Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys
Good news! Just got back from checking out our new exhaust for the Solstice. The sound was fantastic :D - slightly louder than stock, yet still mature with no in-cabin resonance or droning. As a matter of fact on the freeway with the top up the wind noise was louder than the exhaust. When road testing it we found the throttle response was much better than stock and acceleration felt quicker too. We also dynoed the car with stock exhaust (baseline) and then with the sport exhaust. Initial dyno testing of our prototype shows a nice increase in mid-range power, resulting in better drivability and acceleration that we'd felt during the road tests. As of right now this is our single tip sport exhaust with a tip that is slightly larger than stock approximately 3.5" in diam. We also saved 5 lbs. with the new exhaust (stock exhaust weight = 25.3 lbs. - Sport exhaust weight = 20 lbs even) This unit should be going into production shortly... stay tuned!

I can't wait!

Thanks again for your patience.

Neil

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The Stig said:
Hey Guys
Good news! Just got back from checking out our new exhaust for the Solstice. The sound was fantastic :D - slightly louder than stock, yet still mature with no in-cabin resonance or droning. As a matter of fact on the freeway with the top up the wind noise was louder than the exhaust. When road testing it we found the throttle response was much better than stock and acceleration felt quicker too. We also dynoed the car with stock exhaust (baseline) and then with the sport exhaust. Initial dyno testing of our prototype shows a nice increase in mid-range power, resulting in better drivability and acceleration that we'd felt during the road tests. As of right now this is our single tip sport exhaust with a tip that is slightly larger than stock approximately 3.5" in diam. We also saved 5 lbs. with the new exhaust (stock exhaust weight = 25.3 lbs. - Sport exhaust weight = 20 lbs even) This unit should be going into production shortly... stay tuned!

I can't wait!

Neil
Maybe you guys should get together with Stainless Works and get the dual exhaust muffler we all want.
Please talk to Allen their number and Web site is under the General Tech section.
Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LatinVenom said:
Maybe you guys should get together with Stainless Works and get the dual exhaust muffler we all want.
Please talk to Allen their number and Web site is under the General Tech section.
Thanks
Already talked to Al over there. :) Also, dual tip in the plans, a little more complicated because of rear valence... but we are working on it.

Neil

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The Stig said:
Already talked to Al over there. :) Also, dual tip in the plans, a little more complicated because of rear valence... but we are working on it.

Neil
Yes, I know that is the reason for him wanting a car, but his idea for the Dual Outlet with a single Muffler sounds pretty good.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Yes, I know that is the reason for him wanting a car, but his idea for the Dual Outlet with a single Muffler sounds pretty good.
Couldn't agree more. Even if there were no increase in power the look of dual exhaust would be worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
350 Posts
How about posting the pre and post exhaust upgrade dyno results. We would all really want to see that and doubt that anyone would buy it without seeing them. Plus, maybe a sound clip of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
How about posting the pre and post exhaust upgrade dyno results. We would all really want to see that and doubt that anyone would buy it without seeing them. Plus, maybe a sound clip of the exhaust.
:agreee:

Took the words right outta my ... er.. fingers!

Any ballpark on the price? Are you planning to offer a group by or any other sort of special initial offer for forum folks?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The Stig said:
Hey Guys

I can't wait!

Neil
Wow Sting that rocks! And so soon!

Now all you need is a website eh? :glol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Stig said:
Hey Guys

I can't wait!

Neil

Which brand did you test?

Magnaflow or Corsa ?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Can't even consider it without the dual exhaust. I don't care if the extra tip is a fake, as long as it matches original or yours, and it is placed on the other side of the rear. I guess Weslake pipes (should it have a "t" in there?) is out of the question? Probably would look ugly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't worry guys, we'll have a dual tip version as well one more style. 3 different types in total. Initially we felt a single tip would be the best place to start as it requires the fewest mods.

For now this sport exhaust is far better sounding than stock without being obnoxious. Sound clips are coming shortly.

GM has done a pretty good job of extracting max hp from their exhaust system while keeping it quiet. Ours does a nice job of beefing up the mid-range torque to improve driveability. It is truely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Anyone ever heard of the CAT BACK muffler? I have heard it on a few cars, Sounds nice, But is it doable on the SOL?

·
Registered
576 Posts
MITCH said:
Anyone ever heard of the CAT BACK muffler? I have heard it on a few cars, Sounds nice, But is it doable on the SOL?
Cat Back on a Solstice will be a little different than what you may be thinking. With a traditional Cat Back, everything from the catalytic converter and back is replaced, hence the name. On the Solstice, the cataltic converter in almost in the engine compartment and the other end is tied to a long, good sized tailpipe which connects to the muffler which is just behind the back bumper. A Cat Back on the Solstice will only replace the muffler and a small piece of the tailpipe.

It is very doable and will provide an increase in both torque and HP. I am in the process of having one installed on my car.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Crimson Avenger: sorry, I guess I missed your announcement of your delivery 10/04. WAY TO GO! Enjoy.

·
5,600 Posts
I will definitely be in the market for an aftermarket exhaust for my Solstice (when I get it). I was a bit scared off the OEM cat-back when people said expect it to be very LOUD. I want something louder than stock, but not annoying during those long drives.

I will likely chose the quieter aftermarket exhaust between the Kappasphere and the OEM. So thanks for the exiting news!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Stig said:
Hey Guys...

Neil
Are you guys taking a cue from GM? I see you've got advertising up all over the site but still no place to place an order, when can we expect to be able to send you our hard earned money?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
shinoo said:
Don't worry guys, we'll have a dual tip version as well one more style. 3 different types in total. Initially we felt a single tip would be the best place to start as it requires the fewest mods.

For now this sport exhaust is far better sounding than stock without being obnoxious. Sound clips are coming shortly.

GM has done a pretty good job of extracting max hp from their exhaust system while keeping it quiet. Ours does a nice job of beefing up the mid-range torque to improve driveability. It is truely noticeable.
:lurk: cannot wait :lurk:

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
jimbo said:
I was a bit scared off the OEM cat-back when people said expect it to be very LOUD. I want something louder than stock, but not annoying during those long drives.

I will likely chose the quieter aftermarket exhaust between the Kappasphere and the OEM. So thanks for the exiting news!
jimbo, can you refer me to what threads have the content of how the OEM catback is louder than some would like. My Sol should be here monday, but the accessories I requested weren't apparently ordered till yesterday :rolleyes: so they'll get there later. Gives me a chance to cancel that system, if I need too

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts