Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Kentucky Bourbon Tour 25-27 October, 2013

8K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
Detailed plans are still being worked out, but the date is set.

We will leave Lexington, KY at 8AM on Friday morning, 25 October to visit the Kentucky Cooperage and at least one distillery. We will return to Lexington that evening, and leave again at about the same time on Saturday morning to visit another couple of distilleries. Weather permitting, we will have a bonfire at the farm Saturday night. Sunday is optional for either another tour or just going home.

Naturally we will enjoy driving our wonderful back roads throughout the weekend.

#7 ·
Good date for me

As of yesterday, the big green machine knows of my intent to be on leave, and I don't expect any push back. Late October is a good time for me in any regard.

#12 ·
Breakfast Friday morning will be at:

Panera Bread
3705 Palomar Centre Dr
Lexington, KY 40513

We will leave the restaurant parking lot at 8, to arrive at the Independent Stave Cooperage for a 9:30 tour. Closed shoes are required for the tour, and no pictures are allowed while in the facility. From the cooperage we will drive to Bardstown for more touring and lunch. The drive from Lexington to Bardstown is basically highway, so depending on your location and plans you may want to join us at the cooperage Friday morning.

Kentucky Cooperage
712 E Main St
Lebanon, KY 40033

We don't have enough people to get a room deal, so I will list these as the most convenient choices based on our departure point.

Comfort Suites
3060 Fieldstone Way
Lexington, KY 40513
859-296-4446

Hampton Inn
3060 Lakecrest Cir
Lexington, KY 40513
859-223-0088

Marriott Courtyard
3100 Wall St
Lexington, KY 40513
859-224-0460

#17 ·
Sorry it took you a while to find it, and I hope you still have time to plan to attend. I used to post events twice, but got out of the habit a while back. Most OKISS members (and the guy who founded it) are in Ohio and Indiana, even though most activities happen in Kentucky. I have never read the forum by regional sections, so it doesn't occur to me to post for those who do.

I think at this moment four cars are confirmed, with another two probables and two possibles. I have learned to never count cars until we actually leave.

It is looking like this weekend is going to include all the forms of alcohol. The cooperage and two distilleries on Friday, and two more on Saturday. One of those also has a brewery, and we are considering a winery that afternoon to round out the event.

#19 ·
I talked with my wife and she is interested. Work may get in the way though because I have a business trip scheduled for the days leading into your gathering. If you could provide the locations for each day we might could meet up with you all at one of the locations on Friday or Saturday and continue from there.

#20 ·
we are off to Raleigh for birth of 3rd grandchild around the 30th.....

been too long since we saw you....let's try to make it work

#21 ·
Heaven Hill

Hopefully we can get to the Heaven Hill headquarters, there near Bardstown. My buddies and I did the entire Bourbon Trail in May and the Heaven Hill tasting experience is the best. The tasting room looks just like half a Bourbon barrel upside down, and they really guide you through the unique taste of Bourbon, in most of it's variants.

#24 ·
s/b able to commit by 10-01

will stay at Hampton Inn

#25 ·
Hi there!

I might actually be able to do it this year! My young'n is with her mother that weekend. The only thing that might stop me is that I hope to close on selling my house and buying another one that week, which may make for an interesting weekend.

#26 ·
Glad to see you guys may be able to make it.

Heaven Hill is not on the schedule. It is a great experience, but we did it last year and are trying something a little different this time.

Friday will be the cooperage, followed by Willet and 1792. The cooperage is a totally unique experience, Willet is a small-scale distillery, and 1792 will let us see a bottling line in operation.

Saturday will be Barrelhouse and Town Branch distilleries, followed by an as-yet undetermined destination. Barrelhouse is a new distillery, so new they don't have bourbon yet. Town Branch is the newest addition to the Bourbon Trail, and the tour includes a brewery.

One fairly recent change to distillery touring is that most of them now charge for the tour. So far it looks like a total per-person cost will be a little under $30 for the weekend. I will add some more detail a bit later.

#27 · (Edited)
made our reservation but going to have to re-evaluate things

big STICKER SHOCK...$159.00 a night
and no budge for AAA...AARP or SENIORS due to Kingwood (?)
horsie stuff

so we're talking about a $1000.00 weekend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.