Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kerrville 18 will be February 23rd - 25th. Make your plans to drive the best roads in the most scenic area of Texas. For those that don't know, the 3 Sisters area is a technical course and even at slower (Tour) speeds is not a Sunday drive in the park. It is a very challenging and fun drive due to the length and many twisty sections.

We'll be staying at the Best Western Sunday House Inn, 2124 Sidney Baker Street, Kerrville, (830) 896-1313. Rates are really good right now, so book early, you can always cancel later. Too much going on this year for me to mess with a block, maybe next year.

If you have any questions, please aks them in open forum. Chances are pretty good that someone else is wondering the same thing and it also saves me from a PM barrage.

Radios are MANDATORY since we'll be out in the boonies and have zero cell reception.

When you sign up, I need to know whether you want to be in a Run (Fast) or a Tour (Not as Fast) group and how many will be coming. As with all things SWSC, this is an open cruise. We don't care what you show up in, just show up...

2/23 - 0930 Leave from the QT gas station, 324 Clifford Center Dr, Fort Worth
Lunch in Hamilton
Dinner TBD
2/24 - 0800 Run brief in the Sunday House lobby
0820 Line up & commo check
0830 Launch for the 3 Sisters
Lunch at the Bent Rim Grill
Dinner TBD
2/25 - 0845 Go to the house

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I was a first time participant in 2017 and I can testify to the challenge and the fun. My NA coupe was well prepared for handling but I felt it lacked the power to take the Run, so it was Tour for me. Early on I was taking a blind curve at a fair clip when the road suddenly turned 90 deg. I instinctively cranked the wheel and before a prayer could form the tires and chassis did their job. Stuck said later every run should have a few brown spots or you aren't trying hard enough.

Roads used for this event, while twisty, are in good condition and wide enough for edge stripes, with few exceptions. Event rule is to drive your lane, and for good reason. Not only do you not want to meet oncoming traffic but it is very bad form to throw loose **** from the edges at the car behind you.

Most cars were Kappas but ranged from a Miata to a Corvette. A Scion FR-S looked right at home and we had one true Opel GT.

The Kerrville Buick-GMC dealer offered outstanding service, changing an oil pressure sensor before the event and changing a taillight bulb after the event. The bulb required half an hour of overtime and they charged nothing.

I hope to see you all in 2018.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i'm a definite maybe. live in Houston now, but lived in Austin for a year; so I know it's great around there in February and I intend to own my solstice as long as possible; so any ideas I can pickup from other owners; i'm willing to listen.

(couldn't go to fredricksburg as that was octoberfest weekend in Breckenridge CO and my third year going; I highly recommend it.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like fun! I live in Houston but have family near Wimberley, Tx so will be staying with them and driving over to Kerrville, provided I can get my Hahn kit ordered, delivered and installed before then. I will put this on my calendar...thanks Stuck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unfortunately, I will be in the Gulf of Mexico at that time, however, Margo will be there and she will be doing the RUN!(surprise, surprise)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kville is getting close. Can you smell the twisties? I'm coming up on food unit reservation times & if you aren't gonna be there for one of the dinners, I kinda need that info. Basically, if you are on the fence.... unfence.

I've got:
mrs stuck & me- Both
Caris & TerryT- Both
The Fangs- Both
Norma & Tim- Both
Margo- Both?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Consider me unfenced. I just made hotel reservations. Count me +1 in for the run group. We won't make it down in time for dinner Friday night but we will be there for Saturday night.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still waiting on my Hahn kit so car is hood up, chillin in the garage. They said expect to ship this week. That means install next weekend and if all goes well, I'll see you on the twisties. Wish I could say for sure though, but since I can't, no worries on dinner for us. We'll manage. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
AUGH! I want to go but I forgot. I coincidentally pulled up the forum for helpful hints. My car's got a plugged evaporative emission canister so it takes 20+ minutes to refuel. I ordered one today that arrives Monday(19th). But I doubt I can drop the tank, install it and have everything back together in time. I can drive it up from Houston as is (I've got lots of time and patience) but I'm sure you guys would eventually loose it during the looong pit stops in Leaky. But I may surprise you (and myself) and see you there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts