Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI,
I bought one of the Key Fob programmers and a few generic Key Fob's from Amazon. The programmer was $52.00 The Fob's were $8 or so.
It worked perfectly the first time on both of my Solstices. Just plug it in and hit both the lock and unlock on each Fob. The dealer wants to charge something like $50.00 per FOB and $50 to program each car.
It's rare that these things work so well for me so I am excited.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Please post a link to this so that others will know which one you used.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Is the programmer a Dorman brand? Does it limit the number of times you can use it (Dorman's are limited to three uses). I'd love to find one that allows unlimited use.

I had problems with the Dorman I bought at Austozone. After a few days the Driver's Info Center started showing me a "Key Fob Batt Low" message. New batteries didn't help. I found another key fob on eBay that I could program with the Dorman and so far it is working fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
is there anyone in the houston area that has one of these or a tech 2 that would be willing to program 2 key fobs for a fellow solstice owner?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I got 2 fobs off flebay, paid the dealer to program$58, and.....I have 2 key fobs that dont work.....still had to pay dealer...they tried to sell me oe ones before trying to program mine and said the aftermarket ones never work.......I doubt they ever tried to program them. I whis I had seen the amazon stuff first.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Bought an OEM (same part number as my broken one engraved on the back) keyfob from a GM Dealer on Ebay and my dealer programmed it for 15 bucks.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
As long as the part number on the backs of the new ones are the same as the old one, there wont be an issue. If there is, the fob is either bad or the dealer didnt try...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2006 (Canada) that I bought used, also with only the key. Despite various efforts with recommended retailers from you guys and other sources to get a fob, I learned that only the dealer, or a specialized locksmith can get one for you, at about $100 to $200. If you find a cheaper route please share. Home Depot (Canada) uses the part number B111-PT for a key, but they don't stock them here. Enjoy your new Solstice. So much fun!

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I have a 2006 (Canada) that I bought used, also with only the key. Despite various efforts with recommended retailers from you guys and other sources to get a fob, I learned that only the dealer, or a specialized locksmith can get one for you, at about $100 to $200. If you find a cheaper route please share. Home Depot (Canada) uses the part number B111-PT for a key, but they don't stock them here. Enjoy your new Solstice. So much fun!
Unless there is something really unique about Canadian cars this is not the case. A number of people have bought the Dorman fob with programmer and been able to get them to work with their car.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Thanks John. I tried the Dorman fob route as well. It failed to complete the programming . :(
That is odd. The only failure I have heard about (other than yours) was someone who did not actually have a car programmed for RKE. I have not seen anything about Canadian cars being different, so I am really curious about why it didn't work. Did you end up going the dealer route? If you didn't, do you have AU0 and/or PCQ in your list of RPO codes?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi John.
The car's delivery doc does have RKE listed as one of the features, and has the AU0 code listed on the glove box sticker. When I tried the Dorman product it recognized what I was trying to do, but failed to complete. I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money to get the dealer etc to do it. LOL. But that may come back to haunt me one day. I should at least get another key made. Regarding the fob, I suppose it depends on how much it matters to the individual to be able to remote unlock the 3 'doors'. Thanks for replying.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I would definitely get a spare key, at least that you can set up yourself, without any tools.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
For those of you using Dorman, please, please, please, call Dorman!!!! They need to know these remotes programmers are not working. I am getting a second one sent to me because of the "low key fob battery" warning. I can't stress enough how important it is to let a company when something doesn't work! Something my company didn't know was happening was the brake pads on an '05? Expedition can be reversed. The inside pad can fit on the outside and vice versa. People were complaining of squeaking and grinding to us. Our warranty team couldn't figure it out, until the pads were placed under a microscope and the way they were wearing showed up. We now lable each pad INNER and OUTER for front and rear!! Here is their phone number: 1-800-523-2492

Here is the link to the fobs I bought from ebay: 2 for Pontiac G6 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 keyless entry remote key fob | eBay

Reactions: joybill44

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an FYI,
I bought one of the Key Fob programmers and a few generic Key Fob's from Amazon. The programmer was $52.00 The Fob's were $8 or so.
It worked perfectly the first time on both of my Solstices. Just plug it in and hit both the lock and unlock on each Fob. The dealer wants to charge something like $50.00 per FOB and $50 to program each car.
Just an FYI,
Got a key made @ Ace Hardware for my 2007 Solstice in Anthem, AZ for $40!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ive heard somewhere if you change the battery on the sol remote it will need reprograming...this cant be true. is it? never heard of that.my thinken is a lock smith found a new way to make more $$ for changing batterys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts