Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever replace the battery in the key fob for our Sol's? I see a number on the back so figure it can be opened with out breaking it. Have two one dead, got nothing.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Any one ever replace the battery in the key fob for our Sol's? I see a number on the back so figure it can be opened with out breaking it. Have two one dead, got nothing.
Yes, you can change the battery. After prying the case apart, also check the battery holder to make sure it is still soldered to the circuit board, as it is a fairly common reason for key fob failure.

Use the search function for "key fob" to find many, many threads on key fob issues. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
A simple do-it-yourself replacement. Note that the owner's manual gives the battery life as 4 years. So, by now, just about all Solstice owners should have replaced the key fob battery. If not, DO IT.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just replaced my battery last week. I figured it was failing because I could either unlock the doors or open the trunk, but not both (one after the other). So I opened my fob and the battery just about fell out as the holder was no longer held by the three solder points.
So down to the work room and fire up the iron. Now the remote (with new battery and soldered holder) work fine. This for a 2007 GXP that has been in service since 3/2007.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I just did the same thing on one of mine a week ago timlange3.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
When you have the fob open, inspect the solder joints. Most have had them fail. It is relatively simple to fix if you can solder at all. Alternatively take it to the dealer and they will probably replace it under warranty.:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
2002 chevy p/u, 1998 cadillac sls- both have original batteries in fobs. Both driven daily. Not a contest on longevity, but both still work well.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Just as long as you check for those broken solder joints! :devil:

·
Registered
413 Posts
When you have the fob open, inspect the solder joints. Most have had them fail. It is relatively simple to fix if you can solder at all. Alternatively take it to the dealer and they will probably replace it under warranty.:thumbs:
Yeah I also posted in the other thread that if you take it into Batteries Plus they will solder the contact joints for free (and have regular experience with this) and test the battery. Even if you don't need a battery they won't charge you.

They are awesome!

GODROD
Solo Dio

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 07 solstice & have never had to replace the batteries...but I am noticing sometimes it unlocks & other times it doesn't...may be time to replace now...

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yeah I also posted in the other thread that if you take it into Batteries Plus they will solder the contact joints for free (and have regular experience with this) and test the battery. Even if you don't need a battery they won't charge you.

They are awesome!

GODROD
Solo Dio
Highly recommended!!! They are a great place to start. I had the same experience with Battery Plus. Great customer service!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So glad I have extended wr., fob is and they ended up doing two, one would not program with the new one that they did? know Idea why. the wanted $74.00 and $40 to program. Dodged a bullit there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts