Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. That's right, it's raining cats and dogs and I'm stuck with top down, trunk button wont work, key wont come out the ignition to even the off position and tried boosting it off it wont do anything say a word just dead and cold and wet. Please help damsel in distress

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
If jumpering it to another car won't let you do anything your dead battery must be pulling the other too low. I would disconnect the dead battery, then connect the good battery directly to the terminal under the red cap on the underhood fuse block. Do not try to start the engine, but you should now have accessory power and be able to remove the key. Be careful.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
there is a button in the glove box that you can try for the trunk

·
Registered
291 Posts
to get the key out of the ignition, turn the wheel a bit to the right to relief the pressure off the locking mechanism and turn the key at the same time. that should work for you.

As far as opening the trunk, the suggestion to disconnect the battery and connect the battery cables to jumper cables and another car is a good idea. if you can, you should get a lithium ion battery pack. its small and will jump start your car in no time at all. they are about $60-90 depending where you buy them.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
On my car there is a rubber plug under the ignition switch you can remove. Under the plug is a button I can push which will allow you to remove the key. It won't solve your starting problem but it will allow you to remove the key.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
We had a members key get stuck at the nationals. Found it to be a kappa issue. Our person hadn’t had the ignition recall preformed and once home had recall done, which fixed stuck key issue. He could start the car but could not take key out. We had to pull fuel pump fuse each night and disconnect battery to disable car. if we just got it to stop running by stopping fuel flow the light sensor would turn on his lights all night. So we had to disconnect the battery. Was a fun week. Now your issue could just be because of weak battery and hopefully that was it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,219 Posts
On my car there is a rubber plug under the ignition switch you can remove. Under the plug is a button I can push which will allow you to remove the key. It won't solve your starting problem but it will allow you to remove the key.
Your car must have an automatic transmission. Manual transmission cars don't have that little feature.

(y)

·
Registered
195 Posts
No doubt Christie is long gone, but may return to review any posts. It seems people in trouble hastily search the Web for a quick answer and find this forum, make a post, perhaps believing this is a chatroom and hope to get an immediate response to their misfortune. By the time someone posts a response, the person has already moved on for a more immediate solution in their crisis.

All that being said, a similar problem was addressed a couple months ago and Bill is correct. There is a slot under the steering column that can be opened to facilitate the removal of a key. I just went outside - in the dark with a flashlight - and verified the slot is indeed included with manual transmissions. No, I did not pop it open and fully confirm it's existence and functionality, but yes the compartment appears to be there.

Once again, all that being said, this is described in the Owner's Manual as a "Shift Lock Release" and the manual specifically says, "Make sure the shift lever is in PARK."

Here is a link to my original post a couple months ago which includes a diagram from the Owner's Manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
I happened to log in and posted my response about 11 minutes after her request, but whether that was fast enough for her we may never know.

The rubber cover is certainly in all of the steering column covers, but I am reasonably certain that there is nothing under it in cars with manual transmissions since there is nothing to inhibit the operation of the key or the cylinder. Maybe the question will prompt a look into the service manuals, or not.

·
Registered
195 Posts
John, if you'll look at the diagram in the link I provided, the slot in question is not the rubber cover below the ignition switch. It's a slot below the steering column.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
John, if you'll look at the diagram in the link I provided, the slot in question is not the rubber cover below the ignition switch. It's a slot below the steering column.
You are, of course, correct. My statement also applies to the plug in your diagram, however. The park lock function is exclusive to cars fitted with an automatic transmission, so there is nothing behind it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Had the exact same situation (without the rain) in a G5 about a decade ago (think it was an automatic, not my car and don't really remember). Didn't know about the release under the key - had to jump the car to get the key out.

If you think this is bad, in my kid's Boxter, you need power to access the trunk - where the battery is. Their (stupid) solution is a jumper post located in the under-dash fuse box. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts