Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

So my ignition key is stuck in the ignition barrel !!!!

It's in the 'ON' position, which meant that I had to pull the fuse for the coils to kill the engine and then disconnect the ground from the battery to kill everything else!

Any smart locksmiths out there that might have any tricks to allow me to rotate the key to 'OFF' position so I can remove it? The vehicle is booked in to have the Key Recall done, but it's a beautiful day and I really wanna go for a drive. It's quite bizarre, I can start the key but I can't turn it off!

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
There is a button some place on the bottom of the steering shaft to release the Key. I have never seen it, but if you look at your owners manual or do a search on here, you will find it. PM Rob or TomatoSoup. They will be able to get you going.

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
If you have an auto, it could be an interlock failure

If you have not had the ignition lock recall done then its likely the tumblers in the lock have failed and you will need to have it hauled to the dealer to get the lock replaced.

I vote for the former.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
The push button is under a rubber flap half the size of a credit card below the key. It wraps around to the bottom of the steering column.

If your car is automatic, make sure nothing is blocking the shift lever from fully finding PARK. I once had something small resting on the leather shifter boot that stopped it from seating in park which prevented me from removing the key. I don't remember what it was but it was tiny and surprised me that it was enough to make the key not removable.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The push button is under a rubber flap half the size of a credit card below the key. It wraps around to the bottom of the steering column.

If your car is automatic, make sure nothing is blocking the shift lever from fully finding PARK. I once had something small resting on the leather shifter boot that stopped it from seating in park which prevented me from removing the key. I don't remember what it was but it was tiny and surprised me that it was enough to make the key not removable.
thanks that was the problem. A tiny key ring was preventing it from moving fully into park

1 - 6 of 6 Posts