Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey quick question. will there be a keyfob start button. just asking , because i have been seeing alot of gm cars that have it. examples the g6, cadillac, corvette c6 and i think the new colbalt. i would really the like feature on my solstice. i am going to order solstice own soon.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum dman! :thumbs:

You mean remote start I believe. I have not seen anything to indicate it will be available on the Solstice as either standard or optional. I agree that it is a neat feature on the cars that do have it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have key fob keyless entry on my 2004 GMC and a remote start function is not included and from what I have read is not offered on the Sol. :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Usually remote start is not offered with manual transmissions, as far as I know. (Some sort of safety concern with being able to start the car with it not in neutral, I think). We might see the remote start as an option when the automatic transmission becomes available. I believe the automatic is forecasted to be available some time in 2006.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SlipSlider said:
But you can get an aftermarket car starter for a manual right?
You can't auto-start a manual transmition for safety reasons. Automatics are kept in Park. Newer cars won't even let you take the key out unless it's in Park. Since there is no Park gear on a Manual transmition, you would somehow have to verify that the car was in neutral and that the parking brake was on. That kind of computing would defeat the "Manual" aspect of the transmition.

·
Registered
515 Posts
stang said:
You can't auto-start a manual transmition for safety reasons. Automatics are kept in Park. Newer cars won't even let you take the key out unless it's in Park. Since there is no Park gear on a Manual transmition, you would somehow have to verify that the car was in neutral and that the parking brake was on. That kind of computing would defeat the "Manual" aspect of the transmition.
You can indeed get aftermarket kits for manuals. I helped install one on a Lancer (junk car) once. There's a fair amount of bypassing and splicing to make it all work, but details were all spelled out in a nice wiring diagram. So, yes, it can be done.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Chris said:
You can indeed get aftermarket kits for manuals. I helped install one on a Lancer (junk car) once. There's a fair amount of bypassing and splicing to make it all work, but details were all spelled out in a nice wiring diagram. So, yes, it can be done.
Sounds about right. I don't think many dealers or garages will install a remote starter on a manual transmission for liability reasons, but if you are handy enough to install it yourself, it technically can be done.

I wouldn't recommend it though. I know of a person who had one on their car with a manual trans. They accidentally hit the start button without realizing it, and the car was in gear. Luckily the car was parked nose in facing an embankment, so it didn't drive off into traffic or anything. They did completely burn up a set of tires, though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've seen some available that allow you to install on a manual tranny. They even have kits that allow you to bypass the PassKeyIII system. This particular one only works with the car in Neutral and an "arming" switch triggered and it kills the engine if the car goes into gear without the key being inserted. I'll see if I can find this one again and I'll post it.

Here's the website:
http://www.autobarn.net/derestformat.html

Multiple safety features prevent your vehicle from starting in gear or when the hood is open.
Vehicles with certain factory security systems such as VATS - P.A.T.S. - Passlock - Passlock 2 - Passkey 3 - Securlock - Transponder - and Saturn will also require the Universal Alarm Bypass Module (models 20402, 27402, or 29402) or a similar device for installation of any remote starter. The Universal Alarm Bypass Module is available through our site.
Here's the Passkey bypass module:
http://www.autobarn.net/unalbypmodki.html
This product allows you to bypass your vehicle's factory anti-theft system for use with a remote car starter. Works with newer systems including VATS, P.A.T.S., Passlock, Passlock II, Pass-Key III, Saturn, Securlock, and Transponder. The factory anti-theft system continues to protect your vehicle before and after remote starting. Kit includes module, wire harness, transponder loop with connector, cable ties, and step-by-step instructions. By DesignTech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts