Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their key-less remote? If so, other than a dealer where would one purchase a good one? Can I program it or am I stuck with a dealers assistance?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
eBay, Craigslist, the dealer ( he will be the most expensive) you will need to have any remote you purchase programed and make sure to take all the remotes for your vehicle because new programing erases access from you old one.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
First, why do you want another remote? If it's because the buttons don't work on your old one, this could be one of two things: the battery tabs have come loose and need to be resoldered (easy job for someone with a soldering iron, or take it to a Batteries Plus store Ive heard). OR the rubber membrane is breaking down or dirty - clean it or buy a cheap replacement off ebay (<$5).

If you fix your original you won't need to get it reprogrammed. But if you buy a replacement, then ONLY the dealer can reprogram it (as Hoosier says, take all your remotes together).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a new remote as mine would open or lock the car after holding the button for abut 10 seconds. I had replaced the batteries twice and had my wife's Camaro at the dealer for maintenance and wanted this issue fixed. $76 for the factory remote and $57 for the programming, which took about 20 minutes. New remote works like a dream. My only regret is waiting so long to get a new one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I just bought a new remote as mine would open or lock the car after holding the button for abut 10 seconds. I had replaced the batteries twice and had my wife's Camaro at the dealer for maintenance and wanted this issue fixed. $76 for the factory remote and $57 for the programming, which took about 20 minutes. New remote works like a dream. My only regret is waiting so long to get a new one.
It was probably the membrane. Could've bought a new one for a few bucks and saved the programming cost too :)

Sorry, day-late, dollar short. :devil:

·
Registered
263 Posts
We can program remotes at out shop with our solus scan tool, so I'd like to think that anyone with a solus, verdict, or versus could technically program it... just make sure you get the right part number remote so it has the right frequency

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
It was probably the membrane. Could've bought a new one for a few bucks and saved the programming cost too :)

Sorry, day-late, dollar short. :devil:
I agree with TS. The dealer no doubt was more tan happy to take your money but for a few bucks, you could have fixed the old one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 which was in storage for 6 years, with 721 miles. It only had 1 key / no fob. Bought 2 fobs from wholesale 24/7 on ebay $52 w/ship & found a locksmith who programed them for $45. Also bought a blank key w/chip for $15 & same locksmith charged $6. You might find even better deals on Amazon etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Anyone have the glow in the dark membrane? seems like a decent idea except that it will not capture any light sitting in my pocket as it normally does.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
jp makes a good point. I know there have been huge strides in luminescent pigments (molded some for glow in the dark signs at work) but those can be REALLY expensive.

Kadet - have you found a price on those?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts