Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Killing my car little by little...

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  gmhopeful 
#1 ·
I just need to rant a little.:willy:
I bought my 08 GXP in pristine condition.
I wash it weekly and it stays garaged.I do, however drive it daily,andenjoy this car more than any I have ever owned.I came out of wal mart a few months back,and found a shopping cart SLAMMED into the front right corner.I was parked waay off to myself.It looked deliberate,but management wouldnt help retrieve video to see if it was intentional,and told me to call the police.I got a nice gash,and dent out of that one.
Found a door ding/scratch 2 weeks later from somewhere new.
Coming home from work had a nice size rock fly up and smack my windshield,
then a crack started running from left side to right a few weeks later.

Yesterday while traveling down I-85 with the top down some metal came flying by my head from a tractor trailer,and one piece slammed the hood,and placed 2 nice sized dents/scratches.
WTH!!??:cuss:
I could drive a piece of crap for years and never even get a ding
on it.I buy this car,shine on it,put a car cover on it daily while at work
and the world seems to have a target on my baby.
Guess its time to call state farm and get my girl back to her former
self :(
Rant off..:chill:

See less See more
#3 ·
been there.... mines seen the body shop like 5 times

#4 ·
There is something about these cars that makes them targets for every freaking thing out there. Day I bought mine, a pick up tossed a rock up and hit the hood then the windshield. A few weeks later my nephew ran into it w/his bike. Shortly after that it was a walnut that dented the hood. Add to that my grandmother backing into the front driver's side & my father hurling a rock from the lawnmower @ it! Argh!!!! None of the damage has been extensive, but it has added up! I feel your pain, man!

#5 ·
It is a low car with not the greatest drag coefficient. :lol:

And I am pretty sure the Sky is even worse.

On just one trip from CO to NE: I killed 7 birds. I can watch them literally get sucked DOWN by the vortex at the front of the car. (a meadowlark makes quite the bang when impacting at about 90 MPH) :rofl:

#6 ·
The first day I bought my car, I stopped at a Mall to do some shopping and parked under a palm tree for shade. instead something fell from the palm and gave e a small crack on my windshield. two weeks later, somebody stuck gum on my top..... I feel your pain.

#8 ·
I came out of wal mart a few months back,and found a shopping cart SLAMMED into the front right corner.I was parked waay off to myself.It looked deliberate,but management wouldnt help retrieve video to see if it was intentional,and told me to call the police.I got a nice gash,and dent out of that one.
I would never drive to Wal-Mart in this car. I would never go grocery shoping in this car either. This is not really practical car for shopping. With top down there is pretty much no storage, with top up you can store some, but the way the trunk opens is not very convenient for loading groceries. On other hand though, the groceries would arrive home in style:)
On the highway I try to pass the trucks fast and not follow them. So far the road was merciful for me, not dings or paint chips since I bought the car last October, about 1500 miles ago. I also would not wash any of my cars weekly, but this is just me:thumbs:

#9 ·
I occaisionally stop at Wal-Mart while I'm out in the SKY, but I park waaaay out from the building.

I've had the car almost 2 years, and have only washed it once, when I got caught in rain unexpectantly. It gets rinsed about once a week, though. It's garage kept, and not a daily driver.

#11 ·
Yep...I always thought the same thing. Some people seem to think it's like we're saying "I'm too good to park amongst you commoners..." :lol:

I usually use my wife's handicapped tag (with my wife along of course..it would be against the rules without her.. :nono::rolleyes:). That's one thing about Walmart...their handicap parking is huge. You could get 20 cars in the space of 4 of their handicap spots!

#15 ·
I just need to get a beater to do battle with atlanta traffic.
No good can come from using this car commuting here.
Had another smaller rock hit the window today.
I did enjoy playing on 129 Sunday,til GSP ran us off the mtn.
Thats what I enjoy doing with my car the most :)

#16 ·
Empathy!

Feelin' for you, friend.
I am very fortunate to own 4 cars---2 daily drivers (Kia Ronda and Honda Insight) and 2 fun roadsters (the GXP and an MX-5 Miata). I can keep the drop-tops covered and garaged until the weather is perfect.
Nevertheless, I've had thrown road debris nick up the noses of both sportscars. It's a permutation of Murphy's Law!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.