Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For three and a half years now I have had this knocking sound behind my seat any time I hit a bump. I have tore the panels off behind the seats and looked and everything I could think of and have not been able to figure it out until today. I was under my car installing a Backbone from DDMworks and noticed something in front of my rear tire that seemed...LOOSE.

you will notice that in this picture the little brake line bracket is just hanging out. There is a notch and a bolt conveniently in that location to secure this little bracket. It is right in front of the rear tire, no need for jacks, ramps or anything just a wrench. I tightened these two (drivers and passenger side) brackets down and the noise went away:thumbs:
I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know right! I was so relieved that I fixed it, then I was kind of pissed because it was overlooked. I had even taken it to the dealership under warranty to have the knocking fixed, and they could not find anything.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
lol! Good find - thanks for sharing!

Getting ready for a road trip, I replaced the donut between the cat and the exhaust pipe last night. Just got started and dropped a socket, heard a "plink" then a rolling sound. You gotta be kidding me! That didn't drop to the floor? Nosed around and found it resting perfectly aligned on one of the suspension arms. Cool - poked it out and continued.

Tightening the last bolt between the cat and the header I sprung the box end wrench I was holding, it dropped and then . . . nothing. NO WAY! Looked underneath and all I could figure was that it ended up on the "shroud" beneath the transmission tunnel. Great, I'm going on a 700 mile trip and I'm going to have to listen to a wrench rattling underneath the car. Running out of time, I decided to poke my fingers into some of the holes in the shroud - was able to get my middle finger (the most useful of all fingers, isn't it?) on the shank and pull it out!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Thanks for posting. Add another to the 'rattles & knocks' sources list :)

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Must have been built on a Friday or Monday! Workers anxious to get off for beer, or suffering from too much weekend beer!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
you's be amazed at how much noise even the littlest things would make. especially inside a small area like our cars. On the Vette, I added a pair of 10" subs and got this terrible vibrations in the rear of the vehicle. I tightened all the bolts I could and stuffed some padding on top of the box with no resolve. then I decided to jam it and feel around and it was coming from the rear window. someone down the line changed it out and it wasn't sealed in a few spots. ended up having to remove it and re-install it with the correct sealant. I have some klunking on mine that I'm sure is coming from the axel but I'm honna check those brackets for sure. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I posted a similar noise a few months ago and was refered to the door latch, putting on my rear splash guards this weekend and will take a look!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have to forgive me; the picture is upside down, in case there was any wondering. It was a surprising find since the bolts were there, just never got properly installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts