Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing Koni sport adjustables (yellow, if that makes a difference) on my 07 cool GXP with the stock springs. I got one of the struts off and fitted with spring and cap on and have not installed it yet. will the adjustable Koni and stock spring make the car sit lower? It seems like it is going to lower the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Theoretically it shouldn't. The spring should control the height of the vehicle, the strut should just act as a dampener to the springs oscillations. I don't see, if using the stock springs, how changing the struts should lower the car, unless they mount differently than the oem ones?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am installing Koni sport adjustables (yellow, if that makes a difference) on my 07 cool GXP with the stock springs. I got one of the struts off and fitted with spring and cap on and have not installed it yet. will the adjustable Koni and stock spring make the car sit lower? It seems like it is going to lower the car.
It will lower your car a little bit due to the fact the KONI gas pressure is lower than that of the BILSTEIN shocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I finished the install yesterday and the car is a half inch lower. I believe that overall length of the shocks is the same but the seat depth of the nut is a bit lower on the Koni than the bilstein, causing the spring to be compressed a little more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone has questions or is stuck on this kind of install, post here. I am subscribed to this thread and can try to answer your questions. It was not the easiest install but worth the effort, and satisfying if you are one of those guys who likes to work on cars. I am not a mechanic, just a guy with a lot of tools who likes to tinker with his car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kool: I have a newly installed set of " yellow" hi performance Koni's and the car is slightly lower; I also installed a full set of Urethane inserts at the same time. The difference is striking. [ 2009 GXP with lots of upgrades. Click on my CASam for a listing. ]

Would be interested to hear from other Koni admirers.

CA Sam

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

I put Konis on my '06 along with 2009 "Street Edition" springs (GXP rate, length to keep NA ride height). I don't think it affected my ride height any, but I didn't measure it. It certainly wasn't visibly noticible. Then again, I changed both springs and shocks, and my original shocks had 50kish on them, so there's a lot of variables in that mix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats awesome CAS! How do you like the feel of the new suspension?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts