Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed the KW V3's today and couldn't be happier so far. Maybe a bit of history on what we've done so far in our quest to make a track car that can embarass some more expensive iron on the track.

In January, we bought the GXP coupe, 5-speed with only 9600 miles on the odo.

The first mod was the HPTuners tune along with, of course, the new MAP sensors and the snazzy, no-cut harnesses from CED. Plug and play and worked perfectly. We have some experience with engine management and elected to do our own tuning. As we have pretty warm weather at the tracks we run - especially this time of year, we went with a modest 20 lbs of boost along with 104 octae race fuel. Absolutely no knock events when datalogging. Maybe we're leaving a few ponies on the table, but the car pulls HARD and we want it to have longevity with 20 minute track sessions on a 4.0mi road course. Very, very, pleased with the flexibility of the HPTuner software.

While dialing in the engine tune, DDM had a sale on their reinforcement plates and we bought and installed all 3 as a package. Installation was a breeze thanks to very good fitment - Thanks DDM!

The next mod was the often-mentioned Cobalt SS Brembo brake upgrade. Of course then the OEM wheels will no longer fit - necessitating the next mod which was Enkei wheels via TireRack. Waited and waited for some Hankook RS3's to get off backorder and when the never did, we finally ordered some Bridgestone RE-11's in a 265/40-18. Fnally, we ordered the Z0K sway bars and installed these to lessen body roll.

With this set-up we did our first track event and the car performed really well. We had two different experienced drivers try out the car and both complained that the car was too quiet - making it hard to hear RPMs and needed shift points. The other complaint was that the springs were too soft.

Following this first track event, I called Solo and ended up ordering the "full race" 3" stainless exhaust as well as their cat test pipe. Once again installation was very easy as the Solstice has proven to be an easy car to work on. With all of this done, I finally ordered the KW V3's which we installed today. Again, the front and rear install steps are substantially similar and pretty straightforward. We have made several iterations on the height adjustments and are now pretty much where we want to be. We have a full 2" of lowering at the rear and 1.75" up front. So far, with our wheel/tire combo, we have no rubbing. Camber in the rear is -1.8 degrees and in the front it is -1.9. This is about where we want it for our next outing, so we'll try out these settings before changing it.

Here are some pics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody have idea for more cooling capacity? So far the car is pretty much stock except for the aforementioned engine tuning. The last time out ambient temps were ~90F and coolant temps would rise with each lap. I'd say we could do 2-3 (3 mile lap configuration) laps and then we'd have to run a cool-down lap as temps would easily arrive above 230F. We're going to run almost a straight water solution with some water wetter but ambient temps this time may be closer to 100F.

I know our next step - sometime soon will be to pull the AC and all of the components out.... just can't do that yet to the Coupe. Once we go that far we will likely gut and cage it but that's a step I can't bring myself to do yet!!

Anyone else have any cooling tricks/experience with the Sol?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Performance Autowerks makes a larger core radiator that might be worth looking at.

I noticed right after I lowered mine, I saw an increase in temps. I've wondered if lowering the car has effected how the the air damn functions. However, since temps stay under 215 for the most part (only really going 205+ idling in park), I've not put much effort into figuring it out.

Nice looking coupe you have. Good luck at the track. Keep us updated :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts