Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I have been trolling around on here for a while reading and learning as much as I can about the LNF and I just seem confused about a couple things.

I am having a hard time with the mods some of these cars have and the HP numbers they are putting down? It seems like these cars should put way more power down than they do. I also know HP isn't the end all but I havn't even seen a good trap speed from one of these cars that is remotley impressive. Granted doesn't seem like a lot of these cars are making it to the track and I don't really think that is what they are for.

I have had a few DSM's and a similar modded 4G63 engine is laying down quite a bit more power and that is AWHP. Now i'm not trying to start arguments over motors and blahh blahh but it just seems a LNF with some work and a 35r should be putting down some serious power. So whats the drawback?

This leads me into my other question, fueling, is this the problem? From what I have gathered these cars can't really spin over 7k rpm because of the High Pressure pump just doesn't work at these RPM's. So is this why the numbers are lower? The lower RPM not letting the higher numbers come out.

Thanks
Paul

oh and 08 Brazen GXP is in route from Arizona should be here Monday!

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Me? I am just tired of not seeing W(HERE) the heck HERE is. The guy could be around the corner or in BFE, but if he will not fill out his information card, how would I know???? :thumbs:

Getting excited to head WEST!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Send the Kappa back, you won't be happy; it is a Roadster, not a drag car.

But if you do a search, there are several members that have built it up. You will have to crack the engine open to go above 400 HP / 400 Lbs of Torque. Once you hit the 500 level, you will notice pretty much everyone playing there has gone to a supplemental fueling system of some kind. We have a couple members that are playing up in the insane levels of 700-800. But to get there takes a lot of doing and a lot of money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HERE would be this forum.

I wasn't looking for a drag car I was looking for a roadster.
I was just looking for some feedback on the limitations of the
car and why it seems so hard to get over 400hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HERE is at my house in Rochester Hills Michigan, what does it matter?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Fueling is an issue past 400whp, you need to add additional injectors solve that. Think i also read that the cam phasers go back to 0 degrees after like 7500rpm or so.
Lack of cam upgrade options due to an extra love to drive the high pressure fuel pump.

I also think the ecm is one of the problems, with a dsm it was simple to extract power out of it, if the ecm sees more air it add's more fuel unless there's knock. With the bosch ecm it looks through 100's of lookup tables to make sure everything is right.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It is not difficult to get over 400 HP. But over 400, you need to crack into the engine and start upgrading internals. Assuming you want it to last.

Hell, the WyoTech kids have a funny car running an LNF that puts down well over 1000 HP. The Fricken Turbo is bigger than the head on the engine. :lol:

This engine is different tech, from the typical ricer block that gets it's power by twisting to 8000 RPM. (I have a 1990 CRX with 170,000 miles on it: And it doesn't even wake up until 6000 RPM) The DI, VVT and twin scroll turbo were all designed to get to peak torque at a much lower RPM. The sacrifice is you can't twist it as high up top. But that doesn't really matter because you are building torque so much faster that you are already there anyway.

GM Performance Division produced a "How To" book on the LNF, that tells you step by step what should be done at each power level. Search around on the forum, I have seen a link posted to it several times.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There it is, well done Dave:

Ok, Vroomchu: Go to pages 86 - 87 to see the official GM failure points at different HP levels and/or RPM levels. I find it interesting that they recommend upgrading pistons above 300 HP on the LNF. Whereas we haven't seen pistons let go that much. But we have seen rockers let go, yet they show no need to upgrade until 700 HP. So I guess this is more of a "guideline". :lol:

But a lot of very valuable information in that link. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Me? I am just tired of not seeing W(HERE) the heck HERE is. The guy could be around the corner or in BFE, but if he will not fill out his information card, how would I know???? :thumbs:

Getting excited to head WEST!!!! :cool:
When I said I did not understand, I meant the OP not you. I understood you :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
welcome to the forum

congrats & good luck on your new project :party:

there's a lot of good info available here , if yuh dig ......and always someone wth an answer .......

looking forward to hearing what you do yours.........modding and tuning threads are always my fav reads :grouphug:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the link, spent some time cruising through most of it last night. There is some good information and specs in there. I will keep eveyone updated on progress.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts