Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the photocopied one page product specification that my local dealer gave me yesterday, I noticed that this vehicle does not come with a spare tire. I assume a spare wheel will be available for purchase aftermarket. Does anyone know if it will be? I guess on one hand the lack of a spare tire does make more room in a smallish trunk, but if your tire was to be sliced or you have a blowout- you would have to be towed, and would need to have almost immediate access to a new tire, and possibly an entire wheel............What does the general Solstice fan population think about the lack of a spare tire?

·
4,592 Posts
if you get a spare, you'd have to carry it in the passenger seat :devil: No trunk space for it. Try a search, lots of discussion on this, or maybe you'll start a conversation du jour :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's becoming more common in small roadsters to leave out the spare. Space is real issue and they give you a fix-a-flat inflator kit.

I guess in today's world of cell phones and AAA memberships they figure we can manage.

Heard new 2006 Miata also did same thing...anyone?

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
I guess in today's world of cell phones and AAA memberships they figure we can manage.

True! A lot of miata owners leave the spare doughnut at home, some only carry it on long trips. I like the idea of leaving it at home unless on a long trip. If you're in the middle of the desert in the Southwest US, waiting for a tow could be tough for several reasons. But around town, a flat is a AAA call fix :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Accepted by Production

Saw your post - called the new car sales mgr. today... my update, not an actual production date, it is now stating "Accepted by Production Control" ---at least its news!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't like the idea of no spare either. Even though I haven't had the need for one in years, I kind of like the peace of mind. My Z3 has one that is mounted up under the rear of the car that you release with a wing nut in the trunk. I haven't ever needed it in the eight years I've had the car, so I have no idea how awkward it is to actually get down. But it's nice to know it's there at least. Of course, I'm thinking that the lack of a spare may "coincidentally" boost the sales of the optional On-Star system in the car. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah, but at least it would be something else I could put on to keep from ruining my wheel. I could at least get home or to a tire store, even if I had to do 10 mph the whole way. And if the tire on the donut was too old to hold air, I wouldn't care about ruining the donut wheel ... I could always pick up another at a junk yard. Just not too keen on the idea that having my car towed could be the only option if I shred a tire. Oh well ... just one of the little concessions I'll have to make for this cool little car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll admit to having driven on a donut spare that was essentially flat, and I'll agree that it was better than ruining a wheel. Trust me, you can go much faster than 10mph on those suckers.

The Sol won't even come with a jack, will it? At least you could remove the flat, hitch a ride with a tall curvy redhead in a 59 Cadillac to go get the tire fixed, then ride the fixed wheel back to the car, a la the BC comic strip.

I guess we'll need either On-Star or a cell phone & a AAA membeship.

Off topic: what I want to see is a racing series where each car has to run at least 1 donut spare at all times. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the photocopied one page product specification that my local dealer gave me yesterday, I noticed that this vehicle does not come with a spare tire. I assume a spare wheel will be available for purchase aftermarket. Does anyone know if it will be? I guess on one hand the lack of a spare tire does make more room in a smallish trunk, but if your tire was to be sliced or you have a blowout- you would have to be towed, and would need to have almost immediate access to a new tire, and possibly an entire wheel............What does the general Solstice fan population think about the lack of a spare tire?
If a spare tire would be available you could use a hitch mount to carry it on trips

·
Registered
2 Posts
No Spare - major blowout!

About 3 weeks after buying my Solstice, I hit some road construcxtion debri and totally blew out my tire. Fortunately, these "self-inflating" tires will act as a space-saver by allowing you to drive up to 50 miles at 50mph. The downside is that these tires are well over $300 and need to be replaced as soon as possible. But that is really no different than the space-saver tires (of which I was very much against from their introduction)!

Hey! This Solstice is a "toy," not a car! Once you get that through your head, all will be well!!

One other note in case you haven't already found out....it does NOT handle well during inclement weather. I have spun out two cars in 40 yrs of driving - both sports cars (my Fiat Spyder and the Solstice).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Spares are an anachronism

In all my time of driving, I have never been stuck because of a flat tire and needed a spare. However, I have been stuck because of clogged cats, broken alternaters (multiple times), leaking hoses, broken belts, damaged radiator, broken fuel line, bad gas, no gas, dead battery, accident impact damage, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that flat tires are no longer the major issue with auto reliablilty. If anything, I should carry an extra alternater in the car!:)

Way back in the dark ages, tires weren't nearly as reliable as they are today. You needed a spare for your Model A (maybe two!) because you probably would get a flat. Now they really just take up space in your car (and valuable space in the Sol at that) compaired to other things that could go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,174 Posts
In 30 years of driving I have had one flat tire that could not have been healed with the compressor and tire sealant that came with the car. Or with the plug kit that I added.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts