Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hmmm...

Just thinking. How sick would these look on a Sol?

http://www.verticaldoors.com/purchase.html

I mean I don't like the "ricer" (no offense) culture, but having these doors would really not be that noticeable when you were driving around in the car,. But when you got out: HOLY ****! :willy:

·
Registered
72 Posts
but, would Vicki dig it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, that was the first mod I thought of after seeing Solstice pics with the hood/trunk open. Will I do it? No. A little to rice for my taste and I would hate myself for chopping into an EOP car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2Xphoenix said:
but, would Vicki dig it?
Ahh... A valid question...

It would definitely make my Sol stand out from the "crowd" of them in the future. :cool: I don't think it makes the car look too riced because when you're driving around nobody would ever know about the mod. I'm seriously considering doing this to my EOP car. I was wondering, however, if anyone had ever had suicide doors. Are they a pain in the ass?

EDIT: Also, I don't know how it will be for the Solstice (if they even make a kit for it) but on all the other kits, you don't have to do any chopping. Apparently (their words, not mine) you can take the car back to stock, no problemo

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You mean scissor doors... and no, don't do it. it'll cost WAY too much to have it done right. All those ricey door-mod kits make it so shi**y, it works like this: you open the door out about 8 inches and then swing it up. To close you bring it back down and then push it in. Very stupid! Once you are opening the door outwards, why not just keep pushing and open the door. Too much effort to push it out, then up. Now for a good 10 grand or so you could get REAL scissor doors, the ones that open the right way; up and slightly out at an angle. but the rice mod doors are more trouble than they're worth. In fact, the rice doors are more trouble than the real ones are worth... cause when you F up your doors and the hinge gets all loose and they fall off, then you'll have repairs costs that far exceed the original price. If I can find the time, I'll try and get a comparison video up of a REAL Lamborghini door opening as opposed to the modified ricer door.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dori! I'll look around for some comparative vids too!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would have loved good Lambo doors on my Camaro!! The normal swing is SOOO wide it smacks everything!! Swinging up makes so much more sense! I sure wish manufacturers would seriously look at this issue! It may well be those pesky "crash tests" that prevent it :lol:

On the Sol though, I personally don't think the Lambo doors would look good open. They are large compared to body and i think they would look huge hanging there open.

Any Photoshop gurus want to take a shot at mocking it up? Doors open of course LOL

I just wish the door handles looked nicer!! Aftermarket, are you listening??? :yesnod:

·
Registered
391 Posts
The "Lambo Doors" are WAAAAAAYYYY over done.
You just cant put vert doors on any car and call it cool. Some are and some AINT
I am burnt out on them, now they dont even turn my head.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
The "Lambo Doors" are WAAAAAAYYYY over done.
You just cant put vert doors on any car and call it cool. Some are and some AINT
I am burnt out on them, now they dont even turn my head.
yeah, i really dont like lambo doors. if you have to do something, try suicide doors, but personally, ill just be leaving mine alone.

·
Registered
753 Posts
how do you get in and out without banging your head? personally i'm practicing my vault over the door and plop in the driver's seat a'la dukes of hazzard.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Who needs doors? Im slidin off the trunk lid straight in this bitch

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
dori-san said:
If I can find the time, I'll try and get a comparison video up of a REAL Lamborghini door opening as opposed to the modified ricer door.
Time permitted it... ~28mb, *.mov as requested by Nix. RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS. Thanks again to Brentil for hosting.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Skyolstice said:
Who needs doors? Im slidin off the trunk lid straight in this bitch
Yeah, too bad the nacelles are there or we could do it Jackie Chan style!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nix Sol said:

The problem is that on a real lambo door it is made to close in a vertical motion. When you convert a car to this type of door it still needs to close with a horizontal motion. I agree that there is nothing better than the real thing, but you will never get a conversion kit to do that. At least I don't think you would without changing the roof.

Not that I really would want to do that. Too ricey for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I think probably I was thinking too hard about it looking classy. With only a few Sols on the road, I doubt it will look anything but. I think we can still do it Jacki Chan style, Dori. Once I get mine we can practice!

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the hugenormous poster thing I got in the mail from them, I doubt we'll be able to do it "J.C" style. but not because of the nacelles. I think the headrests rising above them poses more of a problem. That's ok though, we'll just have to come with our own unique way of getting in!

·
Registered
180 Posts
SCREW LAMBO DOORS!!! I WANT THESE DOORS!!!!

They call it their Helical something something door system. LOL Sorry I don't know the specific name of their door system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts