Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 60 Minutes clip from 1987 came up on an old Lambo group I belong to, and after watching it I thought some of you guys might enjoy it. It hasn't been generally available as the show tends to keep a tight grip on their material.

There is nothing quite like a V12 engine at full cry. I know there are people that really like the V8 (and even a 4 cylinder fan once in awhile ;) but the 12 cylinder scream is hard to beat. I hope some of you enjoy this.

1987: Lamborghini - 60 Minutes - CBS News

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Great Vid. The sick part is I remember watching the original broadcast, from my dorm room in College. :lol:

To a lesser degree, one could overlay "Solstice" or "Sky" to the audio and this video would be almost spot on with our little cars. I have never owned a car that gets so much attention as my Sky. And sadly, that is even true when compared to my previous ride and it was way more rare than the Sky. Something about the Kappa platform creates almost a genetic level reaction from people.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Music to older ears!

4, 6, 8, 12................all beautiful!

And the aroma is fantastic too! :thumbs:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always wanted one of those.

The problem is they are selling now for more then when they were new!

·
Registered
258 Posts
a 12 cylinder is just Lambos signiture dish for their flagship.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Vid. The sick part is I remember watching the original broadcast, from my dorm room in College. :lol:
Worse, I remember when I first went to university (late 1960s) there was a gold Miura that parked on campus. He had it for sale for $15,000, which sounds paltry today, but the minimum wage was $1.50 an hour and a brand new top line American car cost under $5,000. Ironic thing is that now, 40 years later, I still can't afford a Miura - the prices have recently been in the $4-500,000 range :(

Just as bad were cars like a $6,000 AC Cobra that recently sold for a quarter mill etc. etc.

Don't think we'll have to worry about that with our Kappas, assuming they still allow gas powered cars 40 years from now.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a 12 cylinder is just Lambos signiture dish for their flagship.
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

In the period we are talking about, Lamborghini only made V12s for their main product, although they had dabbled for awhile with V8s in the Uraccos and similar small cars. They had started out in V12s and didn't really change that until this millennium.

It wasn't until much later that they got into V10 engines and kept the V12s for their top of the line models. A friend owned a Gallardo with the V10 and with just under 500 BHP and only about 100 lbs. more than a Kappa, it was a fun car, but he finally sold it because he was afraid to leave it anywhere, it was a pig in traffic and he wound up driving it only once in awhile on weekends. Not terribly practical, but fun, I guess.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Worse, I remember when I first went to university (late 1960s) there was a gold Miura that parked on campus. He had it for sale for $15,000, which sounds paltry today, but the minimum wage was $1.50 an hour and a brand new top line American car cost under $5,000. Ironic thing is that now, 40 years later, I still can't afford a Miura - the prices have recently been in the $4-500,000 range :(

Just as bad were cars like a $6,000 AC Cobra that recently sold for a quarter mill etc. etc.

Don't think we'll have to worry about that with our Kappas, assuming they still allow gas powered cars 40 years from now.
Back in 1973 I wrote a letter to Carl Haas, the American distributor for Lola, asking him if he knew of any beat up Lola T-70 Mark III coupes that might be available for purchase. I had a project in mind for a street version of the car.

He replied that he had a Coupe that was available for $25,000. It was #1, the Geneva Auto Show car, introducing the T-70 MK III coupe to the world, 5 liter small block Chevy included.

20-20 hindsight dictates I should have dug deep and bought it, but the reality of the time was that I was a law student, living in a one room apartment, and didn't even have a garage. I passed on the opportunity.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez - that is another high dollar car - only 16 built and now worth $2-300,000.

I started racing back in the early 70s when old sports racing cars weren't worth anything - vintage hadn't started yet and they were just old non-competitive cars. I passed on a bobtail Cooper Climax for $1,000 that later sold for around $25,000. The former owner followed the car and recently told me that it is for sale in Britain for 120,000 pounds now....aughhhh!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

In the period we are talking about, Lamborghini only made V12s for their main product, although they had dabbled for awhile with V8s in the Uraccos and similar small cars. They had started out in V12s and didn't really change that until this millennium.

It wasn't until much later that they got into V10 engines and kept the V12s for their top of the line models. A friend owned a Gallardo with the V10 and with just under 500 BHP and only about 100 lbs. more than a Kappa, it was a fun car, but he finally sold it because he was afraid to leave it anywhere, it was a pig in traffic and he wound up driving it only once in awhile on weekends. Not terribly practical, but fun, I guess.
That Lambos Flagship started out with a V12 and though many companies are "Moving with the Times" going to V8's that are N/A or Forced inducted Lambo even for the Aventador with all the emission laws coming into play still kept the "Signature Dish" the V12 in its Top of the line car.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks for clarifying - I figured it was something like that.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

By God: There are a couple examples of cars that actually beat the inflation calculator:

Miura:
1968 Price = $15,000
2012 Price adjusted for inflation = $98,751.72
Current Market Value = $400,000 > $500,000

Cobra:
1968 Price = $6,000
2012 Price adjusted for inflation = $39,500.69
Current Market Value = $250,000

Maybe there is some chance for those hiding their GXP Coups in a warehouse. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm thinking your analysis of Kappa future values may be spot on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts