Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
I bought mine as part of the 2009 DDMWorks Nationals group buy. Dave set up a scale where the more people who bought the hinge set, the lower the price went.

The retail price is something around $1500 - 1700 last time I checked. Check with DDM works and see what they are selling them for currently.

I bought mine for less than $1000 but it was 2009 and 11 set group buy.

Dave installed mine at Nationals for me. I paid him $500.

You can ask Jeff at Chicpmagic.biz how much his price is today. He has a good discount from VDI and can give you a good idea on price and installation.

Dave told me that installation required from 4 to 8 hours depending on how well (or poorly) your car is aligned. Figure a low of $60 an hour to a high of $120 per hour.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I had Dave (DDMWorks) do mine. I got them at on a special sale but they're listed on their site for $1199. They did the install and I'm thinking I paid $600 or 650 but not really sure....got some other things done at the same time. If I remember correctly, the inside of the hood had to be modified slightly for it to fit correctly.

I do get constant comments on them...usually "Did that come with doors like that?"

One thing to watch out for.....do not close your hood with the doors open!!! They will hit!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Getting mine from Vertical Doors for $700 and intsall them myself. should take about 4 hours, closer to 6.
Give yourself a good 8 hour window. That's how long it took me but I was a one man show when I installed mine. Got mine a few years ago on an E-bay make offer listing for 800.00. One word of caution. The grease fittings are very fragile and can be a bear to get to once installed (for future reference) :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Give yourself a good 8 hour window. That's how long it took me but I was a one man show when I installed mine. Got mine a few years ago on an E-bay make offer listing for 800.00. One word of caution. The grease fittings are very fragile and can be a bear to get to once installed (for future reference) :thumbs:
Good point

First, the hinges are in my opinion very robust. Nice solid design that functions very well.

Second, you need to adjust the height at least once after they have been installed as they will sag slightly as they settle in. Once I adjusted mine after about a month, they have requried no adjustment since.

Third, plan on lubricating them on a regular basis. I do mine in the spring and fall. They need to stay well lubricated to function as designed.

As Gunny stated, the zerk fittings are interesting. Mine are very early hinges and have 4 fittings per side. And the fittings are 1/8th inch pressed in fittings. I had one pull out with the grease gun and it was a bear to replace. I spoke with Dave and he tells me that the newer design has screwed in "normal" zerk fittings but they are at an odd angle and require some care.

The challange being with the pressed units they can pull out and the screwed in fittings can break requireing some work to repair.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Do you think the thread title (Lamo doors) is a Freudian slip.....;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Do you think the thread title (Lamo doors) is a Freudian slip.....;)
I was also wondering that. I expected this to be a thread bashing Lambo doors, glad to see it's not.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I'm 4 hours south of you and I've installed over 10 of these kits. If you want help, let me know.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm 4 hours south of you and I've installed over 10 of these kits. If you want help, let me know.
I would take him up on this. The more helping hands and experience the better and smoother the install.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would take him up on this. The more helping hands and experience the better and smoother the install.
Or just follow the thread/link in the link I gave you previously. Keep in mind that the Sky and Solstice are different. The link I gave you helps the install on both cars.. trust me, its alot easier than you think .....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
311 Posts
Getting mine from Vertical Doors for $700 and intsall them myself. should take about 4 hours, closer to 6.
How did you manage that price they are showing them $1100 :( got any ideas for any group buy anyone here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts