Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my Solstice to work yesterday :). I bought her brand new so I know exactly how she has been maintained and driven. She has 65,250 miles and is garage kept. The weather was cool with a high temp in the mid-40s. She was parked in my office garage all day. When I got off work and got to my car, there was a fairly large puddle under the front end. The low coolant light was on so I was afraid one of the hoses had been damaged or I had blown a water pump. So I called a tow truck to bring her home. This morning, we put her up on the ramps and could not find any leaks or drips. I checked all hoses to see if any had been cut or damaged by the fan, but nothing. We're going to add some coolant this weekend to see if that takes care of the problem. I checked the forum for "coolant problems" and couldn't find one that matched mine. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Help?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
have you checked all your fluid levels? Also, did you run the AC to work and do you drive very far? That water could have come from the AC. If the coolant is low, I'd fill her up with water then turn the car on and see if you have any drips then. It mught not be dripping if it's empty and could be as little as a stuck thermostat causing it to over heat. Keep an eye on it and limit your driving until the problem is solved

Charlie

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
With all the different threads about cooling issues and your mileage is probably the water pump.
Once you add some coolant and drive it the issue should surface again if it is indeed the water pump.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you checked all your fluid levels? Also, did you run the AC to work and do you drive very far? That water could have come from the AC. If the coolant is low, I'd fill her up with water then turn the car on and see if you have any drips then. It mught not be dripping if it's empty and could be as little as a stuck thermostat causing it to over heat. Keep an eye on it and limit your driving until the problem is solved

Charlie
Nope, didn't run the air conditioner (it was too cool for that), and I drive about 30 miles one way to work. The manual indicates not to fill with water, but to use a mixture of Dex-Cool with clean water. It's not empty but it is low. As far as I know, she never overheated. When I saw that puddle, I called AAA to have her towed. We'll pick up some of that Dex-Cool this weekend and will drive the family sedan until we quench the thirst.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx to all for your comments. I, too, believe it's the water pump so I'll pick up one if the problem exists.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Well, after working on old cars for so long, any time you get a drip, it usually requires replacig something. That's why I suggested filling it up with water. use water to find the leak, then after you go to replace your water pump, radiator or whatever, then you can fill it up with antifreeze and distilled water or whatever you'd normally use. No sence in wasting something that's $9 a gallon:)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after working on old cars for so long, any time you get a drip, it usually requires replacig something. That's why I suggested filling it up with water. use water to find the leak, then after you go to replace your water pump, radiator or whatever, then you can fill it up with antifreeze and distilled water or whatever you'd normally use. No sence in wasting something that's $9 a gallon:)
Yep, my hubby will most likely do that, too. He's always worked on our cars and is a great mechanic. This one has him a little stumped because there were no drips. I love to tinker with old cars - I can find the motor without having to remove a bunch of stuff first! ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Be aware to change the water pump on these cars requires a special tool to keep the timing chain tension correct. Even with the correct tool and done professionally by a GM Service Center, we have incidents of the timing chain tension getting screwed up. Do a search for water pump issues and educate yourself thoroughly before tackling this job.

And I would not recommend adding tap water to the coolant system. Personally, I would just add the correct blend of Dex Cool (you can purchase it premixed). As sensitive as our coolant systems are, I stick with the correct procedures.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
And you won't see water "on the waterpump" because it's internal. Mine didn't do the big "puke" but leaked just enough to trip the low coolant light. Could only see a trace of pink on the passenger's side front of the engine.

As GS said - use "premixed" as necessary to keep the coolant high enough to drive.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be aware to change the water pump on these cars requires a special tool to keep the timing chain tension correct. Even with the correct tool and done professionally by a GM Service Center, we have incidents of the timing chain tension getting screwed up. Do a search for water pump issues and educate yourself thoroughly before tackling this job.

And I would not recommend adding tap water to the coolant system. Personally, I would just add the correct blend of Dex Cool (you can purchase it premixed). As sensitive as our coolant systems are, I stick with the correct procedures.
Yes, I had pulled up Autozone's site to get the cost of the water pump and it indicated I need that special tool for the timing chain. And no tap water for my baby. :) Have you changed your own water pump? My husband has done most of the work on my Solstice, but he's very cautious and won't do anything if he is not absolutely certain how to do it. Thank Heavens!!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read the instructions and watched the video. It was very informative and thorough. Thanks, again, TS!!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Sorry to hear your car is down. Be sure to keep the food and cold drinks coming to your husband while he does the job.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Sorry to hear your car is down. Be sure to keep the food and cold drinks coming to your husband while he does the job.
But not alcoholic drinks, wait 'til the pumps changed for that. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts