Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Last Key Logo Question of 2019

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  marksbug 
#1 · (Edited)
I always thought that the Solstice came with two "slotted" Pontiac logo keys, like the top one in this photo. . . .

. . . and that after the recall they where replaced (in case one did not keep the original keys) by two "holed" no logo keys, like the bottom one in above photo.

But I never seen a GM logo key, like the one below off a June-2005 Solstice, on a Kappa. Where this at some time standard issue for the Solstice / Kappa ? Just a replacement . . . or . . . . . ?

See less See more
#2 ·
GM has used a variety of styles of the B111 transponder key, and usually they were embossed with the brand (Pontiac, Saturn, etc) for new-car issue, but at times they have also used the GM corporate logo. That key was used through 2013 or so on legacy models, at which time pretty much everything had changed to the "switchblade" key/fob combination. That key has the double-ring connection to the fob which is a sign of post-recall issue, along with the hole instead of the slot.

It is likely that GM made changes to the OE issue keys ahead of the recall as they developed a solution to the problem, and those OE keys would have been branded. The keys issued for the recall were likely blank because they were going to all of the brands and it was probably easier to source them that way.

This key is definitely rare due to its very particular timing and is probably a very valuable collector's item.

#3 ·
Thanks for the insight John. Am wondering if anyone can confirm they have / have seem a stock Kappa key like this before. (of course I have no idea the one I spotted cam with they car of was cut later).

Collectors item ? Are you sure. Seems blanks are plenty available at Ebay

#4 ·
Thanks for the insight John. Am wondering if anyone can confirm they have / have seem a stock Kappa key like this before. (of course I have no idea the one I spotted cam with they car of was cut later).

Collectors item ? Are you sure. Seems blanks are plenty available at Ebay
The double ring and slot suggests to me that it is a replacement.

I was being sarcastic about it being a collector's item.

Reactions: RedOne07
#8 ·
I still have the original keys with Fobs, for my ‘09 GXP Coupe. The first owner never had the recall initiated. Not “all” Solstices were plagued with the ignition problems. Pontiac instituted the umbrella recall as a precautionary measure. I’ve had no problems with my ignition, however I do only have 1,812 miles driven.

#13 ·
A couple of points I'd like to bring up: If you have been notified officially by GM on the recall and have not had it done is there a liability on your part in case of an accident because of this ? I know when the recall was first brought up this was one of the things that was discussed on the forum and if I recall you could be held liable. The second item is resale and if I'm not mistaken you cannot import a car to Canada with an open recall for me I would not take the chance .

#16 ·
my car was dome fairly early in it's life as I recall from the car fox, and yet the diff issues are stated there too at a very early age....about 4 times...and now...Im searching for a rear end, or put a gxp gear in it that I have. just do the recall, but be sure to take it to a good dealer to do it. I was wondering why my key didnt have a gm/pontyak logo.....and everything I see this thread I think it's from florida.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.