Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, can't relate to the first, second, thirtieth, etc. Sol delivered. But, what I can relate to is last! So here you can post your prediction of who will be the LAST 2006 Solstice delivered. It is said only 9 or 10k with be made for 2006 and then the 2007s will come. So this should be doable.

My prediction? Me of course. Timing is everything and mine is always bad. I am 2d of 3 4 month allocations, per my dealer (unverified, however). Also, So Cal doesn't (or the West in general,ex Idaho) seem to have done well in the draws so far.
:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
RichSol said:
Ok, can't relate to the first, second, thirtieth, etc. Sol delivered. But, what I can relate to is last! So here you can post your prediction of who will be the LAST 2006 Solstice delivered. It is said only 9 or 10k with be made for 2006 and then the 2007s will come. So this should be doable.

My prediction? Me of course. Timing is everything and mine is always bad. I am 2d of 3 4 month allocations, per my dealer (unverified, however). Also, So Cal doesn't (or the West in general,ex Idaho) seem to have done well in the draws so far.
I don't think you'll be last RichSol. If you're 2nd out of 3 that's pretty good! I'm 2nd out of 2 and my order is due to get picked up in September. I think there's a good chance it could be here before the end of November (fingers crossed).

By the way - I think the 9 or 10k was what they wanted to produce by the end of the CY not the end of the MY. Am I wrong? - anyone...

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
SD SOL said:
I don't think you'll be last RichSol. If you're 2nd out of 3 that's pretty good! I'm 2nd out of 2 and my order is due to get picked up in September. I think there's a good chance it could be here before the end of November (fingers crossed).

By the way - I think the 9 or 10k was what they wanted to produce by the end of the CY not the end of the MY. Am I wrong? - anyone...
No doubt the number for 2006 MY Sols will exceed 10k, GM builds into late April, early May, perhaps a bit later now. Ordered a '96 Trans Am in late March/early April 96, and it arrived at my dealer in May, at that time shortly after they shutdown production for the 96 TAs.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SD SOL said:
I don't know for certain either, but I believe the gist of the discussion on that old thread was that it was only a rumor about 10k cars for the 2006 MY based on somebody who probably got confused by the CY estimates. At least, I have not seen anything in print that would indicate it is true. So at best, I would say it's hearsay at this point (which doesn't necessarily mean false though).

·
Registered
397 Posts
From "Pre-orders delivered by December" thread

Small Dealer said:
What it all means is that Pontiac hopes to build almost 9000+ Solstices before the year end.
There ya have it! :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...maybe

SD SOL said:

Well, it's all speculation until they actually sell you a car and you drive it away. Just because I am 2 out of 3 at a particular dealer doesn't say when my particular car will be built. There are prob 1000 or more others who are in the same spot at their dealers.

As to the 9 to 10k only rumour. It makes some sense. In case Pontiac runs past Dec producting the already sold cars, they would have some headstart on the 2007, which will come out in 2006 anyway. Also, they are prob anxious to start offering the upgrade models, like GXP or whatever it will be called. And I wouldn't be surprised if the auto option is held for the 2007s.

My bet is that the current 2006s on order will be the only ones made after the 1st 1k.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm thinking they won't want to make any kind of changeover ahead of schedule unless it's necessary. Any kind of change like that will definitely slow down the line, at least temporarily and probably require some kind of retooling. Since the car is so hot, I would think they would want to get out as many cars out as they can instead of making unnecessary changes. There is plenty of demand for the car as is, so a push for other models might even make more sense down the road to encourage more sales once the demand cools. That's what I'm thinking ... but it's all just speculation anyway.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SlySol said:
I'm thinking they will won't want to make any kind of changeover ahead of schedule unless it's necessary. Any kind of change like that will definitely slow down the line, at least temporarily and probably require some kind of retooling. Since the car is so hot, I would think they would want to get out as many cars out as they can instead of making unnecessary changes. There is plenty of demand for the car as is, so a push for other models might even make more sense down the road to encourage more sales once the demand cools. That's what I'm thinking ... but it's all just speculation anyway.
:agree: And I can't see any logical reason for the changeover to 2007 model until the normal changeover period. Seems like it just makes sense to keep pumping out 2006's until the summer shutdown.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Thought you were looking for #1000, LatinVenom and I are tied in the running for it, as I think they are building Aggressive last.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...logic?

Editguy said:
:agree: And I can't see any logical reason for the changeover to 2007 model until the normal changeover period. Seems like it just makes sense to keep pumping out 2006's until the summer shutdown.
None of it relates to logic. It's marketing. The 2007s are probably not going to be much different so retooling will minimal. If they start them early, they can truthfully advertise that all 2006s were sold (believe it or not the hunger for this car could slow down). And putting the 2007s on the market sooner will appeal to those who might prefer a "newer" model over a going-out model.

One other reason: say the demand is just a high or higher than it is now. There could be quite a wait, again. If we get our 2006s at the end of the year, they are starting to get kinda old, since most 2006s will be out by then. If you get a 2007 mid next year (but sold to you early in the year)...it's just about right, and people might be more willing to wait for that. I stick with my prediction.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RichSol said:
None of it relates to logic. It's marketing. The 2007s are probably not going to be much different so retooling will minimal. If they start them early, they can truthfully advertise that all 2006s were sold (believe it or not the hunger for this car could slow down). And putting the 2007s on the market sooner will appeal to those who might prefer a "newer" model over a going-out model.

One other reason: say the demand is just a high or higher than it is now. There could be quite a wait, again. If we get our 2006s at the end of the year, they are starting to get kinda old, since most 2006s will be out by then. If you get a 2007 mid next year (but sold to you early in the year)...it's just about right, and people might be more willing to wait for that. I stick with my prediction.
First, the demand won't drop (barring an economic collapse) anytime soo. Not only has this car not been on the road, it hasn't been advertised. If it hadn't been for my brother, I wouldn't know about it now, but as soon as I had seen one, I would have wanted it.
Your second arguement does have merit, and I will confess that I hadn't thought of it before. The problem I would see with it is, what if they have only managed to produce 6,000 of those orders beforee the end of the year? And what if those buyers want to own the first year? Obviously Pontiac could do whatever they want, but they seem to really want to please the customer with this car. But I do think you have a vaild point. Although I wouldn't be more willing to wait. I want a 2006 :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Guess we'll have to have a friendly wager for bragging rights ... of course, Pontiac is notorious for not showing their hand until the last minute, so we may be waiting a while to find out. Maybe we'll find out by Christmas. :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...I agree

Editguy said:
First, the demand won't drop (barring an economic collapse) anytime soo. Not only has this car not been on the road, it hasn't been advertised. If it hadn't been for my brother, I wouldn't know about it now, but as soon as I had seen one, I would have wanted it.
Your second arguement does have merit, and I will confess that I hadn't thought of it before. The problem I would see with it is, what if they have only managed to produce 6,000 of those orders beforee the end of the year? And what if those buyers want to own the first year? Obviously Pontiac could do whatever they want, but they seem to really want to please the customer with this car. But I do think you have a vaild point. Although I wouldn't be more willing to wait. I want a 2006 :lol:
...I want a 2006 too. But one way to keep demand high is to not produce too many. Remember, this was to be a 20k car a year car. We are already losing the 2006 year, so if you pro-rate the production numbers by available sales months, 10k for this year is about right. Then when 2007s start coming out...Pontiac can charge more.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RichSol said:
...I want a 2006 too. But one way to keep demand high is to not produce too many. Remember, this was to be a 20k car a year car. We are already losing the 2006 year, so if you pro-rate the production numbers by available sales months, 10k for this year is about right. Then when 2007s start coming out...Pontiac can charge more.
And that's the other thing I would worry about, that they would raise the price. I wouldn't be too happy abpout that.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
RichSol said:

Rich, I'm betting on more like 12-15,000 before the 2007 model year.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
solsticeman said:
Rich, I'm betting on more like 12-15,000 before the 2007 model year.
I agree, just because 2007 Sky will start production in January 2006, doesn't mean the 2006 Solstice production stops then, it could carry on through to June if the demand is still high enough. And it should be for a roadster in the Spring of 2006.

The model year and seasons clash when it comes to converts and roadsters, except where you are RichSol. Our demand goes way up in late February and March with a delivery of April/May. And dealers won't have to worry about discounting the 2006 Sols for exactly the reasons you give, short supply high demand.

Not much difference to me if my car gets here late November or mid Feb. I won't be driving it much if at all until April.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
RichSol said:
Actually, I was kind of impressed that they seem to have gotten this car launched in time to give them a good full year of production. Rolling out the new model in August/September is just about what I expect for most cars and they could roll right through 'til the same time next year with production if they wanted too. However, I could see them cutting into the next MY slightly early ... in order to get some new ones out in time for next summer. But I would think that it wouldn't happen sooner than April/May.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...wishful thinking

I guess in my warped 'logic' I am hoping that they are only going to produce the ones that are now on order, and will be anxious to get them all out so they can set up for the 2007s. Of course my fantasy only works if I am indeed one of those 2006s included in the deliveries. An impatient mind will come up with all kinds of creative ideas, eh?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
:agree: Would make the 2006 Sol more exclusive, hence compensate for the wait.

It would also take care of the '06 Sol being produced along side the '07 Sky.

So I like what you are thinking, you deserve to get the last '06 Sol :thumbs:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Waiting for Godot (not)

Since I must, for a number of reasons, wait until calendar year 2006 to order mine, I hope I still get a 2006 model, simply because I want the initial year product. If not, then not, but it's still what I want. :yesnod:

--Chemist

1 - 20 of 42 Posts