Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their engine with the later design engine that uses a belt driven water pump? If so, what did you do with the power steering pump?:lurk:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That would be the LTG version??? No. I think it would require a complete "one off" ECM for our cars. Something most aren't willing to tackle. Not too mention the intake and exhaust manifold are reversed, thus the turbo is as well. Not a light task for someone. It would require a complete rework of the engine bay if nothing else....

Although I might be wrong....I'll follow this thread!!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Interesting. I have to say, changing the pump on the Escalade a few weeks ago was a breeze, relatively speaking. Yank the intake and the belts, 4-5 bolts, splash, put in the new pump and thermostat and reinstall the other bits. Took about an hour, including time to answer texts like "How is it going?"

I wonder about the logic that went into a chain-driven pump. Sure, it makes things *slightly* more compact, but, man... what a pain.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it would be a nice upgrade for a Solstice with a worn out engine down the road but doesn't sound very logical. Didn't realize they swapped the intake & exhaust around. That Escalade water pump was pretty simple it sounds like. I think I heard our cars are about 6 hours labor!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I believe it was a way to turn the WP without robbing as much hp as a belt drive does, and it was closer to the bearings, thus putting less stress on them. I believe a belt drive pulley robs 5-10hp while a chain driven off the crankshaft only robs 2-4hp. At least this is what I've read in the past, not sure how true it is. Not sure if the Corvette still uses this system or not or ever did...but I think for at least a year, they ran the A/C compressor by gear directly from the crankshaft for almost a 0hp loss.

Try 10+ hours at the dealership...about $1500-$1800 now....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chain driven water pump that takes 10 hours of labor and is upgraded to a belt driven pump is poor engineering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts