Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
It has been years since I posted here, but I wanted to share the near final product with the community. My basic setup is:

- LDK crate engine rebuilt with wiseco pistons, stiffer valve springs, and balance shaft delete
- GT2860R turbo on modified factor manifold, Tial gate and turbine housing
- Water to air IC with blow through MAF and vented BOV
- Dry sump with external scavenge pump and factory oil pump (except for billet gears)

The engine is running 16-17psi and the dyno tuning was done by Church Automotive (hub dyno) in Long Beach. I’m pretty happy with the results (320ft*lb | 301hp). The car weighs about 1400lbs so it’s plenty.

Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Oh man, that's gorgeous. I am SO envious. I've always loved the 7's and that looks like a stunning version.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
313 Posts
TomatoeSoup took the words right out of my mouth.

And the right color too.

I want a ride.

What year is the car?

What kind of rear suspension?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like a blast! Nice job with the install. I used to have an all original Lotus 7 back in the late 70's when I was living in England. It makes a kappa seem spacious!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes he would fit but less than ideal. Foot room is always tight no matter what your height. Of course, he would need the top down!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TomatoeSoup took the words right out of my mouth.

And the right color too.

I want a ride.

What year is the car?

What kind of rear suspension?
Thanks!

I bought the kit in 2013, but that dyno was two weeks ago. I was working overseas for two years after the purchase and came back with a family which made progress slow.

The chassis is a CSR which means independent rear and cantaliver front. Sadly they don’t even sell this anymore, but I dare say the ride is comfortable. The biggest issue is sump ground clearance, but the suspension soaks up most things.

Daniel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, that's gorgeous. I am SO envious. I've always loved the 7's and that looks like a stunning version.

Good luck and enjoy!
Looks like a blast! Nice job with the install. I used to have an all original Lotus 7 back in the late 70's when I was living in England. It makes a kappa seem spacious!!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother has been thinking of getting a Caterham for eons, he is 6'3" , would he even fit ?
Yes he would fit but less than ideal. Foot room is always tight no matter what your height. Of course, he would need the top down!
There are options for sure. Mine has 1.5” lower floors and is the “SV” size which is something like 6” wider and longer. Other kit makers like Brunton offer even more space (and the ability to fit V8’s if one was so crazy....err....motivated).

If he is in the SoCal area let me know. He can try to squeeze in mine.

Daniel

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Some of the guys I know complain that it is hard to fit these engines into things like old MGs, but the space in the Lotus clone has to be much more challenging. Great looking car.

And FWIW, to get the same power to weight ratio in your Solstice would require around 650 bhp!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of the guys I know complain that it is hard to fit these engines into things like old MGs, but the space in the Lotus clone has to be much more challenging. Great looking car.

And FWIW, to get the same power to weight ratio in your Solstice would require around 650 bhp!
Fitting this was no small task for sure. I had to cut the oil filter holder off the block, modify the intake manifold, and even with a dry sump pan I’ve only got about 3” to the ground (very similar to all the engines Caterham throws in it). You can push gently down on the hood and touch the coil pack and there are light wear marks on the hood from the cam solenoid wires. The best way to describe the packaging is a half hand of space everywhere.

Daniel

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
There are options for sure. Mine has 1.5” lower floors and is the “SV” size which is something like 6” wider and longer. Other kit makers like Brunton offer even more space (and the ability to fit V8’s if one was so crazy....err....motivated).

If he is in the SoCal area let me know. He can try to squeeze in mine.

Daniel
Thanks a lot Daniel, unfortunately he is a few 1000 miles away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beautiful build, well done!

Ultra-lights offer an amazing driving experience, I cannot fathom what one would be like with this much power.

Once you get through all the shakedown stuff, you should post some videos of spirited driving/autox/trackday. Would love to see how hectic it gets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful build, well done!

Ultra-lights offer an amazing driving experience, I cannot fathom what one would be like with this much power.

Once you get through all the shakedown stuff, you should post some videos of spirited driving/autox/trackday. Would love to see how hectic it gets.
Will do! I look forward to seeing how manageable the power is on track.

Daniel

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
In the good old days they used to let the karts with the largest engines out on our local race circuit (there was an adjoining karting circuit for the smaller engined karts).

They had pretty good top speed and the track was fairly rough and they sure danced around a lot. And by that I mean that they would hit a bump in a corner and come down several feet to the side of their former line. Racing for the brave and/or crazy.

The flexibility for the karts, which have no suspension, is whatever the chassis allows. IIRC the karts with a bit more flex did a bit better at our track, but that's a long time ago, so I could be wrong.

We car racers weren't all that enthusiastic about mixed use racing, especially when we had to go out in our cars after a vintage motorcycle group with open total loss chain oilers on a wet day....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have autocrossed more than a few Super 7/Caterhams over the years and you have a VERY potent weapon on your hands.. I ran 175-200 hp ones on race tires and sticky streets and Oh my God the stick, grip, acceleration!! You have increased the power again by 50%!!
I AM in SoCal and would LOVE a ride.. (well a drive really..lol) I had kinda taken 10 years off of Autocrossing and have gone back in running my GXP coupe in stock class and doing very well. Love to see that baby out and about!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts