Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an oil change the other day and noticed this leak immediately after words.

It is a 2006 NA manual with 112,000kms (65k miles).

I didn't change the O'ring on the oil filter cap when I swapped the filter. Do you think I could be leaking down the oil filler cap and presenting down here?

Anyone else seen anything like this.

I apologize as I am color blind so I struggle to determine the color of the fluid. Judging by its location I do not think it is coolant.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I am going to pull the filter now and look at the O'ring and replace it.

Fixture Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I think it was the O'ring on the oil filter cap. The image below is after I wiped down the surface. Prior to this, I could see oil on the rim and up and over the O'ring on the filter housing. You can see pooled oil in the crevices around the oil filter

I hope this is the root cause. We will soon find out.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
Though I am fortunate enough to not be colorblind, I usually “smell” the fluid if I can. Usually by the time I find a leak it has dropped down and spread, mixing with road grime and lost whatever original color it had.

I do however discourage “tasting” of any car fluids as a general rule :)

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,560 Posts
or just spilt oil from changing the filter,I hate those type filters. shame on gm for using them and the companys that make the filters that wadd up when tightened down. I bought about 10 of the made in france GM filters that are a zig zag pattern that dont wadd up.they are the only ones made correctly to compress and not wadd up. with 2 solstices they may last me a life time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts