Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 with 50,000 miles. I noticed coolant on the garage floor. I took to dealer and was told it needed a water pump and will cost 1100.00. Gm will not warranty because 8 months over 5 year mark. When I went back to dealer they said they had air in the lines. They replaced temp gauge and still issue. Told me I may need a new engine?? This car is only driven 6 months a year. Also said timing may be off because its ticking loudly. My engine never overheated. Temp usually 190-198 on a hot day. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Sounds like it's the water pump to me.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I have a 08 with 50,000 miles. I noticed coolant on the garage floor. I took to dealer and was told it needed a water pump and will cost 1100.00. Gm will not warranty because 8 months over 5 year mark. When I went back to dealer they said they had air in the lines. They replaced temp gauge and still issue. Told me I may need a new engine?? This car is only driven 6 months a year. Also said timing may be off because its ticking loudly. My engine never overheated. Temp usually 190-198 on a hot day. Can anyone help?
Yep....sounds like at least a waterpump (WP)....Our cars only leak when they've cooled off (for the most part). I just had mine replaced. Do you have a GXP or an NA?

Here, read these also:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/what-technically-causes-waterpumps-fail-74909/
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/waterpump-question-74885/
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/dreaded-waterpump-leak-74822/

First off, find a new dealer. A dealer that can't properly diagnose what's wrong with your car, doesn't deserve your business. Find a GM dealer that was a Pontiac dealer in your area. Contact the service manager and make sure he still has techs there from when they were a Pontiac dealer. Our vehicles are very specialized (especially the GXP!) and if the WP is not done correctly, it will create major noise and issues for you down the road. Discuss with the service advisor that there is a special tool and special procedure they MUST follow when replacing the WP. And that if the vehicle has any type of whine after it's done, that they will agree to correct the issue at their expense. Here's the totals:

GXP

labor - 4.5 hours x (labor rate) (let's assume $100/hr) = $450.00 --- Hours are straight from a labor time guide!!
(it's 2.7 hours for warranty!)

Parts -
90537379 - Seal - $24.06
90537471 - Seal - $15.83
12630084 - Waterpump kit - $189.71

Total should be around $700.00, DEFINETLY NOT $1100!!!

Now, they may tell you they have to pull the catalytic converter or turbo off to gain access. They pulled my cat off to do mine.

You can also try to ask them for a "Goodwill adjustment"....but don't hold your breathe on that one!

Good Luck!

EDIT: I don't know if it's a certified used car warranty or if it came from GM, but my powertrain warranty is good for 5 years/100,000 miles. And if I'm not mistaken, GM has decided to include the WP as part of the powertrain. There is a post here somewhere that someone put on here.... I'll search for it....

EDIT2: Here it is!!! I found it...read through this thread! http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/water-pump-70655/

______

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a GXP. I called A GM rep and they are supposed to call me back. And yes they said its ticking loudly and whining. That is great info. Thank you so much. I am going to call them this am. And I do not believe its my engine! Ill keep you posted!!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Ghost is steering you true and accurately. Local Chevy dealer !#@$# mine up. Stick patiently to your guns.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Ticking is likely the high pressure fuel pump. It's a direct injection engine and the fuel has to be at very high pressure.

The generic delco pump is identical and cheaper than the Pontiac part ...about half the price as listed above

When replacing the warer pump, unless they know what they are doing, they can screw up the tension on the drive which causes excessive wining noise and damage. Also, read the threads about air in the system, heat no heat

A good tech can do this job easily. One who can not follow directions can easily make it worse

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Ticking is likely the high pressure fuel pump. It's a direct injection engine and the fuel has to be at very high pressure.

The generic delco pump is identical and cheaper than the Pontiac part ...about half the price as listed above

When replacing the warer pump, unless they know what they are doing, they can screw up the tension on the drive which causes excessive wining noise and damage. Also, read the threads about air in the system, heat no heat

A good tech can do this job easily. One who can not follow directions can easily make it worse
A suggestion, go on the GM website for GM World Class Technicians and find the nearest one. Take it to him by name. He will be able to follow instructions. He can check with mine here in Colorado for advice as he has a lot of Kappa ecperience.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
My powertrain is only 5 years...not 8... :(

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
It is a GXP. I called A GM rep and they are supposed to call me back. And yes they said its ticking loudly and whining. That is great info. Thank you so much. I am going to call them this am. And I do not believe its my engine! Ill keep you posted!!
Hello Kitkat,

I see that your are already talking with a GM representative. I would like to keep an up with your case. Could you private message me your case number?

Thank you,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
4,206 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Remove the converter? Nope!

Anyone that works in the service industry knows that there are many ways to tackle different problems. Yes GM's manual states that you need to remove the turbo or the cat. Good thing we have vendors like DDM that can think outside of the box.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Agree. Service manual wanted me to dismantle most of the air and turbo plumbing to replace the upper radiator hose. NOT!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got my car back after paying 1041.00. Before I pulled out of lot it was whining loudly. ESP pushing the gas and shifting. They had me drive it home and said to come back Tuesday. Mechanic did say he pulled off the carburater. I'm afraid to drive it so now stranded without a car till Tuesday and they said may take a few more days. Rep hasn't called me back yet. I'm so frustrated

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kitkat did you PM Jennifer? She said she wanted to monitor the service. That could be very helpful to you. Sorry you are having this problem. Hang in there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi I did a bit ago. A little too late in the day. Prob won't hear from her till Tuesday. Well I guess I get to was and wax this weekend and dream of driving it:)

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Oh and the service rep at dealer said don't pay attention or read anything on forums
I would tell him that we've had several GM personal, who know more this particular car than he'll ever know, share lots of info on this forum.

He might be surprised regarding the info that THIS forum has provided GM.
Door locks...that can from here.
2 new color choices...came from here.

I'm sure there is more, but right now I can't think of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't agree with him. I told him to read the forum so they can figure out how to fix my water pump. And everyone was saying about that if not done correctly you would get whining and it does

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
KitKat....I warned you. :banghead: Had I known you were in Ann Arbor, I would have sent you to my buddy at Suburban Cadillac Chevrolet. Or Bob Jeanotte in Plymouth.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts