Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm worried about fighting you all to get one and if my tall self can fit in it. so i'm looking at 2004 350z, similar mazda rx8's, and now and leaning towards a used low mileage honda s2000. i think honda makes great products and i heard u can rev the snot out of it and it sounds like a indy car with the rpms running high. can anyone tell me y i should get the solstice anymore when i can get a used car listed above for like 22 or maybe lower. i live in florida and the more i look the more i can find a used car like this with 15k miles on it and the same probable solstice price all over. advice please?

·
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think anyone can help you here because no one's driven a solstice yet (correct me if I'm wrong!) :)

I can't comment on the 350z or rx-8 much since I've never driven one or rode in one. The rx-8 appears to have a good amount of body roll when pushed hard but it can seat 4, what are your needs?

The s2000 is more of a no-compromise sports car. The suspensions much stiffer than the miata and I'd assume the solstice as well. Are you just looking for something sporty or do you want to track it/autocross? Unless you plan on driving the car hard I'd have a look at the Miata. As far as performance, from a stop and a highway run, the s2000 and miata are equal until about 7k RPM -- then the s2000 takes off and pushes you back in the seat some. On tight mountain roads it comes down to the driver. They're pretty much equal given similiar tires. On the track the s2000 will stomp on even a highly modified miata mainly because of the miata's limited rubber.

Here's how I see these cars ranked from least - most compromise.
Elise - s2000 - boxter - miata - solstice

The solstice has a no-compromise trunk :) but I view it more of a sporty-powerful convertible than an agile lightweight sportscar. That's my opinion anyway. It all depends on what you want out of the car.

·
4,592 Posts
JonAqua said:
I don't think anyone can help you here because no one's driven a solstice yet (correct me if I'm wrong!) :)

I can't comment on the 350z or rx-8 much since I've never driven one or rode in one. The rx-8 appears to have a good amount of body roll when pushed hard but it can seat 4, what are your needs?

The s2000 is more of a no-compromise sports car. The suspensions much stiffer than the miata and I'd assume the solstice as well. Are you just looking for something sporty or do you want to track it/autocross? Unless you plan on driving the car hard I'd have a look at the Miata. As far as performance, from a stop and a highway run, the s2000 and miata are equal until about 7k RPM -- then the s2000 takes off and pushes you back in the seat some. On tight mountain roads it comes down to the driver. They're pretty much equal given similiar tires. On the track the s2000 will stomp on even a highly modified miata mainly because of the miata's limited rubber.

Here's how I see these cars ranked from least - most compromise.
Elise - s2000 - boxter - miata - solstice

The solstice has a no-compromise trunk :) but I view it more of a sporty-powerful convertible than an agile lightweight sportscar. That's my opinion anyway. It all depends on what you want out of the car.
JonAqua left off one car, the Miata Turbo MSM. The trubo kicks in at 3600rpm, so JonAqua's comments of miata vs s2000 do not cover the MSM.

I know you said you're big, so a MSM may be too small, just an FYI

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
and if my tall self can fit in it.
I've wanted a Miata since they first came out but at 6'-4", I couldn't get my skinny legs to fit. My right knee had to be bent so much it hit the E brake on the first version and the center console (but not as bad) on the current version. Have you sat in one?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rangus00 said:
i'm worried about fighting you all to get one and if my tall self can fit in it. so i'm looking at 2004 350z, similar mazda rx8's, and now and leaning towards a used low mileage honda s2000. i think honda makes great products and i heard u can rev the snot out of it and it sounds like a indy car with the rpms running high. can anyone tell me y i should get the solstice anymore when i can get a used car listed above for like 22 or maybe lower. i live in florida and the more i look the more i can find a used car like this with 15k miles on it and the same probable solstice price all over. advice please?
If you're tall (as you state in your post), you'll probably find that you will not comfortably fit into a S2000.
I looked at the SLK, Audi TT, S2000, Boxster, & Z4 in 2002 and settled on the Z4 as it was the only roadster (at that time) which had a comfortable cabin (legroom & headroom) for me (6'5").
I'll be ready to swap out in a year or 2 and right now the Sky is at the top of the list of contenders (providing it has sufficient headroom & legrrom AND will hold 2 small Sunday golf bags. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don’t think anyone can really help you because only you know what you really want in your roadster. If zinging the S2000’s engine into the stratosphere is what you really want in a roadster, than it certainly is the car for you. One caveat, be sure to drive it a lot. There are plenty of former S2000 owners out there who came away very disappointing in their S2K’s because of that engine, and the fact you cannot take advantage of its power band in normal daily driving. Others love the car because of its engine’s traits. It not only is peaky motor, it must be driven hard to be fast. So your enjoyment may depend on the roads you drive, whether you will take it to a track, etc. That all can be answered on a good test drive, but only you can make that call.

As for the Solstice, we are yet to drive it so it cannot be directly compared yet. That said, it should be in showrooms in 6 months. Reviews in mags probably will be out a month or so before showroom delivery. At least some early drives. Wouldn’t it make sense to wait a few more months to see what the word is on the finished Solstice, and maybe get some seat time in one? I’d hate to buy a new roadster tomorrow to satisfy the urge to have a new roadster when the one I may want most will be on the market by this summer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had a 350Z coupe. Sit in it first. Some tall people find that it does not have enough seat travel and they opt for the G35 coupe instead. The first year model did not have its suspension fully sorted. That was supposedly fixed in the middle of the 2004 model year. The main reasons I sold it were because I wanted to get back into a roadster and I wanted something a little lighter in weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I’d hate to buy a new roadster tomorrow to satisfy the urge to have a new roadster when the one I may want most will be on the market by this summer.
:agree

I actually did that. :banghead

Luckily though I was able to reverse course. I ended up losing a modest sum of money to keep my original car that I was going to sell for the roadster. :lol Regret somewhere down the line could make for a much bigger loss so the wait and see attitude gets my endorsement for sure.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Slipstream said:
:agree

I actually did that. :banghead

Luckily though I was able to reverse course. I ended up losing a modest sum of money to keep my original car that I was going to sell for the roadster. :lol Regret somewhere down the line could make for a much bigger loss so the wait and see attitude gets my endorsement for sure.
I'm glad you were able to change your mind before it was too late!

I can see buying another car if you really think its what you want too. However, I would want to be pretty darn sure it wasn't just excitement to get a car right away before signing on the deal.

·
5,600 Posts
Hi Rangus00,

You asked, "why should I buy a new Solstice when I can get a used S2000 for the same price?" I would ask, "why would you want an abused S2000 when you could get a brand new Solstice for the same price.

When you buy a high performance sports car used, how can you be sure the previous owner didn't routinely slip the clutch, mash the throttle, crush the brakes, wrench the steering wheel and rev the engine to redline?

Maybe I am not trusting enough, but I am always a leery of buying high performance machines abused. I mean, used.

Give me the new car anyday. Now, if you just plan on keeping it for one year to slip the clutch, mash the throttle, crush the brakes, wrench the steering wheel and rev the engine to redline routinely, then have at it and pass it on to the next unsuspecting victim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jimbo, because many s2000 and miata owners are old whine and cheese type (no offense intended). They make sure the car never sees rain and they put 100 coats of wax on it :) They never shift over 4krpm.

I bought my 99 a year or so ago and it only had 7600 miles on it, was never driven in the rain, had the whole engine detailed, etc :)

·
5,600 Posts
JonAqua,

I stand corrected. Humbly beg pardon to those who want used. Go for it. The thing is, make yourself happy whatever that is to you. Life is too short.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Jumbo, I agree with you on this one! You generally do not know how a used car has been treated its whole life, and performance cars are more likely to have been abused.

Sure, there are plenty of people who do not abuse their cars, and take really good care of them. However, you cannot always be sure how the owner treated it, unless you are buying it right from the owner and trust him.

Walk into a dealer to buy it, and you generally do not know much about the cars history. Was it abused, did it get its oil changed regularly, etc etc. Sure, inspecting the car well can uncover problems, and there are plenty of good used car buys out there. However, there are a few lemons around, a few cars dumped because they had problems, and a few that were just beaten for years.

I suppose purchasing any car is a risk. I just see a used performance car as an added risk. Was that S2K Grandpa’s grocery getter, or some kiddo’s weekend barn burner?

·
Registered
46 Posts
JonAqua said:
jimbo, because many s2000 and miata owners are old whine and cheese type (no offense intended). They make sure the car never sees rain and they put 100 coats of wax on it :) They never shift over 4krpm.

I bought my 99 a year or so ago and it only had 7600 miles on it, was never driven in the rain, had the whole engine detailed, etc :)
I resemble your w&C driver, sort of. First of all, I am not old by some standards - I am 36.

I bought my first Miata new ten years ago. I only put the top up when cleaning and storing. Kept it well cleaned and polished. Met all service appointments, used only top grade gasoline, and used synth oil once wherever available.

After 8 years and about 50k miles I traded it in on an '02. Same story. Only drove it in topless weather, pampered the paint and the engine. I got p'od with Mazda and sold it at only 9k miles earlier this year.

As for the always shifting at 4k? No Way! I nailed those suckers every chance I got. By the time I had the '02, I was fairly adept at driving sideways in the appropriate conditions.

Knowing full well there are goofs like me lurking everywhere, I prefer buying new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your not going to drive it why buy it? My wife yells at me because I tend to keep the Z3 between 4-6000 rpms. She tries to tell me I need to shift to save gas. I tell her its not about the gas as I power thru the next corner. Top down driving fun is what these cars are about and they should be engineered to take the abuse. The only reason I would buy the Solstice is to ring it out every chance I got. To me this is a 20K race car and if it is not going to have trunk space it had better be built to be driven to the edge and back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts