Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 22 and have never driven a stick before. Since my sol probably wont be here until late October or November I figure I have plenty of time to learn. A few of my friends have sticks and are willing to teach me. Having said that, how difficult is it to learn? Is it something you need to practice every day or can you get by just practicing 1 or 2 times a week? I am kind of worried that I have no experience with a manual and am getting a sol with a manual and do not want to ruin the tranny. Any input or advide would be very helpful.

Thanks, Ray

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mysterio98 said:
I am 22 and have never driven a stick before. Since my sol probably wont be here until late October or November I figure I have plenty of time to learn. A few of my friends have sticks and are willing to teach me. Having said that, how difficult is it to learn? Is it something you need to practice every day or can you get by just practicing 1 or 2 times a week? I am kind of worried that I have no experience with a manual and am getting a sol with a manual and do not want to ruin the tranny. Any input or advide would be very helpful.

Thanks, Ray
It seems to me that most people learn quickly. In under an hour you should be able to get the car around. A couple hours you should be able to get it around well enough that you could get yourself somewhere without problems. From that point, the more you drive the better/smoother you will get at it. Everyone makes it out to be more difficult than it is.

Like riding bycicle, once you learn, you never forget. Unlike a bycicle, you won't won't be bleading from the elbows and knees while you learn. :lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Driving a Manual Shift Machine.......

Grab Shifter, Push Clutch Pedel, Move Shifter Forward, Punch Gas Pedel....
Watch for Pedestrians.........You are on your way!

P.S. 10 points if you hit the old lady on the bike......(just kidding!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would not worry about the trany. After just a few tries, you should get the hang of it. There are a couple of tricks that you will learn after driving a while. Like stoping and starting on an uphill slope. For now it will just take a little practice. The clutches in newer cars are not like old clutches. They can take a lot more punishment.

I did not know how to drive a stick when I bought my 89 CRX new. I knew WHAT I had to do, just not HOW. A few stutters going out of the dealer parking lot and I drove to the nearest mall to practice in their parking lot. I was good to go after just a little while.

You should have no problem.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
mysterio98 said:

Thanks, Ray

I'm in the same boat. My husband said it's easy to learn. If not I'll get a auto for me when they come out and my husband could keep this toy to himself.

Zerro/zipper Ct.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Driving a stick is mostly in your head and getting out of 1st gear. :D You need to learn where the clutch engage/disengage point is. I learned by driving in a flat parking lot.

I would go foward about 50 yards. Then stop. Put the car in reverse and back up 50 yards. Stop. And repeat. I did this for about 10 minutes (until I could do it without stalling or riding the clutch) and I really got the hang of getting the car going. I then found small hills in subdivisions and practiced hill starts. Hope that helps.

Man I type too slow. You guys already posted ahead of me :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys, it doesn't seem too hard now. I actually have a nice sized parking lot right by my hosue that has a nice inclined hill on it to practice. My friend who is going to teach me has an 89 Supercharged T-Bird.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Another trick.

When learning to start on a hill, have your friend stand about two feet behind the car. When the car rolls back you will swear you are gonna run over him, but in reality you probably only rolled back a few inches. Have him tell you how far back you rolled and you will start to realize the correct amount of rollback you have traveled. This will come in handy if you have someone on your butt at a stoplight on a hill. In that instance you do the 'Smokey and the Bandit' move. Smoke those tires and take off. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
learning to drive a stick is a good thing. My parents would not let me drive without learning how. I was 12 and it involved a '74 Ford truck and a cornfield. I was not allowed to come back to the house until I figured it out, my parents sat at the house and watched, they wouldn't even coach me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
For me, my dad drove out to the middle school parking lot. It had tons of really steep hills, turns and stops. Perfect for learning to drive a manual. The only problem was my dad would only let me drive around the parking lot for about 20 minutes in each session, he'd go through a pack of gum and when it was done that was it :)

The first time out, it was hit or miss. I'd over rev the engine and or stall, shake the car. It just was terrible. The second time out (about a week later), I was much better, but still wasn't as smooth and consistent as I should have been. Third time (about 2 weeks later) was the charm, I was able to go through every stop without stalling and it was relatively smooth.

The next time out my dad let me drive on a 55mph 2 lane road into West Virginia one morning and back. I didn't stall it once and had a ton of fun.

You'll look back upon those first couple tries and wonder why it didn't click right away and just laugh, at least I did.

·
Registered
397 Posts
deacon said:
learning to drive a stick is a good thing. My parents would not let me drive without learning how. I was 12 and it involved a '74 Ford truck and a cornfield. I was not allowed to come back to the house until I figured it out, my parents sat at the house and watched, they wouldn't even coach me.
Did you have to walk uphill in a driving snowstorm to get to the truck and cornfield? :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you have driven a motorcycle you shouldn't have a problem with a car. The principle of clutching, shifting and throttle is the same.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
It's a piece of cake as long as you don't let yourself get rattled. My neice's husband signed up for a nascar driving class but couldn't drive a stick. I spent an hour with him in a parking lot and along a quiet road and he was doing well by the end. Take your time and remember even the best miss a shift once in awhile, just ask anyone who races. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just remember to depress the clutch when braking to a stop. Nothing more embarrassing than stalling the car at a light and having everyone stopped along side. Easy to do if you are switching between auto and manual.

And don't ride the clutch when stopped on a slight incline. I see so many guys rolling their car up and back wearing the clutch and throw-out bearing out at the same time, more money than brains I figure.

If you have to stop on an incline, put the car in neutral and use the hand brake to hold you on the hill until you proceed. This frees your right foot for the gas pedal. You need to practice the timing on releasing the clutch, depressing the accelerator and releasing the handbrake to minumze roll back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fformula88 said:
...Unlike a bycicle, you won't won't be bleading from the elbows and knees while you learn. :lol:
Well, hopefully not. If you are then you're definitely doing something wrong. :D

Like everyone's said, don't be afraid to try manual tranny. If you have the desire to learn then you'll do great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i learned how to drive a standard in a 10 speed volvo truck. My dad parked it sideways between a trailer and an old ford truck at the shop and had me get it out. Its a piece of cake. With the modern transmissions there is no double-clutching required and it makes a world of difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.