Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.....

Just bought a 2007 2.4 manual with only 51,000 miles....like New condition one owner garage kept.....
Would like to add about 20-25 HP or so...nothing crazy.....on a tight budget.

What performance mods would YOU do if it was your car with limited $$$??

Thanks!
Jerry

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I dont think that it can be done with a 2.4.

GXP dual exhaust bolts right up, you just need to buy a GXP rear valence that has cut outs for dual exhaust. People sell the exhaust all the time - I have a set for $100 located in Denver. It wont give you much performance, but it makes the car LOOK faster!

·
Super Moderator
6,052 Posts
Hi all.....

Just bought a 2007 2.4 manual with only 51,000 miles....like New condition one owner garage kept.....
Would like to add about 20-25 HP or so...nothing crazy.....on a tight budget.

What performance mods would YOU do if it was your car with limited $$$??

Thanks!
Jerry
Saveaux is correct. You cannot add power to the 2.4 without spending serious money.

I have read that a CAI will give better throttle response, but I think that is illusion due to the increase in noise.

The best performance mod you can make is to add a DDM ProBeam. No single thing will make a more noticeable improvement.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Saveaux is correct. You cannot add power to the 2.4 without spending serious money.

I have read that a CAI will give better throttle response, but I think that is illusion due to the increase in noise.

The best performance mod you can make is to add a DDM ProBeam. No single thing will make a more noticeable improvement.
I added CAI. No improvement in performance. In fact, it's not even true CAI. It takes air from the same spot the factory intake did. (it does look good, though)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok, Thanks John.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a engine tune?
Is there a "stage 1" or "stage 2" engine tune for more ponies on the 2.4 for a few hundred bucks or so?
I know a "chip" is worthless.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You get very little on a 2.4 with the tunes, although some have reported improved drivability. I know that some NA owners have some trouble believing that given all the tuning talk about the turbo cars, but they are two very different situations.

I second John's recco of the Backbone and suggest that any other money go into better/newer tires.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...I can live with the 177 HP......still fun to drive and when I shift at 4K or a little higher it keeps the power up there.

Still might do a CAI for some engine bling and little more engine growl.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
According to the well known places like DDM and PAW their tune gets you some more oomph.

For instance PAW their tune will ad 10hp and 10-15ftlbs torque

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
can't really tell because I have the Solo catback center exhaust which pretty much overpowers, sound wise, the CAI. Did that also for looks alone. along with Norm's center exhaust fascia.
I agree the NA engine is fairly non improbable. The most performance improvement mod, in my opinion, is a set of high performance tires. Good tires can completely change the car’s handling.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Most owners that have "tuned" their N/A have indicated the most notable improvement is taking the "nanny" off of the throttle. You get a bit quicker response from the peddle. Beyond that, not a lot.

Be like me - turn your HVAC controls on high through the dash vents and it feels like you're going faster.

·
Super Moderator
6,052 Posts
.....Be like me - turn your HVAC controls on high through the dash vents and it feels like you're going faster.
Within the realm of sanity on a public road, the NA can go as fast as a turbo. It just can't do it as quickly.

Get a ProBeam and a decent set of tires, and enjoy the car for what it is: Great handling and great looking.

And blow air in your face with the dash vents.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
You asked about adding hp, but as others have stated, theres opportunity to increase the handling, quite dramatically.

Tunnel Brace - DDM or PAW
Pro-Beam - DDM
GXP Sway Bars
Venom Brace - DDM
Coilovers - BC Racing
Brake pads - EBC or Hawk

Mods that I personally like:
-Short 3-5" antenna
-Black front headlight mod
-I Like NA's that have black grilles instead of silver
-I love my tempered glass windscreen
-Tinted windows
-Kappa Blanket (cover to protect convertible top while its in the trunk)
-remote trunk opener mod
-remove badges as you see fit
-drilled/slotted brake rotors
-double din stereo with backup camera

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can't really tell because I have the Solo catback center exhaust which pretty much overpowers, sound wise, the CAI. Did that also for looks alone. along with Norm's center exhaust fascia.
Looks Great!

Thanks for the replys folks!

This car rides stiff enough for me so I think I'll leave the suspension alone......It's a fun little ride as is, I was just curious as to what I could do to add a few ponies.

·
Super Moderator
6,052 Posts
Looks Great!

Thanks for the replys folks!

This car rides stiff enough for me so I think I'll leave the suspension alone......It's a fun little ride as is, I was just curious as to what I could do to add a few ponies.
Unfortunately, additional ponies aren't a reasonable option.

The ProBeam is the one suspension mod that is all upside. It does not add stiffness, but does improve stability. It will make driving on the twisties more enjoyable.
All of the others increase stiffness, decrease comfort and, based on my experience and some back-to-back testing, can actually make the car slower.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Agree, Too stiff shocks can have the car stuttering sideways across rough pavement instead of sticking to it. There is an unfortunate tendency for owners to dial in far too much shock stiffness (because they think it is 'racy'? I don't know).

The stiffening mods that increase torsional stiffness of the chassis, on the other hand, settle the car in a corner and allow it to stay planted. I noticed the difference immediately when I added the Probeam.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Tires.
Aftermarket exhaust will add a few ponies but only WOT and above 5000 rpm, but adds a nice sound. Solo or MagnaFlow. Still usable if and when you supercharge.
CAI is the same, only improves max HP, and is a loss if you SC.
Ditto all the comments on suspension. Opportunities to corner hard are as abundant as opps to accel hard and equally rewarding. And stiffer chassis and anti-rill bars do not stiffen the ride.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts