Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm considering leather for the looks, but cloth seems to be the more sensible option in a convertible. But yet so many of you seem to have opted for leather. Doesn't black leather just get really hot really quick in direct sunlight? I'm not looking forward to getting toasted everytime I stop at starbucks or other pit-stops and sit down again after a few minutes with the leather seat in the sun. And even without sun, doesn't leather get moist/sticky against skin-exposing body parts (like leggs when wearing shorts)?

How about resale value, is leather an option most people look for? And wear and tear, how does leather stand the test of time in comparison to cloth?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
It seems that all of the Solstice pictures with leather I see the leather on the seats look stretched and saggy--does leather do this and does it happen fast since all I see are new cars---

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I am curious to how the cloth feels, because I am looking at options to cut ... since I am no longer getting my previous discount. I could live with cloth seats, no XM, no On*Star, and just a single CD player (instead of the 6).

I think the cloth might do better in the muggy South, but I am curious as well for others to speak about their opinions, on the cloth vs leather. Also, how big of a deal is the different steering wheels? :confused:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If i lived in the desert i would have ordered cloth.Speaking of leather i ordered the two tone because the lighter tones will fare a lot better in the direct sun light.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The only problem I have had with cloth is it wears out and stains. You can condition leather and it will last much longer than cloth.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Leather

I'd be getting leather if my wife didn't INSIST on cloth. But hey, it's her family GM discount. Actually the cloth is real nice looking. There's a good pic of it on here somewhere.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had several roadsters with both leather & cloth.
I opted for cloth over leather on my Sol based on this experience, because it doesn't get as hot & I liked the materials that Pontiac was using for the colth seats. On the other hand, if you're riding your dog or cat around get the leather!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Leather here also!

Leather for me. It may seem like a waste to some, but I like sheepskin covers on the seats. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Had them on my fiero gt. Sold it last month ( maybe a little early :lol: ) but the person who bought it uncovered one of the seats and was amazed by the condition. No wear marks or stains. That helped to sell a car that had 107,000 miles. Of course the rest of the car was in perfect shape. I also think leather holds up the best over time. And if you are hauling around your dog or cat, they love the sheepskin :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have leather on my 1980 MGB (which is for sale) and I am going to get cloth in my solstice.....i'm tired of hearing bacon fry when I sit down.... :lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I am curious to how the cloth feels, because I am looking at options to cut ... since I am no longer getting my previous discount. I could live with cloth seats, no XM, no On*Star, and just a single CD player (instead of the 6).

I think the cloth might do better in the muggy South, but I am curious as well for others to speak about their opinions, on the cloth vs leather. Also, how big of a deal is the different steering wheels? :confused:
I got the cloth on Mysterious and it looks and feels great, the other 1st 1k at my dealer chse the 2 tone leather, and I thought that really looked to busy. Scotch guard for cloth.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ordered 2-tone leather on VIN #890 (still waiting), but I rode in a cloth Sol, and was very impressed with the quality. Very substantial feel, and b/c it's so dark not much will stain it. No-one who ordered cloth will be disappointed.

I, too, noticed the sagging in many of the pics (including Motor Trend), but I think this was mostly on the mules.

·
Registered
705 Posts
erbo said:
Leather for me. It may seem like a waste to some, but I like sheepskin covers on the seats. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Had them on my fiero gt. Sold it last month ( maybe a little early :lol: ) but the person who bought it uncovered one of the seats and was amazed by the condition. No wear marks or stains. That helped to sell a car that had 107,000 miles. Of course the rest of the car was in perfect shape. I also think leather holds up the best over time. And if you are hauling around your dog or cat, they love the sheepskin :cool:
Not a rip friend...really. But isn't paying for leather and then covering it with a seat cover kinda like having a gold medal bonzed??? Every time I was 'stuck' with a car that had leather seats I bought sheep skins to cover it because I hate hot sticky or cold hard leather...real sheep skin covers are great! To each their own!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
The only problem I have had with cloth is it wears out and stains. You can condition leather and it will last much longer than cloth.
ScotchGuard it and you're set! I've never had a stain I couldn't get out of my cloth seats.

·
Registered
340 Posts
tttssssss. The sound of sizzling flesh. Although leather is better than vinyl, it still gets toasty. Any true Zonie (Arizonan) will opt for cloth or better yet sheepskin covers, especially in a convertible.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
The only problem I have had with cloth is it wears out and stains.
I'd be stunned if anyone had a long term issue with the cloth seats. After 115,000 miles my Silverado's black, cloth seats show virtually no wear what so ever :yesnod:

Even though the driver's seat gets (easily) ten times the use of the passenger seat - there really is NO discernable difference between them.

The really shocking part is how clean they look :eek: despite the fact that I regularly eat lunch in my truck. I don't even think they have been scotch-guarded (if they were, it was only once, by the dealer 5 years ago).

·
Registered
199 Posts
hagenaer said:
Hello All,

I'm considering leather for the looks, but cloth seems to be the more sensible option in a convertible. But yet so many of you seem to have opted for leather. Doesn't black leather just get really hot really quick in direct sunlight? I'm not looking forward to getting toasted everytime I stop at starbucks or other pit-stops and sit down again after a few minutes with the leather seat in the sun. And even without sun, doesn't leather get moist/sticky against skin-exposing body parts (like leggs when wearing shorts)?

How about resale value, is leather an option most people look for? And wear and tear, how does leather stand the test of time in comparison to cloth?
Most likely will help w/ the resale...use a conditioner and a cleaner and it'll hold up nice. Im speaking from experience on Fords leather though, I'm sure GM's is just as good

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Leather is the way......

hagenaer said:
Hello All,

Get the leather. Two words....RESALE VALUE! :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts