Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really want the leather interior for its looks, long wearing properties, and easy cleaning ability. I think it would hold up to occassianal water drops and the random unwelcome bird dropping better than cloth would. But sitting on my leather couch and leather office chair, I'm reminded of how cold they can be, not only in winter, but on a cool day in spring or fall as well. I hardly sit on the leather couch in short pants or short sleeve shirts because even when the air temp in the house feels nice, the couch is still kind of cold.

I've never owned a car with leather interior. And I've never had the experience of getting up on a nice spring morning and sitting in cold car leather that has been outside over a cool night. Is it worth it?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Had a similar thread about 4 months ago. I'm not saying this is a dup thread as many new members are here, but it's a good read!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589

I told me, cloth all the way forholding you in place (important in a roadster). I sat in leather seats in a mazda MSM, felt very slippery, wifey and I said no way.

but, it's a "too each his own"

RODEO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I really like leather. I've had it in my past 4 cars. Even in the winter the leather doesn't get that cold and even when it is cold it is only for a few seconds. Sometimes when it is cold weather cloth can be cold to sit on too.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodeo,

Thank you for the link and the help. Lots of good info already out there. I guess I just need to burn into my brain, "search is my friend!" :blush:

I think I'm just trying to talk myself into leather because it seems a proper sports car must have it. Look at any Ferrari, Jaguar or Porsche. Now I have to think if it really meets my needs or if I only want it because I think the car has to have it.

Everything is a tradeoff. How to decide? Hmmm... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
jimbo said:
Rodeo,

Thank you for the link and the help. Lots of good info already out there. I guess I just need to burn into my brain, "search is my friend!" :blush:

I think I'm just trying to talk myself into leather because it seems a proper sports car must have it. Look at any Ferrari, Jaguar or Porsche. Now I have to think if it really meets my needs or if I only want it because I think the car has to have it.
Everything is a tradeoff. How to decide? Hmmm... :confused:
On a GM roadster or convertible, get the leather.
OTOH, If you were looking at a BMW roadster or convertible, I'd recommend against it.
The reason, ironically is that BMW uses an expensive high grade of leather while GM uses low grade, inexpensive (read cheap) leather.
I've had leather in several GM ragtops (i.e. 1998 Firebird convertible, Camaro Z28 ragtop, etc) and the leather held up beautifully and looked as good after 3 - 4 years as it did coming out the showroom.
OTOH, the BMW leather sags and stretches with use, shows wear & scuffs easily, the color appears to rub off with use..
That's the reason I got the leatherette (aka pleather) on my 2003 Z4 and I'm glad I did.
OTOH, I'll be ordering leather on my Saturn Sky (or Solstice) as GM leather is bulletproof (looks and wears great).
I know this all may sound counterintuitive, but trust me, I know whereof I speaketh. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Cloth is a great option too

I had cloth in my MR2 Spyder. It seemed to be a stain resistant material. I scotchguarded it and bird droppings and spills came right off. I also liked the fact that it didn't get as hot when the car was sitting with the top open. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
898 Posts
Leather or cloth

Living in Florida I have always prefered cloth to leather. Much cooler. I found I tended to stick to leather of very hot days. I am considering leather for my Solstice but may c :willy: hange my mind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
I would agree that cloth has its merits when the seats are exposed to the sun for long periods before you sit down. A cloth overlay while parked can help. When it's cool, leather is cool and so heat should go alopng with it. Newest car has leather sides with cloth centers and wife is not as happy, especially since factory seat heat not avail except with full leather. There are inexpensive diy heat kits that I havn't gotten into yet. Leather in GM vehicles is not overly slippery and will hold you in place, besides where can you go, door to the left and center console to the right with about 4 inches on each side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
jimbo said:
I've never owned a car with leather interior. And I've never had the experience of getting up on a nice spring morning and sitting in cold car leather that has been outside over a cool night. Is it worth it?
You can go find out. While it's still winter, get up early one morning and go down to a dealer and test drive a car with leather seats that's been outside on the lot all night. Make sure it doesn't have seat heaters or that they are turned off. I doubt it makes much difference what brand of car you drive, but I guess I would pick a Pontiac or GM car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
In the summer when the car is parked in the sun I put a bath towl on my seats to keep the sun off of them and then take it off when I get in. It seems to work just fine. Also opting for a lighter color will help. Black absorbs all the heat. One thing about leather being cold is that it will warm to your body temperture fairly quickly especially if it is a softer leather. My sister had custom leather put in her car and I don't remember it being too bad either in summer or winter. It was light tan which helps with the heat issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I'll get leather. My Miata has leather with "synthetic suede" inserts. I just like the look, feel, and smell of leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I want the leather myself. I wonder how ugly the cloth will end up. Hopefully they use tasteful looking cloth material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I hope I can hold off until I can get what I want...Leather and a few other upgrades...but sometimes I am just like a kid...I gotta have it now. So I guess it all depends on how available the Sol is. If its hard to find one I may take what the dealer has...sigh :(
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AeroDave said:
You can go find out. While it's still winter, get up early one morning and go down to a dealer and test drive a car with leather seats that's been outside on the lot all night. Make sure it doesn't have seat heaters or that they are turned off. I doubt it makes much difference what brand of car you drive, but I guess I would pick a Pontiac or GM car.
That's a heck of a simple idea! Why didn't I think of it. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
summersolstice said:
In the summer when the car is parked in the sun I put a bath towl on my seats to keep the sun off of them and then take it off when I get in. It seems to work just fine. Also opting for a lighter color will help. Black absorbs all the heat. One thing about leather being cold is that it will warm to your body temperture fairly quickly especially if it is a softer leather. My sister had custom leather put in her car and I don't remember it being too bad either in summer or winter. It was light tan which helps with the heat issue.

...and where do you plan on putting the bath towels when you are done covering up your Solstice seats? Don't even think about the (absence of) trunk. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
My father has a '98 seirra and he has leather. He has one small tear in a high rub spot on the corner of the seat where he probably caught something on it. Other than that the seats are flawless and still look new. Hold look very well. For almost 8 years old now, ild say GM has created a leather seat that will hold up. But also note that he takes care of his things very well and as anything is, if you dont take care of the leather seats they will probably not look at good.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I like leather seats, but probably won't opt for them in the Sol. Its a decision I will make when I can finally see what the leather and cloth seats look and feel like. I really could do without the leather in direct sunlight, and if its too smooth it will be too slippery for spirited driving. I am certainly leaning towards cloth, but leather is nice too!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
The only reason I would ever go for the leather is if the cruise controle/radio steering wheel is part of that package, and I have to get it to get those options. However both of those options are only things I kinda like, and don't need so I'll pass on the leather option more then likely.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top