Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I enjoy leather seats in my cars (never had it in a roadster though) - I was really wanting the basic cloth seating. Experience in the hot sun in the summer (especially when wearing shorts) with stinging vinyl seats years ago made me think a softer cloth surface to be less of a hassle.

...but I really like the idea of the convenience package option. That one seems to 'FORCE' the premium package with leather.

Anybody thought about how bad (as in stinging hot) a leather surface might get in 20 minutes of triple digit summer sun?

thanks

·
4,592 Posts
I have black leather seats in a MSM. I was really against leather for the same reason, I live in so cal desert, and had bad memories of vinyl seats.

I went through a calif summer, and was very happy, the leather is not that bad!

Sugestion, go sit in a comparable vehicle at a dealer on a hot day, see what you think!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If you really want the package, you will be able to manage. For instance, if you want to keep the direct sun off the seat, you could always through a light colored towel over the seat when the car is parked, and toss it to the side, in the trunk, etc when you go to drive the car.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
pgtr said:
While I enjoy leather seats in my cars (never had it in a roadster though) - I was really wanting the basic cloth seating. Experience in the hot sun in the summer (especially when wearing shorts) with stinging vinyl seats years ago made me think a softer cloth surface to be less of a hassle.

...but I really like the idea of the convenience package option. That one seems to 'FORCE' the premium package with leather.

Anybody thought about how bad (as in stinging hot) a leather surface might get in 20 minutes of triple digit summer sun?

thanks
I didn't consider triple digit temps - only double digit. I did considered Black leather seats for my Sly but decided to go with the Ebony Cloth. I do not like the look of the Sand and Steel. (they are not the quite the same color as stated/pictured in the brochure)

If they had offered an option of Dark Gray or Charcoal I would have picked leather.

It doen't get THAT hot here in Pittsburgh but we have had 90+ days - thus nix on the black leather for me.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Although not black leather, I frequently left the tops out in my TA-tan leather seats, sitting in the summer sun of Sacramento, often triple digits.
Unlike vinyl, the leather didn't seem as hot, and cooled quickly, even after 4 or more hours of baking time. The sealant around the big back hatch window softened to goo, tho!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. While I think leather (particularly black) will get hotter than cloth in the sun - I doubt it's as bad as the old black vinyl days. (you could literally burn yourself on that!)

BTW I just now found out from another thread based on a search that perhaps it's possible to get the convenience package WITHOUT the premium leather package being forced - it was posted that this may be a glitch in pontiac's website. (which may nullify my question in the first place)

thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
It looks great and it only stings for a minute :) Plus all the screaming from sitting on the hot seat will attract more attention and then another chance to talk about your Solstice :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Can you say Tonneau cover?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
HOW MANY TIMES MUST WE COVER THIS?! Pontiac, fix the damn website already.

You don't HAVE to get Premium when getting Convenience, the site must be glitched.

It's not you for asking about it, it's the fact that they still haven't fixed the site yet...

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Little Red #531 said:
Wouldn't that cause the same "heating up" the seats as putting the top up? Possibly even more so due to the now smaller space.

I believe it would - same principle so why go with an extra expense.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The seats wont sting for long as the air rapidly cools them down (since your top will be DOWN in such heat). Leather may warm quickly, but doesn't it also cool down quicker? It's skin, after all.

If i mispelled anything, I blame the bottle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Little Red #531 said:

:agree:

I ordered this when I ordered the Solstice. It will also keep such things as bird droppings off the seats.

I have tan leather in my MR2. , but with no corer. I fold the seat backs forward when out of the car.

Also, be sure to treat your leather seats with a good leather treatment with a UV inhibitor. That way the Son won't do a Number on the Seats.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
oregon solstice said:
It looks great and it only stings for a minute :) Plus all the screaming from sitting on the hot seat will attract more attention and then another chance to talk about your Solstice :lol:
That was VERY funny, oregon! ;)

And dori-san, thanks for the heads-up on the pontiac.com website. I was concerned that I could not build a Sosltice with Convenience without Premium, and your post makes me feel better. There's no reason for that requirement, so it must be a glitch.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
And dori-san, thanks for the heads-up on the pontiac.com website. I was concerned that I could not build a Sosltice with Convenience without Premium...
maybe I read too much into the original post - but I thought he was refering to the remote radio controls - which does require the premium pkg.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MAKsys said:
maybe I read too much into the original post - but I thought he was refering to the remote radio controls - which does require the premium pkg.
He seems to really want the convenience package (Includes cruise control, driver information center, fog lamps, and steering wheel accessory cruise control and driver information center controls.) without specifying he wants the radio controls on the steering wheel.

The radio controls are part of the Premium Package (Includes leather-wrapped steering wheel with steering wheel accessory controls, leather-wrapped shift knob and leather seating surfaces.)

I personally would not take the premium package for the audio controls on the wheel. Although the buttons are neat, they really only offer the option to change the volume and cycle through presets. The volume is easy enough anyway with the center know, and the presets are not that bad on the radio to require redundant wheel controls. Now, if you want the leather, it is neat to have. But if I didn't want leather, I wouldn't let the audio controls on the wheel force me into leather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I fully agree on the tonneau but that's something I'm only likely to use if I know I'm parking it for a while. Just the time it might take to fill up a tank of gas can put a lot of heat in the seats potentially - it doesn't take long at all.

Leather might cool down quicker (and not get as hot as old fashioned vinyl in the first place) but remember it's now cured and tanned and 'finished' too. ;)

Yes - I'm still undecided on the radio controls as well as leather... Good to know they are not 'forcing' the premium package as the website indicates! Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree throw a towel down if it's a scorcher... ( then again having a hot a** can be a good thing sometimes!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts