Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought since many of you are bored waiting for new Solstice news, I'd ask some general car questions hoping to learn from the many of you with so much car experience.

For Today, I'd like to know your thoughts on leather seats. I have never owned leather seats, and have memories of the ones I've sat in on occassion: in hot/desert weather they were TOO hot to sit on, in cold/winter weather they were too cold, and in humid weather you couldn't pull yourself out of them.

So, the question, what is the draw/benefit/lure. I do love the look of the solstice with the leather seats (although we yet to know what will actually be delivered inthe production vehicle).

Would love to hear your thoughts!
RODEO

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
naoki said:
Leather seats.... good for easily wiping away certain... uh... stains.
...from your passenger seat... after a "spirited" ride...

If they do a suede insert, leather is the way to go. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward fabric.

Perforated leather would be nice, but I hear it's big bucks to do it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
If they do a suede insert, leather is the way to go. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward fabric.
I agree with this.

Straight leather seats in a sports car of this nature are a no-no in my opinion. The car is designed to be flung through curves at a high rate of speed, and smooth leather seats are just too darned slippery. You don’t want to be sliding around in your seat while trying to hold onto those high G turns!

If the leather seats have suede inserts, then they will hold you in place in the turns and suddenly become a much better option.

Cloth on the other hand will hold you in under all circumstances. The cloth also may be better in a roadster because they won’t heat up like leather in the sun, and cause you to stick to the seat if your wearing shorts. That brings back bad memories of vinyl seats. ACK! Glad those awful things have gone the way of the Edsel!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Leather is more durable, cleans easier and looks good. Fabric is way more comfortable, holds your butt in the seat better, is cheaper and has greater potential for colors and patterns. Depeneding on option packages or color choices I could go either way. If I get fabric I might be tempted to do what I have done in the past, get a quality set of sheepskins for them. I like the covers because they are very comfortable in all wheather and you can take them off and clean/replace if you need to. The only down side is they don't look all that cool.

With this car I don't know if I can bring myself to put sheepskins on. I have a suspecion I will go with leather just for it's durability and it's ease of cleaning, but then again if they come up with some great colors and patterns in fabric I could go that way too.

Like everything with this car, it's wait and see. :banghead

·
Registered
600 Posts
AeroDave said:

Like everything with this car, it's wait and see. :banghead
Hopefully we'll have an option. Waiting is the hard part.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
The only down side is they don't look all that cool.
Sheepskins are not "in" right now, but they don't have o look too bad either. A few years ago my father decided to go to sheep skins in both of his cars (a Fiero and a Geo Tracker winter beater). Both vehicles had dark grey interiors, and he found some grey dyed sheepskin covers. They don't look bad at all in either interor. Since they match the greys in the interior, they do not stick out or look out of place. I think they are a little warm in the summer, but when the temps hit 10 F, its nice to have them!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Sheepskins are not "in" right now, but they don't have o look too bad either. A few years ago my father decided to go to sheep skins in both of his cars (a Fiero and a Geo Tracker winter beater). Both vehicles had dark grey interiors, and he found some grey dyed sheepskin covers. They don't look bad at all in either interor. Since they match the greys in the interior, they do not stick out or look out of place. I think they are a little warm in the summer, but when the temps hit 10 F, its nice to have them!
Yeah, if you get quality sheepskins that are real sheepskin, well fitted and died the right color, they don't look to bad. I used to hate them because of the way they looked, but once I tried them I now actually like them alot. However, the Solstice is so cool looking, and if it does come with the two tone color interior, I don't think I can cover that up.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Yeah, if you get quality sheepskins that are real sheepskin, well fitted and died the right color, they don't look to bad. I used to hate them because of the way they looked, but once I tried them I now actually like them alot. However, the Solstice is so cool looking, and if it does come with the two tone color interior, I don't think I can cover that up.
I'd hate to cover the seats up too if they do a good job with them! If they look good, I'd definately want to show them off!

Sheepskins are best in the winter. Nice and warm when you hop in the car in the morning!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think most vehicles that have leather interiors, only have "leather seating surfaces", so if you switched to a suede insert there wouldn't actually be any leather left. LOL

I always try to get leather as it is easier to clean and gives a more upscale look, however it does have drawbacks. Mainly too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter (heated seats excluded). Many people make do just fine with those limitations.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I think most vehicles that have leather interiors, only have "leather seating surfaces", so if you switched to a suede insert there wouldn't actually be any leather left. LOL

I always try to get leather as it is easier to clean and gives a more upscale look, however it does have drawbacks. Mainly too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter (heated seats excluded). Many people make do just fine with those limitations.
But the suede is a type of leather, just not as easy to clean or as slippery!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
But the suede is a type of leather, just not as easy to clean or as slippery!
I am a fan of suede, but it is a real pain to clean. Don't know if I would want it for a seat in my Solstice, as it will be my daily driver. It would be pretty freakin cool when it was new though!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I am a fan of suede, but it is a real pain to clean. Don't know if I would want it for a seat in my Solstice, as it will be my daily driver. It would be pretty freakin cool when it was new though!
That’s a good point. I know it has started showing up on seats in other cars, but I haven’t really noticed any of them new much less used.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I like leather w/ suede inserts, but not for a convertible. If (God forbid) you should leave the top down and it gets rained on for a few minutes, the suede will never be the same.

I'll probably go with cloth, and get some neoprene seat covers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts