Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my car without the leather thinking that houston summers would burn my poor little body. I am going to miss the leather wheel though. Is there any way to get a leather wheel aftermarket or to cover mine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
physixman said:
I ordered my car without the leather thinking that houston summers would burn my poor little body. I am going to miss the leather wheel though. Is there any way to get a leather wheel aftermarket or to cover mine?
:agree:

I never understand why automakers haven't figured this out. A leather steering wheel and shifter boot should not be attached to the seating option. Some of us live in the South and would like to not burn our legs. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
stang said:
:agree:

I never understand why automakers haven't figured this out. A leather steering wheel and shifter boot should not be attached to the seating option. Some of us live in the South and would like to not burn our legs. :cool:
My solution to not burning legs-don't wear shorts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Or sweat my a** off in pants? You've got to be crazy...it was 103 this past weekend in Destin. I'd rather burn my legs for a few minutes getting in the car than be dripping all day from being soaked with sweat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I honestly never understood why anyone would want leather seats in a convertible. Growing up in sunnny So Cal, I have had to peel myself out of those seats on a hot summer day too many times. I used to keep a towel in my car all summer just to protect my legs and back (when I wear tank tops). Since then, anytime I order a car just to my liking, I always order cloth seats.

Hmmm, aftermarket leather steering wheel. Sounds yummy ;) We've already got some ideas for knobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I'm in total agreement with you Lillie as far as leather seats go. It gets way too hot here in the San Joaquin Valley and they're cold as heck in the winters. I do have them in my ol' 70 Eldorado but never in any car I've purchased besides that one. There's been more than a few occassions when getting into that car I've done a little dance on those hot leather seats when wearing shorts. And then there's those that say, 'Well just cover the leather with sheep skins!' My thinking about that is then why have the leather anyway if you're just going to cover it up? In my Intrepid I have the cloth seats but with a leather wheel and leather shift knob.
Oh, and Lillie, I'm hoping perhaps your company will possibly come up with some nice unobtrusive interior lighting ideas for Solstice. And too, maybe some sort of gauge package that will compliment the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Michael said:
Oh, and Lillie, I'm hoping perhaps your company will possibly come up with some nice unobtrusive interior lighting ideas for Solstice. And too, maybe some sort of gauge package that will compliment the car.

OH! I agree. Lighting would be nice.

Although, what's wrong with the current gauges?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Lillie said:
I honestly never understood why anyone would want leather seats in a convertible. Growing up in sunnny So Cal, I have had to peel myself out of those seats on a hot summer day too many times. I used to keep a towel in my car all summer just to protect my legs and back (when I wear tank tops). Since then, anytime I order a car just to my liking, I always order cloth seats.

Hmmm, aftermarket leather steering wheel. Sounds yummy ;) We've already got some ideas for knobs.
That's so funny. I almost wrote about the same thing. We had vinal seats with beach towels draped over them all summer to cool them down some.

If someone was to make an aftermarket leather steering wheel cover, I would think it should match the production one. :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
C5Vette said:
Or sweat my a** off in pants? You've got to be crazy...it was 103 this past weekend in Destin. I'd rather burn my legs for a few minutes getting in the car than be dripping all day from being soaked with sweat!
I've always thought that it was funny when people say that long pants make them sweat. I've lived in Arizona most of my life, and I've never made a practice of wearing shorts, I just don't like them. And, I never felt cooler with them on. As to leather seats, I like em. My 65 Malibu has vinyl seats, just as it originally did, and I can tell you that, in a convertible, vinyl or leather hold up longer than cloth, and fade much less in the sun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
To all of you that prefer cloth - Thank You! :)

I've NEVER liked leather seats (too many burned legs as a kid?). That has always been one of the struggles trying to buy new cars off the lot - the dealers always want to load them up with 6-way power leather seats :willy:
If I am driving my car 95% of the time, and my wife drives her car 90% of the time - why do I need power seats?!? :brentil:

I'm also glad to see some positive feedback on the Solstice's cloth seats. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
The reason I like power seats is not because I move them all the time (I am single and am the only one who ever drives my car), but because you usually have much more adjustment options than the manual seats. For example, I had a base Envoy with cloth/manual seats as a loaner car once and I hated it...the seat was way too low and I just couldn't get it to feel right. However, I have the power leather seats in my Envoy and have never had a problem getting comfortable.

Also, on my Envoy and Vette it has an "easy-exit" seat where the seat goes all the way down/back when you pull the key out and it makes it much easier to get in and out, especially when someone is parked close to you. Then you put the key back in and it goes back to its set position....try doing that with manual seats ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Editguy said:
I've always thought that it was funny when people say that long pants make them sweat. I've lived in Arizona most of my life, and I've never made a practice of wearing shorts, I just don't like them. And, I never felt cooler with them on. As to leather seats, I like em. My 65 Malibu has vinyl seats, just as it originally did, and I can tell you that, in a convertible, vinyl or leather hold up longer than cloth, and fade much less in the sun.
It's not the heat it's the humidity! The Southeast has humidity like you wouldn't believe. :yesnod: In Florida you can start sweating by just walking outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
stang said:
It's not the heat it's the humidity! The Southeast has humidity like you wouldn't believe. :yesnod: In Florida you can start sweating by just walking outside.
I hear ya stang! I was detailing my Envoy tonight in the garage (figured I better give it some attention before it's new sister comes in and steals my heart away :) ) and after just vacuuming the interior, I thought bugs were landing on my legs...I looked down and it was actually sweat dripping. And this was at 8pm when it was "only" about 85 degrees out...still 95-100% humidity though! If I walked around outside in pants during the summer I would stay soaked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
stang said:
It's not the heat it's the humidity! The Southeast has humidity like you wouldn't believe. :yesnod: In Florida you can start sweating by just walking outside.
Got ya. That would definitely make a difference. I sometimes forget what really high humidity feels like. I might be forced to wear shorts if I lived there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
C5Vette said:
The reason I like power seats... because you usually have much more adjustment options than the manual seats. For example, I had a base Envoy with cloth/manual seats as a loaner car once and I hated it...the seat was way too low and I just couldn't get it to feel right. However, I have the power leather seats in my Envoy and have never had a problem getting comfortable.

Also, on my Envoy and Vette it has an "easy-exit" seat where the seat goes all the way down/back when you pull the key out and it makes it much easier to get in and out, especially when someone is parked close to you. Then you put the key back in and it goes back to its set position....try doing that with manual seats ;)
Good points (I've never tried the 'easy-exit', but that does sound handy). My real complaint is that most of the up-scale cars on the lot will only have leather. When we leased a Suburban a few years back, we searched high and low to find one with cloth (yes, they were power cloth, just like our TrailBlazer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Yeah its been 95-100 here in Arkansas with heat indexes of 110 or more and guess what... I've had to catch up my mowing from vacation (totally worth it bc i drove the sol) but ive been mowing around 8 hrs a day. I cant hardly drink enough to stay hydrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
Yeah its been 95-100 here in Arkansas with heat indexes of 110 or more and guess what... I've had to catch up my mowing from vacation (totally worth it bc i drove the sol) but ive been mowing around 8 hrs a day. I cant hardly drink enough to stay hydrated.
Desert landscaping is wonderful. No mowing!
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top