Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a burning question for me. I've never drivin a vert before so I don't know the procedure. Is it okay to leave the top down when parked in public places?? Do people ever have problems with vandalism?

I would see if being okay if i'm going into a resturant for a few hours to eat or something...

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
SlipSlider said:
This has been a burning question for me. I've never drivin a vert before so I don't know the procedure. Is it okay to leave the top down when parked in public places?? Do people ever have problems with vandalism?

I would see if being okay if i'm going into a resturant for a few hours to eat or something...

Any thoughts?
I do not know what part of the country you live in, but from where I come from, NO WAY!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Around here it wouldn't be an issue, but in Green Bay, top would go up!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I leave my car with the windows down and T-tops down all the time. Never had anything stolen. I wouldn't leave sunglasses hanging out or anything, but if it's all stock stuff I doubt you'd have any problems. Unless you were in a specifically bad part of town.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's been speculated the car has an interior top down alarm system. There was a document posted a while back that seemed to refer to it having it. Not exactly sure if it does or not. If it does then it has a motion sensor in the car that sets of the alarm if someone enters the cabin area while the tops down.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'll probably be putting the top up just to keep the bird crap out if nothing else. Then the question is, do you bother to lock the door? Seeing how a simple pocket knife is all you need to get in.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im a big fan of "better safe then sorry" Ill always put the top up, unless Im at a show or with 10 or 20 ft of the vehicle, if nothing more than to prevent birds from crapping in it, like aerodave pointed out. But I can be forgetful when it comes to stashing all my valuables, so Id have to get back to my solstice and discover me $300 sunglasses had been "borrowed" :brentil: :willy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Top up and windows down keeps the interior from heating up and keeps the bird stuff out. Although, I did have a Trans Am with a proximity alarm that covered inside and outside the car - ah, the memories of watching TV with my girl and having to run to the balcony to shut the alarm off after a leaf fell through the t-top. Of course, someone hit the car a few months later - alarm might have gone off, but the car was too far away for me to hear. Our last convertible - we put the top up to keep the seats from getting too hot - windows only if it looked like rain.

·
Registered
767 Posts
DLD84 said:
Im a big fan of "better safe then sorry" Ill always put the top up, unless Im at a show or with 10 or 20 ft of the vehicle, if nothing more than to prevent birds from crapping in it, like aerodave pointed out. But I can be forgetful when it comes to stashing all my valuables, so Id have to get back to my solstice and discover me $300 sunglasses had been "borrowed" :brentil: :willy:
Since I've never owned a $300 pair of sunglasses, I guess I'm not too worried about someone stealing something out of a car with the top down. The only time I ever had anything stolen out of my vehicle was in my church parking lot with the soft top up and doors locked. The cost of a new top was much more than the value of the stolen items. If they want in, they will get in. Locks only keep out the honest people. Top down is fine.
:cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
SlipSlider said:

Any thoughts?
Even though I have a fully auto top that goes up in LT 10 seconds, I generally leave the top down in a public areas (shopping center, restaurant, etc) if my absence is LT 30 minutes and so far (knock on sheet metal), I've never had a problem. I do have the windows up and the doors locked so that it would be a little more difficult to get at the change in coin holder in my center console and there's rarely more than $30 worth of coins, so it wouldn't be a great loss..

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
My son just bought a 2006, 3.3L V6 24 Valve VVT-i Solara convertible and all I've been saying to him is "Put the top up or the birds will crap in it" :lol: I guess I'm practicing for when my turn comes.
"The family that Sols together lols together"...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Liam1694u said:
that's why God invented the lockable glovebox.
But the 6 CD changer is not in the glovebox.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah lockable glovebox will be the best thing, however, if I left something valuable out to see, theres a good chance someone might cut through the top to get to it, but Im guessing just having it up would get rid of 50% of the people who would be likely to take it, dont want to be seen hacking into the top of the car, no pocketknife etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Leave nothing to steal and lock the glovebox and you should be ok.

It's EASY to break into a convertible, if they really want to they will just slash the top open with a knife or sharp object, funny thing is, if the car is open most people won't touch it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The two times I've had anything stolen from my vehicle it was locked with windows up.
Smash goes the window, I get to sit in glass and of course it just happened to be cold and raining. Since then I have'nt left anything visible of value, rarely lock my doors and nobody seems to be interested. Locks are to keep honest people honest.
I currently drive a jeep wrangler but I have to admit having a soft top makes me feel vulnerable at times. I guess that's what insurance is for (minus your deductible and inconvienience)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I would figure if there is a top-down security system, it will be "weight-on-the-seats".

Also, if your top is down, and you have nothing in the car, there is less of a chance of anything out of your pocket, because the top can't be damaged.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Id say the bets defence is most likely top up windows down, top is up to prevent misc. crap(also literally) from getting into your car, while the windows down shows anyone looking for a free gift that most likely theres nothing good in the car anyway :willy: so many decisions! This will be my second car, and my current I got used, so Ive never had a hot new ride, which is more likely than any to be broken into, Ill most likely just lock it up nice and tight, windows up and all, and stash everything that isnt bolted down.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I leave the top down on my Miata when I will only be gone for 10-15 minutes. Everyone knows what a Miata looks like so it's no big thing. With my Sol I will probably keep the top up but will leave the windows down with "Valuables" in the locked glove box. I'm certain we will have a lot of people checking out our Sols. At least with the windows down we won't get finger prints and nose smudges on our side glass :yesnod: .

·
Registered
600 Posts
AeroDave said:
I'll probably be putting the top up just to keep the bird crap out if nothing else. Then the question is, do you bother to lock the door? Seeing how a simple pocket knife is all you need to get in.
Not too many theives here in our neck of the woods, but plenty of birds. My boss is originally from here and has never taken the keys out of any of his vehicles. Most strangers think of this place as Mayberry. It never has evolved.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts