Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifes wants to upgrade to LED headlights on her 2007 solstice. Here is a link to a funky light she wants.....anyone ever used these. any input is appreciated:

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
Wifes wants to upgrade to LED headlights on her 2007 solstice. Here is a link to a funky light she wants.....anyone ever used these. any input is appreciated:
LEDs rarely fit inside the housing without modification, and do not generally work well in non-projector applications.

And @shabby makes a good suggestion, as i think you will be wanting to return them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LEDs rarely fit inside the housing without modification, and do not generally work well in non-projector applications.

And @shabby makes a good suggestion, as i think you will be wanting to return them.

Thanks for the input. The modification is to be expected and I should have no issues with it. IF these is what she wants I will post a pic of the finished install and a small write up of how it went.

Eddie R.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

This isn't true anymore. Most are the same size if not smaller now. You also can make sure they are position right by matching the angle the factory ones sit in the housing. Most decent LED's now have screws you can loosen to turn the angle of the led.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This isn't true anymore. Most are the same size if not smaller now. You also can make sure they are position right by matching the angle the factory ones sit in the housing. Most decent LED's now have screws you can loosen to turn the angle of the led.
Good to hear that the designs have gotten better since I last dove down this rabbit hole.
We ordered them today. More to come

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup, most people that complain about the light pattern just haven't adjusted them to the correct position.

Super interested in seeing how they come out!

·
Registered
75 Posts
While they look cool, just be careful from a legal/liability standpoint. The standard is headlights are white & taillights are red. If she changes them to red & there's a crash; you'd have liability since the other driver would reasonably think they were following a car rather than swerving into the oncoming lane to create a head on. You'd also be easy pickin's for a cop who needs some tickets this month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While they look cool, just be careful from a legal/liability standpoint. The standard is headlights are white & taillights are red. If she changes them to red & there's a crash; you'd have liability since the other driver would reasonably think they were following a car rather than swerving into the oncoming lane to create a head on. You'd also be easy pickin's for a cop who needs some tickets this month.

Noted to all. Thank you for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the LEDs installed. They went in without any major issues. Only thing I had was a bad grounding connection on the Bluetooth module. Fixed that and it works great. Here are a few pictures:

1st one is the rear of the headlight assembly where the lamp is secured. I have the old lamp setting in the socket and the new LED lamp pictured in my hand.

2nd pic is the LED installed. The old lamp had a thick red rubber gasket that needs to be removed because the new LED had one already installed on the lamp base. Took a few tries to figure that out. After removing that it just snapped right in, no modification required.
**Adjusting the lamps: I got lucky and the lamps did not need adjusting. The beam was just below the 4' mark on wall in front of the car I had on my garage WHEEEEW!

3rd and last pic is of the bluetooth module and where I hooked it up to the battery and ground.

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Wire

Routing and securing the wires was a snap. They supply a few zip ties BUT you will need way more. I also used black electrical tape to back up the zip ties. I zipped them to the existing wire harnesses on each side that follow the wheel wells where the headlight connectors come from and routed them to the firewall where I have the bluetooth controller mounted near the battery.

Trying to keep the wire out of "hot spots" was a challenge but I think I got it.

The APP "happy light" is what controls the features on the LEDs. There is a QR code you use to download it. If you don't "DO" QR codes you can go to the google store and search for it. Once I got the grounding issue fixed it worked great. Beats to music from the device the APP is loaded to and has many other cool features I am sure the wife will love.

You can turn on and run the LED portion of the lamps without having the car turned on.......FREAKY!!!

One thing I noticed was the LEDS stayed on when I turned the car off. That was not in any of the instructions and I had to figure it out.
Found you HAVE TO turn the APP 'OFF" and not just exit out. There is a power button on the APPs screen in upper middle. You have to press it and then the lights on the car will shut off. Dead batteries are no good! hehehe

Hope this may help someone in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got the LEDs installed. They went in without any major issues. Only thing I had was a bad grounding connection on the Bluetooth module. Fixed that and it works great. Here are a few pictures:

1st one is the rear of the headlight assembly where the lamp is secured. I have the old lamp setting in the socket and the new LED lamp pictured in my hand.

2nd pic is the LED installed. The old lamp had a thick red rubber gasket that needs to be removed because the new LED had one already installed on the lamp base. Took a few tries to figure that out. After removing that it just snapped right in, no modification required.
**Adjusting the lamps: I got lucky and the lamps did not need adjusting. The beam was just below the 4' mark on wall in front of the car I had on my garage WHEEEEW!

3rd and last pic is of the bluetooth module and where I hooked it up to the battery and ground.

View attachment 119320 View attachment 119321 View attachment 119322

Routing and securing the wires was a snap. They supply a few zip ties BUT you will need way more. I also used black electrical tape to back up the zip ties. I zipped them to the existing wire harnesses on each side that follow the wheel wells where the headlight connectors come from and routed them to the firewall where I have the bluetooth controller mounted near the battery.

Trying to keep the wire out of "hot spots" was a challenge but I think I got it.

The APP "happy light" is what controls the features on the LEDs. There is a QR code you use to download it. If you don't "DO" QR codes you can go to the google store and search for it. Once I got the grounding issue fixed it worked great. Beats to music from the device the APP is loaded to and has many other cool features I am sure the wife will love.

You can turn on and run the LED portion of the lamps without having the car turned on.......FREAKY!!!

One thing I noticed was the LEDS stayed on when I turned the car off. That was not in any of the instructions and I had to figure it out.
Found you HAVE TO turn the APP 'OFF" and not just exit out. There is a power button on the APPs screen in upper middle. You have to press it and then the lights on the car will shut off. Dead batteries are no good! hehehe

Pictures of them on?

·
Registered
901 Posts

View attachment 119320 View attachment 119321 View attachment 119322

So, these are just plug n play with the factory harness to the lights? Then you installed the blue tooth portion to the ground at the battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, these are just plug n play with the factory harness to the lights? Then you installed the blue tooth portion to the ground at the battery?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about late reply. Just saw this message.
*YES = Just plug the supplied adapter into the existing light harness.
**YES - The bluetooth module power and ground can be attached right to the car battery pos and neg terminals.

Here are 2 pics of it in operation. Can't do a video of it strobing to music....but it does that to with music loaded on the device that the app is on. .

Enjoy

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts