Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i came across led headlights and i was very interested in them.

I import products and figure why not open an online store to sell bulbs for cars. Should be fun.

I ordered some samples and put them on my solstice and kia. The fogs on the solstice are awesome. The headlights and fogs on the kia look fantastic as well.

The hi lo bulb on the solstice is a freaking mess.

Seems the placement is off when comparing to a stock hi/lo bulb. So thats where they fall apart. Anyways did more searching and have a newer better design on the way. Seems the placement is spot on and should work perfect.

Or it could just be the led bulbs dont work with hi/lo style bulbs. For single filament bulbs they seem to work really well though. I hope they do because they work fantastic in the fogs and work like a dream in the kia.

The only complaint with the current ones are they have a fan in them. I have a feeling those fans will fail within a year. The new ones coming in dont have fans and instead have a groved metal fins inside to disipate heat. There is another style with woven metal that works good to disipate heat but rather an odd design.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I'm a big fan of LEDs as a light source. They are 80%+ efficient as opposed to incandescent at 20% (the rest being converted into heat), and they use therefor less power while emitting more light.

My bet is that all car lighting will go that way sooner or later - the only thing standing in the way is cost. People can be short sighted. If LED bulbs cost twice what an incandescent does, many will opt for the cheaper alternative and will ignore the fact that the more expensive bulb lasts ten times longer.

I am in the midst of designing and building a new wine cellar and it will be all LED lighting so I can actually work in there without elevating temperature, while still being able to see what I am doing. Fire up 2 or 3 60 watt bulbs and the difference is noticeable.

I've looked at what is involved in replacing a coupe rear tail light and would much rather do that only once! Are there straight replacement tail light bulbs for the Kappas using LEDs. The headlights ar more complicated as it would be expensive for a business to do a conversion and sit waiting for a customer at the prices they'd have to charge.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Heh i actually thought he was using a speaker grill for the trim :D

cartmann32: how's the output compared to hid's?
It's not as bright as HIDs are...but the output, distance and coverage are pretty damned amazing....especially the newer JW Speaker 8700 Evo pods...the high beam has always left more to be desired but they corrected that in the new generation pods!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The future of lighting is Organic Light Emitting Diodes, or OLEDs, which probably means adding another computer that will be dedicated to the cars interior/exterior lighting. Makes me think that even fender benders may end up totally an entire car.

Enlarge to get the full effect.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Chop - that's "neat" and I'm all into neat, especially when it comes to lighting effects. But I tend to lean more toward the functional, especially for things like, oh, say, headlights? lol

I'm starting to crunch the numbers to replace all the "can" floodlights in my bride's daycare with either fluorescent or LED. We have standard T12 fluorescents but the cans are more of a quieter atmosphere. I've waited to let the trailblazers help drive the cost down on the newer technologies.

Both of my retractable trouble light reels in my garage and my shop have LED's. They take a "bounce" just a tad better than an incandescent or a fluorescent!

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
The future of headlights is Lasers and it's already here - at least in Europe. They are too bright to pass the laws over here though.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
I've looked at what is involved in replacing a coupe rear tail light and would much rather do that only once! Are there straight replacement tail light bulbs for the Kappas using LEDs. .
Yes there are. I bought from superbright led dot com several years ago spider lights that are a direct replacement for out bulbs. But they require a load resister in parallel. Since they basically dont wear out and I have them installed I have not done a lot of looking for replacments however there are now available internal base loaded direct replacement bulbs as well. If you want to go the route of adding your balast resistors then there are a wide variety of lights available from direct replacement (similar appearance and light level) to as wild as you want to get. I show installation of the load resisters in my thread.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought LED sequential tail light bulbs from Sweeplight on ebay a two years ago. No resistor required and a direct replacement. The resistor must be built into the circuit board the led's are mounted on. No rapid turn signal problem. They are very bright and the sequential effect is nice. They have passed two state inspections.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got different led headlight bulbs and they work great now. The say 6th generation on them.

The problem I see with most is they don't lay out the leds correctly. It should be in the same position as the filament on halogen bulb. If it's not spaced the same it won't work.

Also the newer bulbs have like a little bubble of glass or clear resin on the led. It helps to spread the light evenly. It has the cree with the bubble for the low and philips for the high. Not sure if the cree stays on when the philips goes on but I think it might.

One other thing I would like to do it have the fogs stay on with the brights. They really light up the sides of the road and I am living deep in the country down in Texas now. Those deer are super sneaky and love to jump right in front of your car at night. I finally hit one in my kia last month. Did 5k in damage. Although in this case I don't even think bright lights could have helped. It happens in a split second.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
What brand of lighting is that? Would be interested in reading about the specifics of the bulbs. What did you have to change in the wiring setup to accommodate these bulbs?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What brand of lighting is that? Would be interested in reading about the specifics of the bulbs. What did you have to change in the wiring setup to accommodate these bulbs?
Everything is made in the same couple of factories in China. Even the JW Speaker mentioned about is made in the same place. Possibly final assembly is done in the USA but still made in China.

Don't get me wrong. I'd still recommend buying from a reputable US company. The US companies will make sure the final product meets the customers expectations.

The ones I have are the latest design and I don't think any US company has picked them up yet. So it's still a crap shoot.

Only reason I got these is I liked the final finish and was willing to take a chance. Also most designs have fans built into them. While the LED lights might last 10 years I have a feeling the fans will only last 1-2 years.

If you want to buy from a highly reputable company I would buy from OPT7. Fluxbeam? LED Headlight - Opt-7

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Im trusting you LOL. I just ordered a pair. Thanks
Looking forward to your feedback and pics. I do have to wonder if switching to LEDs will cause any electrical feedbacks/spikes to other electrical systems, like the BCM?

Ideally I'd like to see the front turn signals moved into the headlamp bezels (like the 2002 concept headlamps) and the lower lamps be dedicated driving lights.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
One other thing I would like to do it have the fogs stay on with the brights.
I probably don't have to tell you this, but it is 100% illegal to drive anywhere in the US with highbeams and fog lights on together. It's a major fine in Michigan....I think $500 because I watched a girl get pulled over, and ticketed for it. When he told her how much she immediately started crying and saying she couldn't afford it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts