Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 2 parter. Trying to get my car show ready for the summer. I have 2 different questions. And I realize it should probably go in 2 different posts. However, both deal with LED lights.

The first is, has anyone ever heard of, or used Plasma LEDs in your fog lights? These are new LEDs that are out and supposed to give off a lot more lumens then regular LED lights. The normal LED fog light gives off 60/150 lumens (whatever 60/150 means), the plasma LED gives off 400 lumens. What is everyone thoughts on this? Lumen - LED Bulbs Comparison

My other one is more of a decorative question. I am looking for a scanner motion LED strip for the lower grill. I can't use plasmaglows as it's an inch tall and that will block a lot of that lower grill and by blocking that, I will take away a lot of air flow to the intercooler.... So I'm looking for a strip that has the same motion as does the plasmaglow. And too make it even more difficult, it has to come in white LEDs and have a white backing so it blends with my paint. And I would like it to be at least 15" long..... I don't care if it has a remote to control the pattern, as a matter of fact, I really don't want a remote, but beggers can't be choosers... Here's the plasmaglow -

PLASMAGLOW® - Night Raider 15" LED Scanner / Third Brake Light

Now before anyone says I'm going all "ricey", I'm doing this very tastefully and the lighting isn't going to dance or change colors or anything like that. I'm too classy for that!! ;)

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Ghostie (you KNEW I'd respond to this, right? :) )

Those "plasma" bulbs (jeez the terms marketing guys come up with!) although they are brighter than most regular leds, are just LEDs themselves. They get marketed at highly inflated wattages, but in reality they are generally about 1watt per side. It will be reasonably bright, but nowhere NEAR as bright as your original fog bulb. It will, however, me a much higher color temperature, which is something I know you are going for.

As to experience, I have tried a similar bulb in amber to replace the turn signal bulb. That was about 3/4 the brightness of the regular incandescent (which, again, is nowhere near the brightness of the fog halogen bulb).

For the LED strips, I have no help to give, sorry.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
245 Posts
400 lumens! I'm thinking if you turn those on at night you'll be sitting along side of the road with plenty of red & blue lumens behind you:lol: Just saying they might be a little bright for the local constables. :leaving:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
400 lumens! I'm thinking if you turn those on at night you'll be sitting along side of the road with plenty of red & blue lumens behind you:lol: Just saying they might be a little bright for the local constables. :leaving:
It's only half as bright as your regular headlights according to their formula. If you use the formula, your regular incadescent lights put out about 800 lumens.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
"Half as bright" and I show up to read it. What's that say about me?

I'll nose around a bit on the lighting on the scanner strip. I have many lights in my bar / rec room so I'm intrigued. Also, a buddy of mine set up an Escalade with similar lights for one of his radio stations as a promotional vehicle.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
By the way - for all of you interested in bright LED replacements... some rules-of-thumb:

1) Decent LEDs put out about 100 lumens per watt (better quality, more; lesser quality, less)
2) A decent LED (100L/W) is about 4 times more efficient than incandescent. Thus a 10W LED = a 40W bulb (roughly)

Of course neither of those rules account for the gain that an OEM bulb gets from a specifically-designed reflector. Nor do they account for marketing lies (sorry advertized LED wattage ratings)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts