Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed LEDs did a 6ohm/20Watt resistor... it fixed the Hyper Flash issue.. But when the lead lights were on I lost my brakelights??? SuperbrightLeds.Com reference a 6ohm/50 Watt resistor... And I followed the instruction on there site for installing the resistor. What do you think? 20Watt resistor is the issue or the DRL/Auto Headlights? Suggestions on what to do??? Please help.. I REALLY WANT LEDS.. BUT I DONT WANT HYPER FLASHING...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed LEDs and used a 6ohm/20Watt resistor.. It fixed the Hyper Flashing... But..... When the Headlamps were turned on.. NO BRAKE LIGHTS..??
SuperbrightLeds.Com sells a 6ohm/50Watt resistor.. could this fix the problem? I just dont like HyperFlashing.. and I really want the LEDs... Solstice has Auto Headlamps/DRLs... Could that be the issue? :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
I jus put in my LEDs for the tail lights, the 6ohms/50w works perfect...If anyone need help wiring it, on the left side black is ground and yellow is turn signal. For the right side black is ground and green is the turn signal

·
Registered
414 Posts
What's the problem with it blinking faster?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
There is a flasher "unit" under the hood in the box that looks like a battery. Its in the upper right side, has 86 30 87 87A on the outside of the relay.

I think this is the flasher relay.. but has no reason to change it because of load does not matter, 12 volts is 12 volts to the relay.
You're partially correct...it's a relay (not a flasher). A12 volt multi-purpose relay. Generally available at auto parts stores (Auto Zone for sure). :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
will do :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I jus put in my LEDs for the tail lights, the 6ohms/50w works perfect...If anyone need help wiring it, on the left side black is ground and yellow is turn signal. For the right side black is ground and green is the turn signal
I know this is an old thread, but where exactly on the car did you mount the resistors? That's the only thing holding me back from putting the LED tail lights in.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but where exactly on the car did you mount the resistors? That's the only thing holding me back from putting the LED tail lights in.
Mine are right near the taillight light conector plug.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I mounted mine under the tail lights near the connector. Unfortunately the resister gets very hot and it deformed the tail light base. I am going to relocate the resisters to a heat sink when I get the car back. Someday.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I mounted mine under the tail lights near the connector. Unfortunately the resister gets very hot and it deformed the tail light base. I am going to relocate the resisters to a heat sink when I get the car back. Someday.
Probably because you're using such an (unnecessarily) low resistor value. When I was building my LED tails, I found through trial and error that about 4W draw was enough to stop hyper-flashing. With a 6ohm resistor you are drawing at least 24W through just the resistor alone (note: 24W at 12V - more when the engine's running)! That's a lot of heat.

Given the 4W value that I found to be successful, you could use a resistor 4 to 6 times greater - in other words something between 24 ohms and 30 ohms (to be safe). This would reduce the heat around your taillamp and load on your engine/battery, by a quarter or more.

Since I was using a 3W MR16 bulb in the center, and at least 1W to 2W worth of LEDs around the outside, I didn't need a resistor at all...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guys
Here is a description of how the turn signals work.

Turn Signal Lamps
Ground is applied at all times at G201 to the turn signal/multifunction switch. The turn signal lamps may only
be activated with the ignition switch in the ON or START position. When the turn signal/multifunction switch
is placed in either the TURN RIGHT or TURN LEFT position, ground is applied to the body control module
(BCM) through either the right turn or left turn signal switch signal circuit. Battery voltage is applied at all
times from the BATT MAIN 3 fuse to the BCM. The BCM then applies a pulsating voltage to the front and rear
turn signal lamps. Ground for the left front turn signal lamp is supplied at G101. Ground for the right front turn
signal lamp is supplied at G102. The left and right rear turn signal lamps are supplied ground at G302

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a set of replacement LED Bulbs. And while they look great the turn signal now blink really fast. What do I need to do to get them to blink at a normal rate?? I've searched and can't find anything. Please help.. Sorry but I'm not the smartest when it comes to things like this.
I want to see those LED lights can you provide some pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
odiaz, I think there are a couple of inaccuracies in your post. First, you are correct that the load resistor has to go in parallel with the bulb... but this is to effectively decrease the overall resistance of the circuit to cause more current to flow than the LED alone will draw.

Second, there was a thread some time back on this same subject and the conclusion there was that the turn signal operation (switching) is performed by the BCM and not a separate flasher unit. Thus, you cannot replace the flasher unit (there is none) to get around the fast-flash issue. If you can prove this wrong by identifying where the flasher unit is, I'd be happy to be wrong :)
Cant you just replace the relay with one for a led specifically?

·
Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
Cant you just replace the relay with one for a led specifically?
No. There is no relay to replace. The flashing is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM) which also does the load sending. You have to give it the load that it is looking for to prevent the hyperflash.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts