Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article and could help but think about some of the recent threads dealing with post mods (spoilers :brentil: , wings :nono: , vents :nopity: , CF hoods :nonod: , spinners :banghead: ). Porsche got it right.

http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2005/porsche/boxster/testdrive.html?partner=netscape

I know, I know. The solstice isn't the fastest, or the bigest engine, but read the article and they will tell ya that it doesn't matter.

To everyone out there that wants to turn this beautiful piece of machinery into a rice-burner, READ THIS.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it. And Porsche knows damn well "how to use it".

I hope the Solstice follows suit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh c'mon, a real CF hood is a real enhancement. From what I've observed, the weight bias is slightly forward. IIRC, the optimum weight distribution you actually want in racing is something insane like 40/60, hence why F1 cars (and many super cars) are MR. I plan on actually doing some things to my vehicle. I'd personally want a vented CF hood to help lower the forward bias, and move it rearward. Sadly, I don't think I'd spring for a battery relocation because of the limited size of the boot. As for spoilers, if they got the underbody aerodynamics right (which I think they did, since the Kappa platform draws tons of inspiration from the vette's), then they're not really necessary. For spinners, I'm with you there... blech! For the louvers in the CF hood, they're very handy at keeping temps down when running a turbo on a vehicle that isn't quite... prepared for one. Many tinkerers out there find heat an issue if they have no way to siphon it out somehow. Personally, I'd paint match my hood, I wouldn't want people to know. But then at the same time I'm wary of purchasing a CF hood, as the molds aren't always exact. I'd probably try to have a body shop hand make the louvers or something.

Forbes also supposedly isn't thinking about RUF when they talk about the boxster. The RUF boxster has huge intakes, vents, wings and insane amounts of modification, yet no one in their right mind would call it a ricer.

In conclusion, I don't think many people would "Rice out" a solstice. Sure there will be a few, but most will keep it clean. I just like to look towards the classics of old for inspiration, since this car reminisces old roadsters soo much. Some like things clean, some like things slightly more aggressive (Think 04 GTO vs. 05 GTO).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Opinions are like a**holes. Everone's got one. Some people like to enhance the looks of their car. Don't like it? Ignore it. It's not you who has to drive it.
I laughed at this :glol: but I also agree. :agree: Your car should be what you want it to be, not what someone else thinks it should be. I do tend to agree with everyone who doesn't think a wing will look good, but if they like it,my opinion really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am aware that Forbes isn't the best source. But that doens't make it anuy less accurate. It just happened to be an article I stumbled across, and I agree with. I think that Pontiac hit it PERFECT with the appearance of the car. And I hope that much like the Porsche, the Solstice will maintain it's overall look thoughout it's life.

Many cars before have been built that if you look at the overall appearance of the car it is still the same as it was 20 years ago.

All that I was trying to say was, that this looks like it could be one of those cars.

.....ok, i will admit. i had to get a little mod-bashing in there as well. but, screw you guys :D .

"To each his own" :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
:crazy:
Audio Imagez said:
Opinions are like a**holes. Everone's got one. Some people like to enhance the looks of their car. Don't like it? Ignore it. It's not you who has to drive it.
Hard to simply ignore when they stink though!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Our more "mature" forum members remember back to the late seventies and eighties when it was popular to modify RX-7's, Zs, Corvettes, Camaros, Fierros and the like with ground effects aero packages, scoops, air dams, foils, etc. I think this is practice is more an age phase thing than an estectic view.

As time goes on there will probably be some attractive (to some) aftermarket bodywork packages for the Solstice. But as others have said, for me Pontiac hit it right with the Solstice!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
PAS22 said:
Our more "mature" forum members remember back to the late seventies and eighties when it was popular to modify RX-7's, Zs, Corvettes, Camaros, Fierros and the like with ground effects aero packages, scoops, air dams, foils, etc. I think this is practice is more an age phase thing than an estectic view.

As time goes on there will probably be some attractive (to some) aftermarket bodywork packages for the Solstice. But as others have said, for me Pontiac hit it right with the Solstice!
Look around at all the Civics, S2K's, Scion's etc these days driven by the younger crowd. The more mature crowd isn't the only ones who liked to add ground effects and aero packages! ;)

It is just personal taste. Since the styling is what is really drawing people to the Solstice, it is natural that people already see it as just fine, and not in any kind of need for add ons to improve it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts