Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!! They cut my HFC off of my car and replaced it with a factory cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO irratated right now!!! Words can't even describe how pissed I am! They broke both bolts off trying to take the cat off to get at the waterpump. They said I would have had to wait 2 weeks for my car if I just wanted them to replace the bolts and not the whole unit. When I called them out on it, they said that the one that came off looked just like the new one, but my car doesn't have the giddy up or sound it used have! What can I do?!?!?!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Make them give your old one back. It is easy to tell them apart. Then look at it for yourself and see what they did to it.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told I couldn't have the old one back because it was "warranty" and they already sent it back with today's deliveries. Not only that, there is a core charge on it. Working in the dealership like I did, they're telling me the truth....however I still call BS on them sending it back when they got today's deliveries! :cuss:

I couldn't have it because of the core charge, which I agree with. I also agree that because it was warranty I couldn't have it.... But sending it back right away.

You should have seen the look on my advisor's face when I said I had a Solo HFC on it....he turned white as a ghost.... then proceeded to tell me they looked the same and that it was already sent back.... that's what I call BS on!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So, what does the exhaust have to do with the water pump replacement and/or why were they dikkin around with your car like that?
Reminder to self: a trip to a GM dealership for repairs should be avoided like the plague!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on which way they go at it.... From the bottom, they have to pull the cat off to get at it. From the top, they have to pull the turbo off to get at it from what I can see. Either way, the cat would have had to have been unbolted. And they broke the bolts off in the cat.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Ghost: I also have a Solo HFC on my NA and the stock cat looks a lot different than the Solo one. Seems like they were in a hurry to ship your cat out. I would wonder why.
Do you have any options now?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The NA looks nothing like the 2.0L turbo. Both the OEM and the Solo HFC look almost identical for the 2.0.... The NA OEM and Solo look completely different.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would let the service manager know what they did and demand they replace what you had. That's why I save all the receipts. Would be like them balancing you tires and they screw up an aftermarket rim and replace with a stock one. I would not except anything but what was on there before they worked on it.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!! They cut my HFC off of my car and replaced it with a factory cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO irratated right now!!! Words can't even describe how pissed I am! They broke both bolts off trying to take the cat off to get at the waterpump. They said I would have had to wait 2 weeks for my car if I just wanted them to replace the bolts and not the whole unit. When I called them out on it, they said that the one that came off looked just like the new one, but my car doesn't have the giddy up or sound it used have! What can I do?!?!?!
Ghost, first send a letter of complaint to the dealership who did this, telling them how very unhappy you are with their service and explain exactly what happened. Be sure to send a copy to the Better Business Bureau and they will help you with it. I will send you an IM about the BBB. This just irritates the HECK out of me!!! :cuss:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my issue. I have no proof other then the cat, that it was a Solo. I bought the car used last fall. I don't have any receipts for the cat, so complaining and hollering isn't going to get me anywhere. Not only that, I've worked in a dealership, I've seen how this is handled. With a warranty, they will only replace parts with OEM parts, not aftermarket....it's all they're allowed to do. Secondly, I have no proof it was a Solo cat, other then the exhaust being Solo. So I just chalk this one up to a learning experience, take my $400 lump (of course with a lot of beer for my buddy who will be installing the new Solo HFC) and move on. I appreciate all of you guys getting upset with me, but there really is nothing I can do. The cat is even "gone" from the dealership, so I can't even ask to see it.... :( My biggest concern is that I'll get a CEL because the car is used to the HFC, then they'll really be screwed!!!*

*See signature below... LOL

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Here's my issue. I have no proof other then the cat, that it was a Solo. I bought the car used last fall. I don't have any receipts for the cat, so complaining and hollering isn't going to get me anywhere. Not only that, I've worked in a dealership, I've seen how this is handled. With a warranty, they will only replace parts with OEM parts, not aftermarket....it's all they're allowed to do. Secondly, I have no proof it was a Solo cat, other then the exhaust being Solo. So I just chalk this one up to a learning experience, take my $400 lump (of course with a lot of beer for my buddy who will be installing the new Solo HFC) and move on. I appreciate all of you guys getting upset with me, but there really is nothing I can do. The cat is even "gone" from the dealership, so I can't even ask to see it.... :( My biggest concern is that I'll get a CEL because the car is used to the HFC, then they'll really be screwed!!!*

*See signature below... LOL
There is something you can do. Read my PM.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that I know they chopped my converter off, I'm torn. I don't have the 4th/5th gear giddy up that I had, and I don't have the noise, but it did fix 2 other issues that I had. I had a "chug" about every 6-10 seconds sitting in traffic, kind of a miss if you will. I always chalked it up to my other little item I had. That is gone and the car is smooth now. No rough idle at all. The second and biggest other complaint I had about the car was the cold issue I had where it would fall flat on its face until it reached 150-160 degrees. That is now gone. So if anything positive came out of it, those 2 things would be it. Still my biggest concern would be getting a CEL because the car isn't used to the new converter.....can anyone tell me if this is a possibility?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It should be fine. Because if anything, it is now cleaning the downstream exhaust better, so no reason for it to sense anything wrong. My bet is you had an extender on the down stream O2 sensor to get the HF CAT to work without throwing a CEL. And given the level of "expertise" expressed by your service department when they FUBARed your HF CAT, just to change a water pump: My bet is they weren't smart enough to notice the extender on the downstream O2 sensor. :lol::lol::lol: So it is probably still installed, where you no longer need it because the OEM CAT does not need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts