Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I ever get mine, it's going to roll over 2K in the first month, probably take some dings and rock strikes in the first year, burn up some brake pads, and get a new set of shoes before some folks roll a fifth full digit on their odos.

I had a Porsche and babied it for five years...worst investment I've ever made. This roadster will be on the road 365. Yeah, 40 years from now someone will no doubt say "if you'd only garaged it, it's be worth a million today!" Yeah, yeah, yeah...but I might be dust by then...and there might not be any petrol left by then either!

First one to 250K miles wins!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Over 600 miles on our first 1K this weekend!

Took it to Eureka Springs for our annual Corvette weekend. I think the Sol got as much attention as any Vette there. Looked like a bumblebee going down the road though...My 96 Comp Yellow Vette, the Sol, and my son's Mill. Yellow 02 Vette! Too much fun.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Solace said:
If I ever get mine, it's going to roll over 2K in the first month, probably take some dings and rock strikes in the first year, burn up some brake pads, and get a new set of shoes before some folks roll a fifth full digit on their odos.

I had a Porsche and babied it for five years...worst investment I've ever made. This roadster will be on the road 365. Yeah, 40 years from now someone will no doubt say "if you'd only garaged it, it's be worth a million today!" Yeah, yeah, yeah...but I might be dust by then...and there might not be any petrol left by then either!

First one to 250K miles wins!
Good plan.

No automobile is a good investment. Even those rare few cars that are worth good money down the road still are not great investments as their rate of return is still far lower than a more traditional investment method.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I'm going to help the investment curve. I'm going to drive mine as much as I can until I have to get another car. Mine won't stay pristine but it will fill me with memories I'll hold for the rest of my life. I'll let someone else have the museum car for an investment, my car will be the car that everyone looks at on the road and says "wow".

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The only good investment cars would be maybe the first 100 cars and then Mallet cars. But then who puts a V8 in this car to park it in their garage?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The way I see it, cars ane for driving. If someone wants to put together a classic in 20 years, so be it. But today, drive and enjoy. I am Not a museum curator.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
do you think all those nice Old Corvettes were babied or never driven? nope it is called Restoration of a classic, Enjoy your car now and someone else can enjoy restoring it in the future

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Mine will be driven but also kept in great shape. Took me a long time to get a 2nd car and just want to keep it looking good. Not about investment for me, just pleasure.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, if you can go by their current prices, won't be any Miatas
adorning classic car books down the road. That car was always a woman's car to me - too dainty and sexless. You may not believe this, but last week when I was wondering thru some Miata forums looking for historical info
so I could prove to my neighbor that the Miata was designed by Americans and a Brit, I happened upon a heated discussion as to whether the Miata was, as some have apparently claimed, a homosexual's car!! How 'bout that,
the Mazda Miata, Queermobile. Anyone else heard of this rather strange
argument?

·
Registered
278 Posts
same here, i baby my cars, sure, but thay dont just sit. i drive the snot out of it. this car will be my daily, but i will maintain it like a show car, and show it. i eventualy want to fix my fiero GT, and get a DMC-12 DeLorean. all 3 will be show quality, and driven regulary, and never trailered.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
tednelson83 said:
same here, i baby my cars, sure, but thay dont just sit. i drive the snot out of it. this car will be my daily, but i will maintain it like a show car, and show it. i eventualy want to fix my fiero GT, and get a DMC-12 DeLorean. all 3 will be show quality, and driven regulary, and never trailered.
Funny you should mention the Fiero and the Delorean, Where I have my Corvair stored in the winter there is a fellow there that has one of each of those...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I bought the Solstice to do some serious motoring,did not buy to look at and wonder the value of it as an investment.What good is having money if you don't spend it, :confused: also what good is having a drivers car if you don't DRIVE IT. :cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
i'll be driving mine as much as possible, while i'd like to protect it from some serious dings no point in sweating the small stuff. it's going to happen sooner or later.

years ago i had bought my wrangler and took it off-roading for the first time. i made the mistake of stopping over the crest of a (mud) hill. i slid down into the jeep in front of me and put a nice dent into my bumper. of course some other people with us came over to see the "accident" and one guy was excitedly offering to sell me a new bumper to replace the dented one (he was the parts manager at a jeep dealership). i said to him, "replace the bumper? hell no! that's my first battle scar and i'm keeping it!" still have that dented bumper and the fun memories of that trip (upstate ny, beautiful country). i've gathered a few more since then too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts