Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, I missed out on an EOP car and couldn't even get on the wait list even though I was #1 at my dealer.

Now my dealer, who had promised me MSRP for EOP, along with other dealers in my area are now saying $3000-$5000 minimum markup for the pitiful few they are allocated for the next four months. :(

What are dealers in other states now asking for a Sol?

·
Registered
114 Posts
don't sweat it, this won't last. we've all seen this before - Chrysler did it with the Crossfire, splashy "art of driving" events at country clubs to test drive the car - then all those attendees (like me) went to dealers where they wanted $5K+ over sticker for the Crossfire. Everyone walked away, all of the initial enthusiasm generated by the promo was drained away, now Chrysler can't give these Crossfires away.

The market demand for a car like the Solstice is narrow. The car does not have an automatic transmission available yet, that will send 70% of initial buyers (and most of the females) elsewhere. Most non-auto-afficianado people looking to get a roadster think "MIATA" right away, not Pontiac. Look at all the people ranting about how the EOP program was "mishandled" and are now disgruntled. Eventually, these trends will overshadow the initial "demand exceeds supply" phase we are in right now.

The smart dealers are the ones bulding up their order book with people at MSRP. Those are the smart dealers. Those are the dealers who will be doing well selling this car this time next year. The ones asking over sticker will get a few suckers at the beginning, but it won't last. A year from now they will be singing a different tune - those same dealers will be blaming Pontiac for slow sales of this car!

·
Premium Member
10,428 Posts
nyca said:
don't sweat it, this won't last. we've all seen this before - Chrysler did it with the Crossfire, splashy "art of driving" events at country clubs to test drive the car - then all those attendees (like me) went to dealers where they wanted $5K+ over sticker for the Crossfire. Everyone walked away, all of the initial enthusiasm generated by the promo was drained away, now Chrysler can't give these Crossfires away.

The market demand for a car like the Solstice is narrow. The car does not have an automatic transmission available yet, that will send 70% of initial buyers (and most of the females) elsewhere. Most non-auto-afficianado people looking to get a roadster think "MIATA" right away, not Pontiac. Look at all the people ranting about how the EOP program was "mishandled" and are now disgruntled. Eventually, these trends will overshadow the initial "demand exceeds supply" phase we are in right now.

The smart dealers are the ones bulding up their order book with people at MSRP. Those are the smart dealers. Those are the dealers who will be doing well selling this car this time next year. The ones asking over sticker will get a few suckers at the beginning, but it won't last. A year from now they will be singing a different tune - those same dealers will be blaming Pontiac for slow sales of this car!
:agree:
GREAT Advise, specially if there is NO Delivery until 4Q.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Definately don't pay over MSRP. Even if you have to wait 6 months longer to get the car, it doies pay to be patient. In the grand scheme of things, 6 months isn't much time, and not all that long to wait. Plus, paying the gouging only encourages more of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts