Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 2007 base model Solstice with 25K on it. Silver/Grey, stick shift and a few options.

I have always viewed these cars as a work of art and have admired them from afar.

Suddenly I decided I needed one.

I have not had a stick shift vehicle since a Triumph Spitfire many years ago and I am really enjoying it.

I love the torque and power of the Solstice. Though now I am thinking maybe I should have gone with the GXP which must be a whole other level...

A little about me. I live about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, PA. Married with a 12 year old daughter and a 3 year old standard poodle.

I am 62 so I may be a bit late to start a mid-life crisis, though better late than never.

Thus far the Solstice is the only aspect of the mid-life crisis. All other elements of my life are a bit normal and boring. So if you need to pick something out of the ordinary to do, why not a Solstice?

Not sure if there are any active Solstice groups in my area and if so, I am interested.

Thanks to all the website folks for putting up the site and the many contributors.

It's been very educational to tour around the forum website as I begin my Solstice education.

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
We are 69 and 73 Tom and Joan.
We have a bright red 2006 Solstice, Mint condition only 45,000 miles. Tom (the younger mate) at 6 foot tall is cramped in the cockpit.. Joan, my older short bride has to rack up the seat. It was Joan's dream car. We bought it a year ago. Always been a STL car. Our goal is only 5,000 miles per year. Not a daily driver. Joan has picked out 2 previous rag tops over the years. This is definitely our favorite. Love the forum with all their links to owners. We also have a manual transmission. Love everything about the car! Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 2007 base model Solstice with 25K on it. Silver/Grey, stick shift and a few options.

I have always viewed these cars as a work of art and have admired them from afar.

I have not had a stick shift vehicle since a Triumph Spitfire many years ago and I am really enjoying it.

I love the torque and power of the Solstice. Though now I am thinking maybe I should have gone with the GXP which must be a whole other level...

A little about me. I live about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, PA. Married with a 12 year old daughter and a 3 year old standard poodle.

I am 62 so I may be a bit late to start a mid-life crisis, though better late than never.

Thus far the Solstice is the only aspect of the mid-life crisis. All other elements of my life are a bit normal and boring. So if you need to pick something out of the ordinary to do, why not a Solstice?

Not sure if there are any active Solstice groups in my area and if so, I am interested.

Thanks to all the website folks for putting up the site and the many contributors.

It's been very educational to tour around the forum website as I begin my Solstice education.

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
Your car looks just like mine is your color shadow Grey? I bought mine in 2012 2006 Solstice & still loving it & keep getting compliments on it had 8300 miles on it now at 61,000 haven't had any major issues with it at all bought it in Arizona & have kept it in a garage so still looks like new! Good Luck! Penny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
I have a 2006 base and am glad I don't have a GPX less headaches less problems, the power is there no need to burn off tires, if you want spunk let the rpm climb before shifting. Last thing you want is for that 12yr to not learn how to drive that car, it will be hers once she hits License age you do understand that hahaha. I have turbo's on my other cars and frankly find that I rarely need to push one to the limits. Enjoy that base it will bring you many yrs of joy if you treat it right. The only change I made to mine period is the head unit (RADIO) I replaced it with a Car net capable set to give it GPS Mapping service thru my phone. With the right harness its plug and play no need for any wire to be cut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
Don, don't feel that you should have gotten GXP. The only thing about that version is the turbo and it has its issues. I too own a standard NA version, 2006, and have been driving it for 12 years. If you run the rpms up to about 4K before shifting you will get plenty of kick on the power. Enjoy to ride, it is much more fun than a MX5 and a heck of lot better looking.

Inspector Joe

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
182 Posts
Welcome, Don. Lovely car and family. I'll add my two cents: I sometimes wish I had a GXP, BUT, they have their own special issues and horsepower only gets me in trouble (always has). I have more than enough fun driving my 2006 non-turbo.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Don, don't feel that you should have gotten GXP. The only thing about that version is the turbo and it has its issues. I too own a standard NA version, 2006, and have been driving it for 12 years. If you run the rpms up to about 4K before shifting you will get plenty of kick on the power. Enjoy to ride, it is much more fun than a MX5 and a heck of lot better looking.

Inspector Joe
Having owned an NA and driven all the MX5 generations, I do not think an NA Solstice would be much more fun. But to each their own.
The Miata is quite tossable and communicative. It feels more athletic due to its light-weight chassis. Steering and clutch-shifter action is something the Kappa twins are unable to match IMHO. But they are so darn common!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I got my Solstice 3 years ago when I was 69. Still having a blast driving it.
I bought my 2006 Solstice 10 yrs ago & still love it as much as the day I bought it. I still get alot of compliments on it as I have taken really good care of it & haven't had any major issues with the transmission so far! I bought it in Arizona & have driven it to Michigan twice get more ppl in Michigan interested in it then in Arizona! I hope it lasts a long time!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
Nassam 18 in west Virginia 19 to 24 June 2023...

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Having owned an NA and driven all the MX5 generations, I do not think an NA Solstice would be much more fun. But to each their own.
The Miata is quite tossable and communicative. It feels more athletic due to its light-weight chassis. Steering and clutch-shifter action is something the Kappa twins are unable to match IMHO. But they are so darn common!
The Miata definitely feels faster, but head to head the Solstice actually is faster.

Reactions: DonH

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
THE GXP IS GREAT
enjoy your car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome Don and hello from Louisiana. Will be up in East PA in a few weeks.

I have been on this forum since my first midlife crisis when I was waiting on the delivery of my 2006 fresh from the factory 1st generation Solstice that came in December 2005. At that time had 3 kids but when the oldest could drive, I was free to get a two-seater. Still have that car and I still enjoy the feeling I get driving a stick. I found the base model has plenty enough power for me, but did think that one day I might have upgraded to more powerful Solstice - but GPX was not enough of an upgrade to me. Then Pontiac went away so no V6 was ever going to be made by GM.

Enjoy the ride!
I had an ‘89 Bonneville with the push rod V-6 when OHC were starting to be put in a lot of cars. That was one fabulous engine and would have really put an NA kick in a Soltice! Ahhh... we can only mourn..

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
I am always amazed at how a conversation about introducing a new member turns into "you shoulda bought . . "

Get what you like

Have fun with it.

Any version of the Kappa is a great car. I have had an 2.4 and a 2.0 and a 376. They all share a common platform and deliver tons of beauty, grace, and fun.

As to your fit into the car, if you have the electric drivers seat, moving it to the up position also moves it slightly to the rear and can deliver slightly more leg room. I was just shy of 6 feet when I bought our Kappas 15 years ago. Now I am about an inch shorter. Another benefit of aging well!! I put my seat all the way to the rear and frequently use the seat height adjustment to fine tune the position for the driving conditions.

Also if you have not seen the updated Kappa Checklist you might want to take a look. It can be helpful. We will be bringing it to the Nationals in WV. I really want to run the list on Soups car LOL
License Number:
ItemDescription
1Pop open the key fobs to verify the integrity of the solder joint to the battery retainer
Exterior
1Verify operation of exterior lights
2Inspect body panels for fit, condition
3Check TPMS for function and tire pressure
Engine Bay
1Visually inspect engine bay for condition clean as necessary
2Verify brake fluid level and condition. DOT 3 change 3 years DOT 4 Change 2 years
3Visually inspect condition of all charge tube clamps.
4Check air cleaner filter element condition
5Inspect the PCV valve for proper operation and connection
6Check tightness of exhaust bolts, mounts
7Check tightness of turbo shield
8Inspect turbo oil lines
9Inspect oil fill level and condition (fuel contamination)
10Inspect / service battery terminals
11Inspect / service engine ground terminal
12Check all fluids. Verify mileage / life are within required values
13Inspect forward fuse box and terminals for condition
14Inspect hood / fender latches, lube as necessary
15Inspect electrical cables for condition
16Check condition of inner fenders
17Check ECM is properly mounted and condition of connectors
18Check radiator intake for blockage. Clean radiator with coil cleaner from Home Depot
19Check status of anti corrousion fuel treatment and add as required
20Check on age of belts and hoses
Cockpit and Top
1Check tightness of top when up and locked. Adjust as necessary (left and right)
2Query owner about wind noise. Adjust windows if necessary
3Check condition of door handles, tighten / repair if required
4Lubricate the sliding portion of top mechanism over the doors to preclude pinching.
5Inspect side slider and lube as necessary
6Visually inspect the slide plate over the doors for tightness and wear. Replace if necessary
7Check operation of the roof latch, tighten as necessary
8Visually inspect the windshield to top gasket. Looking for tears, holes etc. Lubricate
9Check operation of buttress latches, lubricate / adjust as necessary
10Verify proper operation of convertible top folding mechanism.
11Verify condition of rear window glass and defroster
12Treat all rubber seals with di-electric grease
13Pull the center console and check for cracks. Install support if required.
14Cycle both cupholders and check operation. Lube as necessary.
15Check operation of dash trunk release button.
16Pull the right carpet front and visually inspect BCM area
17Visually inspect BCM fuses.
18Cycle driver's seat height adjustment to verify operation. Lube as necessary.
19Check operation of hood release latch, lube as necessary
20Check dead pedal for condition
21Check door hinges for operation, service as necessary
22Verify condition of door body latches
23For vertical doors verify fit and adjust. Lubricate
Trunk
1Verify trunk latch operation
2Check trunk operation. Verify condition of torsion bars / hinges
3Check / service trunk lid hold down rubber feet.
4Visually inspect trunk pressure release valve
5Visually inspect flap cables for operation and condition. Adjust / Lube as necessary
6Visually inspect trunk cable assembly, connectors etc.
7Visually inspect and lube as necessary buttress latches
8Check trunk light for operation
9Check rear trunk drain area. Clean as necessary.
10Verify operation of trunk forward drains, left and right. Clean as necessary
Underside
1Inspect intercooler drain tube, check for presence of oil, water or contaminates
2Inspect radiator for blockage, clean as necessary.
3Inspect the front bumper and "chin" for scuffing or damage
4Visually inspect inner fenders for rubbing / wear inside rear wheel wells
5Inspect condition of wheel electrical connections
6Check break pads / disks for wear
7Visually inspect shocks for condition / leaks / operation
8Check wheel hub bolts (three per wheel) for proper torque (or if missing)
9Inspect the bottom attachment points for fenders and condition of fenders
10Visually inspect the differential for leaks and condition of mounts
11Verify condition of wheel bearing condition.
12Inspect exhaust system for condition and tightness
13Inspect condition of O2 sensor wiring
14Check / torque wheels/ apply anti-seize to prevent dissimilar metal welding of lug nuts
15Inspect tires for condition, wear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
Beautiful family and a fun car! Enjoy both.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi All,

Let the journey begin!

Cheers!

Don
Hi Don and welcome to the Forum

It's never too late to start a mid-life crisis. I started mine at age 13 and have never stopped having it.

I have had many great cars over the years ( wish I still have at least 3 of them today ) but my 2006 base Solstice is my favorite.

I bought my Solstice when I was 69 ( 2016 ). I enjoyed it for about six months and decided I wanted more for it ( and me ). At that point I had some custom body work done to it and then in 2019 had a full LS3 conversion done ( 480 hp ) with a Tremec 6 speed trans.

I'm now going on 74 and still love and drive ( as often as I can ) my Solstice.

I'm not quite sure I belong on this forum because I haven't run into anyone that has done an LS conversion. Mine is more of a Solvette rather than a Solstice.

Enjoy your crisis and your Solstice. You are as old as you feel.

Blessings
Clark

21 - 40 of 70 Posts