Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi Don and welcome to the Forum

It's never too late to start a mid-life crisis. I started mine at age 13 and have never stopped having it.

I have had many great cars over the years ( wish I still have at least 3 of them today ) but my 2006 base Solstice is my favorite.

I bought my Solstice when I was 69 ( 2016 ). I enjoyed it for about six months and decided I wanted more for it ( and me ). At that point I had some custom body work done to it and then in 2019 had a full LS3 conversion done ( 480 hp ) with a Tremec 6 speed trans.

I'm now going on 74 and still love and drive ( as often as I can ) my Solstice.

I'm not quite sure I belong on this forum because I haven't run into anyone that has done an LS conversion. Mine is more of a Solvette rather than a Solstice.

Enjoy your crisis and your Solstice. You are as old as you feel.

Blessings
Clark
Wow Clark. 480 HP? Must be hard to keep your drivers license with that kind of power is such a light car.

Great and inspirational story!

Glad you are still enjoying your Solstice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
We are 69 and 73 Tom and Joan.
We have a bright red 2006 Solstice, Mint condition only 45,000 miles. Tom (the younger mate) at 6 foot tall is cramped in the cockpit.. Joan, my older short bride has to rack up the seat. It was Joan's dream car. We bought it a year ago. Always been a STL car. Our goal is only 5,000 miles per year. Not a daily driver. Joan has picked out 2 previous rag tops over the years. This is definitely our favorite. Love the forum with all their links to owners. We also have a manual transmission. Love everything about the car! Tom
I have a 2006 base and am glad I don't have a GPX less headaches less problems, the power is there no need to burn off tires, if you want spunk let the rpm climb before shifting. Last thing you want is for that 12yr to not learn how to drive that car, it will be hers once she hits License age you do understand that hahaha. I have turbo's on my other cars and frankly find that I rarely need to push one to the limits. Enjoy that base it will bring you many yrs of joy if you treat it right. The only change I made to mine period is the head unit (RADIO) I replaced it with a Car net capable set to give it GPS Mapping service thru my phone. With the right harness its plug and play no need for any wire to be cut.
Thanks for the advice!

I am still struggling with the retro-technology. Though I have dusted off some of my favorite CD's and I discovered I can stuff 6 or more in the glovebox...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I am always amazed at how a conversation about introducing a new member turns into "you shoulda bought . . "

Get what you like

Have fun with it.

Any version of the Kappa is a great car. I have had an 2.4 and a 2.0 and a 376. They all share a common platform and deliver tons of beauty, grace, and fun.

As to your fit into the car, if you have the electric drivers seat, moving it to the up position also moves it slightly to the rear and can deliver slightly more leg room. I was just shy of 6 feet when I bought our Kappas 15 years ago. Now I am about an inch shorter. Another benefit of aging well!! I put my seat all the way to the rear and frequently use the seat height adjustment to fine tune the position for the driving conditions.

Also if you have not seen the updated Kappa Checklist you might want to take a look. It can be helpful. We will be bringing it to the Nationals in WV. I really want to run the list on Soups car LOL
License Number:
ItemDescription
1Pop open the key fobs to verify the integrity of the solder joint to the battery retainer
Exterior
1Verify operation of exterior lights
2Inspect body panels for fit, condition
3Check TPMS for function and tire pressure
Engine Bay
1Visually inspect engine bay for condition clean as necessary
2Verify brake fluid level and condition. DOT 3 change 3 years DOT 4 Change 2 years
3Visually inspect condition of all charge tube clamps.
4Check air cleaner filter element condition
5Inspect the PCV valve for proper operation and connection
6Check tightness of exhaust bolts, mounts
7Check tightness of turbo shield
8Inspect turbo oil lines
9Inspect oil fill level and condition (fuel contamination)
10Inspect / service battery terminals
11Inspect / service engine ground terminal
12Check all fluids. Verify mileage / life are within required values
13Inspect forward fuse box and terminals for condition
14Inspect hood / fender latches, lube as necessary
15Inspect electrical cables for condition
16Check condition of inner fenders
17Check ECM is properly mounted and condition of connectors
18Check radiator intake for blockage. Clean radiator with coil cleaner from Home Depot
19Check status of anti corrousion fuel treatment and add as required
20Check on age of belts and hoses
Cockpit and Top
1Check tightness of top when up and locked. Adjust as necessary (left and right)
2Query owner about wind noise. Adjust windows if necessary
3Check condition of door handles, tighten / repair if required
4Lubricate the sliding portion of top mechanism over the doors to preclude pinching.
5Inspect side slider and lube as necessary
6Visually inspect the slide plate over the doors for tightness and wear. Replace if necessary
7Check operation of the roof latch, tighten as necessary
8Visually inspect the windshield to top gasket. Looking for tears, holes etc. Lubricate
9Check operation of buttress latches, lubricate / adjust as necessary
10Verify proper operation of convertible top folding mechanism.
11Verify condition of rear window glass and defroster
12Treat all rubber seals with di-electric grease
13Pull the center console and check for cracks. Install support if required.
14Cycle both cupholders and check operation. Lube as necessary.
15Check operation of dash trunk release button.
16Pull the right carpet front and visually inspect BCM area
17Visually inspect BCM fuses.
18Cycle driver's seat height adjustment to verify operation. Lube as necessary.
19Check operation of hood release latch, lube as necessary
20Check dead pedal for condition
21Check door hinges for operation, service as necessary
22Verify condition of door body latches
23For vertical doors verify fit and adjust. Lubricate
Trunk
1Verify trunk latch operation
2Check trunk operation. Verify condition of torsion bars / hinges
3Check / service trunk lid hold down rubber feet.
4Visually inspect trunk pressure release valve
5Visually inspect flap cables for operation and condition. Adjust / Lube as necessary
6Visually inspect trunk cable assembly, connectors etc.
7Visually inspect and lube as necessary buttress latches
8Check trunk light for operation
9Check rear trunk drain area. Clean as necessary.
10Verify operation of trunk forward drains, left and right. Clean as necessary
Underside
1Inspect intercooler drain tube, check for presence of oil, water or contaminates
2Inspect radiator for blockage, clean as necessary.
3Inspect the front bumper and "chin" for scuffing or damage
4Visually inspect inner fenders for rubbing / wear inside rear wheel wells
5Inspect condition of wheel electrical connections
6Check break pads / disks for wear
7Visually inspect shocks for condition / leaks / operation
8Check wheel hub bolts (three per wheel) for proper torque (or if missing)
9Inspect the bottom attachment points for fenders and condition of fenders
10Visually inspect the differential for leaks and condition of mounts
11Verify condition of wheel bearing condition.
12Inspect exhaust system for condition and tightness
13Inspect condition of O2 sensor wiring
14Check / torque wheels/ apply anti-seize to prevent dissimilar metal welding of lug nuts
15Inspect tires for condition, wear
Quite a punch-list! Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
2006 solstice, white, 5 speed
25 Posts
LOL, why so many ex spitfire owners on this site? I have 6 and 3 gt6's , just got my first solstice this summer and I am blown away, the modern comforts and handling are incredible. I still love my spitfires and one is still registered and driven and it still put the biggest smile on my face when I drive it. The spitfire will out run my solstice to 60 mph, love that.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
658 Posts
LOL, why so many ex spitfire owners on this site? I have 6 and 3 gt6's , just got my first solstice this summer and I am blown away, the modern comforts and handling are incredible. I still love my spitfires and one is still registered and driven and it still put the biggest smile on my face when I drive it. The spitfire will out run my solstice to 60 mph, love that.
My adolescent dream was a V-12 Jag E-type*—even Ferrari thought it was perhaps the most beautiful passenger car ever. The ONLY other car that looks, to me, equally perfect in either ‘vert or coupe configuration is the Solstice, and the Jags are waaaaayyyy more expensive! Ultimately, Sol performance and reliability numbers just leave the classic Jag, however iconic, in the dust. Fewer carbs can be good for you!

Ultimately it’s personal preference, of course; but for my money there isn’t a better sports car experience to be had at this price/value point than the Solstice.

*Or maybe a DeTomaso Pantera in my late adolescence...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Two words that may cause the shift to a Solstice...fuseable links... or Spitfire wiring. Actually my first Spitfire was mint until I let my brother borrow it. A tornado came through town and toppled a large tree that crushed a three car garage and he had parked my Triumph in. It was the second Triumph with the wiring issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL, My spitfire was restored by me, every moving part and every switch replaced, drove like a new car and with the dual Mikuni flat slide carbs and 4-2-1 header it runs like a raped ape, love my spit but prefer to drive my solstice, love to look at my solstice, love owning my solstice. Now, with that said, anyone out there want to by a spitfire and a gt6? anyone know where I can get a used (or new) 4-2-1 header for my 4.2 solstice?

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Hi Don and welcome to the Forum

It's never too late to start a mid-life crisis. I started mine at age 13 and have never stopped having it.

I have had many great cars over the years ( wish I still have at least 3 of them today ) but my 2006 base Solstice is my favorite.

I bought my Solstice when I was 69 ( 2016 ). I enjoyed it for about six months and decided I wanted more for it ( and me ). At that point I had some custom body work done to it and then in 2019 had a full LS3 conversion done ( 480 hp ) with a Tremec 6 speed trans.

I'm now going on 74 and still love and drive ( as often as I can ) my Solstice.

I'm not quite sure I belong on this forum because I haven't run into anyone that has done an LS conversion. Mine is more of a Solvette rather than a Solstice.

Enjoy your crisis and your Solstice. You are as old as you feel.

Blessings
Clark
Clark, Clark, Clark
have you actually read this forum? The first six DDM conversions are members here. They dont post very often but then neither do you.

Mine was conversion 1 and it well documented in the Punisher thread. Have you bothered to read any of that 12 year long thread documenting the evolution of PunisheR?

Werks has done many conversions and still sells the parts needed. Many of his converted owners are or have been members here.

You have been here and have 37 posts? Seriously 37?

Maybe you need to actually participate actively to find out whether or not you "belong" here.

(1) V8 Conversion ECM Options | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) Wester's Garage - V8 Conversion Coding | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) V8 Solstice conversions... | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) V8 Solstice | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) FS : 2006 Pontiac Solstice with V8 conversion | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) Dual Outlets for Mallett V8 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) 1st V8 Solstice | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) V8 swap in California | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) DIY V8 build old school style | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) FS : 2006 Pontiac Solstice with V8 conversion | Page 3 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) First 1000 No.197- V8 Werks #1 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) 391 rwhp LS2 V8 powered Solstice! | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) V8 owners! How does it handle? | Pontiac Solstice Forum

(1) V8 Sol = Doughnuts Vid | Pontiac Solstice Forum

There are plenty more

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clark, Clark, Clark
have you actually read this forum? The first six DDM conversions are members here. They dont post very often but then neither do you.

Mine was conversion 1 and it well documented in the Punisher thread. Have you bothered to read any of that 12 year long thread documenting the evolution of PunisheR?

Werks has done many conversions and still sells the parts needed. Many of his converted owners are or have been members here.

Maybe you need to actually participate actively to find out whether or not you "belong" here.

(1) FS : 2006 Pontiac Solstice with V8 conversion | Page 3 | Pontiac Solstice Forum

There are plenty more
Thanks for your thoughts. You have convinced me that I DON"T belong on the Forum. I will unsubscribe as soon as I send this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Clark, Clark, Clark

There are plenty more
Maybe ask him about his car before you force yours down hist throat. Just sayin. I'd be interested in hearing about his car.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Wow. I leave you guys on your own for one day, and this happens.

Personal attacks, of which there are several here, byt several members, are not allowed on the forum. These are relatively mild by some standards, but still crossed the line. I am going to leave the thread alone for a while because the damage has already been done, but all should be aware that this was unacceptable.

I will say that there has been a lot of mis-interpretation about what @rob the elder actually said, and that he never suggested that @Clark B. should not be a member of the forum.

Clark actually made the comment first when he said: "I'm not quite sure I belong on this forum because I haven't run into anyone that has done an LS conversion. Mine is more of a Solvette rather than a Solstice."

We are (mostly) all aware that (as Rob points out) there have been many discussions about LSx conversions, and most of the owners of those cars are, or have been, members of the forum.

Rob then says: "Maybe you need to actually participate actively to find out whether or not you "belong" here." I am going to assume that by "participate" he actually meant "read", because reading the forum would reveal that Clark's car is not out of place here, and that he therefore does "belong".

Rob's post could have been worded differently, but it also should have been read more carefully, and reacting to someone else's interpretation of a post instead of interpreting it for yourself is never a good thing.

Just to be clear, post count is not a requirement for much of anything, and commenting on other members instead of sticking to the subject matter is not acceptable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I must give my apology for straying off the subject myself (mentioning the spitfire) I just noticed this similarity and jumped on it, I am sorry. BTW: My dream of having an LS solstice will never come true unless a used one pops up at a very reasonable price. The solstice with that much HP really excites me, wow, what a cool car to own and drive.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving .

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Well, I must give my apology for straying off the subject myself (mentioning the spitfire) I just noticed this similarity and jumped on it, I am sorry. BTW: My dream of having an LS solstice will never come true unless a used one pops up at a very reasonable price. The solstice with that much HP really excites me, wow, what a cool car to own and drive.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving .
I did not consider your post to be inappropriate. "Straying off the subject" is a time-honored tradition here in any case, but you didn't even stray that far.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,001 Posts
So people are putting V8s in Kappas... say it ain't so! :unsure:

Reactions: rob the elder

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Some people think you need to have a 12 year thread with thousands of post to belong here, otherwise you should just move along. LOL I average 54 posts a year, I guess I should go too.

Bert
Not me 😋
I noticed that the OP had been on the forum for a while but was mostly watching. My point was to share history with him so he would feel like he belongs. We love all members

my thread contains a vast amount of how to info. It’s more efficient to keep it together rather than create multiple threads that over time get lost I try to help people when I can and having the reference info in a searchable format works for me.

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Maybe ask him about his car before you force yours down hist throat. Just sayin. I'd be interested in hearing about his car.
LOL. My objective was to provide him with references to owners with the same interest. I could probably have said it better but no malice was intended
I fail to see how providing multiple forum references is “forcing” anything anywhere.
I can but hope you would be helpful to new members too

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Ya I'll apologise on RTE's behalf, sorry you had to endure that, it was not called for. Sorry to see you leave, but I completely understand.

Cheers, Bert
You’re kidding of course.
First by apologizing or me you are making a personal judgement that an apology is necessary
Second of you have been around for a while you know I always try to help people who have problems this has been the case for fifteen yesrs
Frankly you misinterpreted my statements thtook it upon yourself to denigrate me

maybe an apology is in order

it never fails to amaze me how people can get so upset over words on a screen

I’m sorry he and you got upset but I can’t control how you misinterpreted my attempt to help

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. You have convinced me that I DON"T belong on the Forum. I will unsubscribe as soon as I send this.
That is unfortunate. My objective was to drag forward several examples of V8 Solstice threads for you. Also to encourage you to hang around. I probably could have said it better but that is in the past. I am mystified by people who passively lurk and don’t contribute to the conversation and knowledge sharing.
hope you recomsider

41 - 60 of 70 Posts