Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading in many different areas that 100K was offered for Vin #1. Does anyone actually remember 100K being offered for the car? I personally remember making the statement that I believed if an auction were to take place, Vin #1 could go for more than 100K if it turned out to be black. I never offered 100K, only gave my opinion that it might get that type of bid.

That being said, I would have bid 100K for the car at auction as long as the auction took place before the car was delivered by Pontiac to the new owners. I placed this kind of value on #1 for a specific (charitable) reason, not for investment reasons. In my opinion, the car isn't that valuable from an investment standpoint.

Sure it has some extra monetary value being #1, but nothing significantly different than any other first 1000 car, in my opinion. Most of the value is in the hype, the anticipation, etc...not in the car itself. Now that the hype, and delivery has occured, miles have been driven on the car, etc...the value is now much less than before. If you think otherwise, see if you can get #1 to put the car on Ebay with a very very high reserve (high enough that noone will buy it) & see how high anyone bids - I can assure it won't be anywhere near 100K.

Now that being said, lets think about this. If I were willing to pay 100K previously & the owners didn't want to accept that price, they essentially paid 100K for the car because they gave up my cash that I would have paid them. From the standpoint of owning a unique car, I don't blame #1 at all - I think its great & I'm happy for them, but lets not call it a good business deal.

Seriously, does anyone really think this car is EVER going to be worth more than 100K? I don't, but even if it did somehow reach that amount in the future, it will never be worth the amount that could have been made through properly investing the 70K difference that Vin #1 essentially paid for the car.

That money put in just about any real estate & held for 20, 30, 40, 50 years will be more valuable than Vin #1 could EVER EVER EVER become. So all of you who think this car is something like the lottery don't really understand business, in my opinion.

Hopefully, noone will be offended by my opinions, but I am getting tired of seeing so much said about the value of Vin #1 - get real - noone is going to pay that much money for this car - yeah, I would have for my own reasons, but I have more money than brains!!

So stay excited about getting your new cars & Vinny # 0001 - enjoy - its an expensive toy, but it sure will be nice to show all your friends at diiner, won't it!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Too Funny

You are a smart one. I would have to agree with you. I would be worried that it would turn into another Miata or something and not go for much more than MSRP in the future. Value is translated many different ways to many different people.

Who’s to say they are keeping the car as an investment standpoint anyway. Nostalgia may be playing a role and they in a since might just want to be a part of history. Besides it would make great dinner conversation.

I am sure that they have to realize that they probably won't get more for the car in the future than they would right now while the car is hot. Unless of course it turns out to be the next corvette or mustang... which even though I think it’s a great car I seriously doubt it will accomplish that feat. It is too similar to too many other cars.

Great input USA

·
Registered
905 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting too old, but life is too short to be waiting around for things to happen. If he sold his #1 car, he'd have to wait until next year to get another one. Grab life while you've got it, because you never know when it's going to end. When I get my car this Fall, I'm going to cherish it like nothing else I have every owned before (it is my first new car, 2nd car though).

Some things you just can't put a price on, to me putting my Solstice up for sale before I even drove it would be like trying to sell my future son/daughter before they were born.

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow you love that car

If they sold it they would have more than enough money to get a solstice off of ebay in short time. just a thought.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I understand your point about life being too short, but the part about them having to wait for another car isn't exactly true. I too am a first 1000 owner - my car should be delivered to me within the next couple of weeks. It happens to be exactly the same car as #1 & I would have traded mine for their plus paid them the 75K difference. So, they could have had their cake & eaten it too. But in the end, I think they like apple pie instead of cake.

Take care!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I disagree completely. There are no miles on the car yet. GM had the car trucked to their home, and if they are smart they will garage it and not drive it at all.

The car is worth at least $100,000. Maybe not to you, but definitely to someone. This is not the type of auction that would go on ebay, it would have to be auctioned at Sotheby's or Christie's. The car would either be bought by a VERY rich car collector, a Jar Leno type, Maybe some place like Golden Palace.com looking for some publicity, or possibly from a broker. Someone who can afford to spend $100,000 on a car, store it with his 200 other collectible cars and let that be that. I would be willing to bet that if you had the very first Miata ever produced right now with little to no miles on it, it would be worth substantially more than $100,000. I see no reason why the Solstice will be any different.

Being as how the lucky couple are most likely in more of a situation like the rest of us, where storing such a car for 10 years or more isn't very practical, they should put it up for auction immediately. With the profits, I would then buy one of the options for a first 1,000 which can be had for $5,000 or so above sticker and they would have a replacement within a couple of weeks. Driving a car with such a high collectible value would be a sin!

Flagg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In another thread, Vinny # 0001 mentioned that he has already driven the car & that he planned to drive it on weekends, etc...So while he does plan to keep it, it is going to get miles.

Some cars do have collectible value & theirs a CHANCE this one will also, but nothing like some members of the forum think - thats all I was trying to say.

The insurance on the car will be the same as any other Solstice - if it get sdestroyed in an accident, the insurance company will only pay the retail value of the car or possibly the depreciated value of the car, NOT a collectors value. If the current owners choose to buy some special policy for this car, it will be no different than someone insuring a ring or watch or anything else - they will pick the value they want to insure & the premium will be calculated accordingly - Again, I assure you they won't pay the extra money for the collectors value policy - it just isn't worth the money for this car.

It may make some of you feel better about your own Solstice thinking #1 is extra valuable, but it is just another Solstice!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
USA Millionaire said:
In another thread, Vinny # 0001 mentioned that he has already driven the car & that he planned to drive it on weekends, etc...So while he does plan to keep it, it is going to get miles.

Some cars do have collectible value & theirs a CHANCE this one will also, but nothing like some members of the forum think - thats all I was trying to say.

The insurance on the car will be the same as any other Solstice - if it get sdestroyed in an accident, the insurance company will only pay the retail value of the car or possibly the depreciated value of the car, NOT a collectors value. If the current owners choose to buy some special policy for this car, it will be no different than someone insuring a ring or watch or anything else - they will pick the value they want to insure & the premium will be calculated accordingly - Again, I assure you they won't pay the extra money for the collectors value policy - it just isn't worth the money for this car.

It may make some of you feel better about your own Solstice thinking #1 is extra valuable, but it is just another Solstice!!
You are exactly right. These cars at some point may have collectible value, and #1 would have a little more than the others, but nowhere near the kind of numbers people are throwing around. When collectibles have extreme value, it's usually because it's extremely rare. Other than being #1, theres nothing that will be particularly rare about this car (unless, of course, all the others disappear!).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To Sell or Not To Sell.....That is the Question......

I have bought and sold cars for years. USA Millionaire speaks the truth! Sad part about this entire thing is, the value is in the hype! I just purchased two vacation properties in the Palm Springs, CA. area. Value of these homes went up $100,000 each, two months after I purchased them, another $50,000 in four months. The number one Vin # Solstice would never appreciate like that. A great business person would take the car and put it on Sotherby's or Christies or even give it a shot at Barrett's Annual Auction. That's just my 2 cents. Sell it, invest the profit and drive another Solstice. In the end, you can't take it with you. With all that said, I appreciate Vinny #1 keeping the car. I happen to know a few car collectors (Marconi for one). He has the best of the best in his collection. I spoke with him about the Solstice, he told me $75,000 for Vin #1. Yes, someone would possibly pay more, even $100,000. But these are all just numbers in the end. Enjoy the ride Vinny! :nopity:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
USA Millionaire said:
Some cars do have collectible value & theirs a CHANCE this one will also, but nothing like some members of the forum think
Well, the value of the very first car would be tough to put a number on. There is a lot of sentimental value in it for a lot of people. Think about all the execs and management folks at GM who must have worked on this project and made a special place in their heart for the car. Many of them are surely millionaires already (yes, it's a much more common thing these days in corporate America). Think about all the dealers out there who have seen all the commotion about this car and fell in love with it themselves. There are also those involved with Trump and the Apprentice who worked on the special promotion for the launch of the car. Heck, even most of the "Apprentice" candidates who worked on the Solstice project were already millionaires. My point is that there are a lot of people out there with lots of money that would probably place a high value on having the very FIRST Solstice off the line. Many of these very first cars are never even available to the public for sale. That's was the case for VIN #1 of the SSR ... and VIN #2 sold for $137,000 when it was auctioned off. There were something like 90 bidders and a GM dealer ended up getting it. Having the very first one carries a lot of bragging rights and there are a lot of people out there with money to burn who would surely love to have that opportunity. And the more miles it has on it is sure to affect its value, but as long as they are kept very low, it won't destroy the collectibility. Oh well, any numbers we throw out would be complete speculation, but it certainly has six-figure potential. As I said, I would pay $50,000 for the car in a heartbeat if I thought I could get my hands on it (and I'm a cheap bastard). In fact, SolsticeDreamin threw out an offer of $60k that seemed genuine enough. Perhaps he would weigh in at some point to let us know if his offer was for real. At any rate, the value will surely be worth a substantial amount more than just another Solstice.

USA Millionaire said:

And since you can't have it, it may make you feel better to think of it as just another Solstice. If so, that's fine, but I doubt that trying to hammer the point home publicly will send the new owners to your door to convince you to extend your offer, so resign yourself to the fact that you aren't getting it and let it go. You shared your opinion, but it just sounds like sour grapes if you continue to harp on it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
USA Millionaire said:
Wrong. Vin #1 is insanely valuable. Mine (Somewhere between Vin #350 and #1,000) will be worth substantially less. Sure, a low vin number always adds value to a car, but nothing like VIN #1 would be.

SlySol said:
Many of these very first cars are never even available to the public for sale. That's was the case for VIN #1 of the SSR ... and VIN #2 sold for $137,000 when it was auctioned off. There were something like 90 bidders and a GM dealer ended up getting it. Having the very first one carries a lot of bragging rights and there are a lot of people out there with money to burn who would surely love to have that opportunity.
Exactly. Vin #1 never gets released to the public. People who honestly think that the very first Solstice ever produced will have no real value have no idea what they are talking about. From a collectible point of view, it will always be the most valuable Solstice ever produced.

Flagg

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You people forget that it's signed as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This will be the next subject that is beat to death. Surely someone is going to point out that #1 has already been produced and handed to the federal government or put in some GM storage facility. This is RETAIL #1...there is a difference and I (unfortunately) think this would play into future (30 yrs) value. I am not slighting the first 1000...heck...we have one coming...but really...most of us bought in because we wanted to be one of the first on a car we have been lusting for since day one.

This being said...Vinny...drive that car...enjoy it...but take care of it. I don't want to read about it coming out of some pigeon infested barn 30 years from now! Look how many "valuable" Corvettes have been found this way.

Don't keep yourself from enjoying EVERY minute of that car. BTW...ours is identical and will probably be somewhere around #300 range in my guesstimate. It will be driven and enjoyed...and would have received the same life it had been your #.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Being the first of a new series of cars will always make this valuable. How much? Time will tell. History does show the less miles on the original car and least amount of changes made to it make it more valuable. If the SSR VIN 002 can go for $115K then expect the VIN 001 Solstice will go at least that high.

Keep the car safe and sound and enjoy being the owner of a very special car.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Don't forget, the first several SSR's have been purchased (special Signature Series, only 25 of them built), the first one for over $130,000 (VIN 000002, #1 is in the GM museum) on e-bay.

The value of these trucks is substantially lower now - I've seen #'s in the high teen VIN that sold for over $70,000 now going for just a bit above $50,000 (#18 and/or #19?)

The volume for these special truck/roadsters is lower than the first 1000 Solstices, and the volume for the SSR is half that of the intended volume of the Solstice.

Just more food for thought.

·
Registered
292 Posts
LOL. You guys are talking "peanuts" . :lol: Check this site out and see what the "Big Boys" are willing to spend for a little steel, glass and rubber. If someone in these people's league wanted Solstice #1 , Vinny would be getting "an offer he couldn't refuse". :) I know that's one of those "big ifs", but stranger things have happened. Me? I'd take the $100K, buy another Solstice and pay off some bills with the change. :)

http://askmen.com/toys/top_10_60/75_top_10_list.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sour grapes, SSR comparisons, now multimillion dollar collector car comparisons, yada, yada, yada - we are talking business people, not dreamland.

As I stated before, I couldn't be happier for Vinny #1 - I hope they keep the car forever, drive it, enjoy it, make it a part of every conversation they have with friends over dinner, & keep it for their kids, grandkids, or whoever else may be important to them over time.

My issue is not with Vinny #1 keeping the car or me not getting the car - its just a discussion about business & the potential investment value of keeping the car. It appears to me that the overwhelming majority of the forum is in agreement that Vin #1 has very little additional future value to any other 1st 1000 Solstice, which confirms my point. Their is not a financial value that can be placed on Vinny #1's persoal benefits from owning & driving this car, but its not the best business/investment decision - its an emotional, fun, exciting, & probably very rewarding decision, but not a long term profitable decision - thats all I was trying to say.

Just business people, so - Flagg, Slysol, I only have one thing to say,

YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
USA Millionaire said:

Again, I assure you they won't pay the extra money for the collectors value policy - it just isn't worth the money for this car.

It seems to me that you are contradicting yourself. One post you say it's just another Solstice, but it must have some value to you to being the 1st built or you wouldn't offer your identical car and $75K. If it is just you throwing money away why not do something good with it and help those less fortunate. Start a program that can make a difference in people's lives. Seems like a better way to throw away $100K if the car has no extra value!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
spyderone,

Maybe you should read the entire post & you might better understand my viewpoint. As I stated earlier, Vin #1, had a specific value to me for (charitable) reasons, not for investment or business reasons. I also made it clear that the 100K value was a value place on the car before Pontiac delivered it to the new owners, ie...it no longer has that value to me or the charity!!

So, I don't see the contradiction & furthermore, the reason it had value to begin with for me was for reasons relating to charity, which is specifically geared toward making a difference in peoples live's, not just throwing money around - Iyeayiee!!!!!!!!!!!

USA

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Well, guys and dolls, the #1 Brunette Ponytail Barbie was going for $7k three years ago. The blonde ponytail went for $6,900. Considering the doll cost all of $4.00, that's quite a mark up.
I can see the value increasing by 500%. Barbie increased by 150,000%. :lol:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 125 Posts