Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our cars will not be here for the summer solstice of 2005, how about a get together for the 2006 Solstice? We could pick several sites so that nobody had to drive more than a thousand miles.

Imagine the sun rising over fields of Solstices......

then setting after a day of celebrating

·
Registered
59 Posts
Summer Solstice!!!

GREAT IDEA!!! :agree: I would nominate Wichita Kansas for the Mid-US, maybe Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri and Iowa!!!
Best part, I'm sure GM would love to at least sponsor it to add to the Buzz!! :party:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Regional groups could certainly organize areas to meet, but I would think that there should be one main, big national gathering. Even if the initial turnout isn't huge, it will certainly grow as more people get into Solstices and interested in them.

The site could remain somewhat centralized, or travel around too.

Or, there could be a few main events, spread around the country, but on different weekends. Such as an early spring event somewhere in the south to give the snow birds a respite from bad weather, maybe a central location for the summer Solstice to give the best possible turnout, a northern location in the fall to coincide with the trees turning colors, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We should get a breakdown of where everyone is who would attend. From that we could pick a central point for each area. I am in Northern Cali. near San Jose.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Excellent Idea!

The f-body mailing list used to have a get-together at Memphis Motorsports Park a few years back. (I think they moved it to Bowling Green, KY.) I attended in 1998, and it was a fantastic event. You definately need an organizer who is dedicated and has done this sort of thing in the past. Marketing experience is a big plus, too.

We had special rates at a local hotel, 3(?) days at the track, divided between drag racing, autocross, and a "driving school" on the roadrace course. (For insurance purposes the roadrace course part of the weekend had to have no official timing, instructors who road along with beginners, cars grouped by speed & driver experience, etc. There was a driver's meeting the night before, with basic instructions, etc.)

The year we went we also had a group field trip to Graceland, with a BBQ dinner there and a talk by an influential Pontiac bigwig, who's name I now forget. Hypertech was there with their dyno, 3 runs for $20, if I recall. GM brought in a tractor-trailer with a display, etc. I think there were >100 cars there that year.

It was a great way to meet people face to face, learn about your car, check out modifications that other people had made, get ideas, etc.

To decide on a location, we would probably have to take a poll to see where everyone lives. Memphis worked out pretty well for the f-body group. We had people from all over the US, Canada, and even a European or two, without their cars, of course. One group from California flew in, rented a Cadillac, and used it for all of the events. :)

Regional events are good, too. The advantage is that you can have them more often. A big national meeting is more likely to generate interest from GM and the aftermarket, though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Great idea, but...

Fformula88 said:
Regional groups could certainly organize areas to meet, but I would think that there should be one main, big national gathering. Even if the initial turnout isn't huge, it will certainly grow as more people get into Solstices and interested in them.

The site could remain somewhat centralized, or travel around too.

Or, there could be a few main events, spread around the country, but on different weekends. Such as an early spring event somewhere in the south to give the snow birds a respite from bad weather, maybe a central location for the summer Solstice to give the best possible turnout, a northern location in the fall to coincide with the trees turning colors, etc.
great, but how about at a track where we can open them up a little? Like maybe Road America?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
great, but how about at a track where we can open them up a little? Like maybe Road America?
Absolutely. See what Waitingforboost has to say.

With the Fiero people. CFOGi has been doing the national events the last couple years along those same lines. They make a weekend for it, have a show day, a track day, cruises thrown in, or "events" for people to participate in.

The downside to having a track day is getting it organized. Due to the cost of getting a track reserved, you generally need a fairly large number of people to confirm attendance and reserve a spot for the track time, and then pay in advance. It is definately possible to do, but it is often very difficult to get people to actually commit to it. You can post on a forum, and get all kinds of people who will say they would do it! Then ask for the cash to get it reserved, and they all disappear.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gopherman said:
GREAT IDEA!!! :agree: I would nominate Wichita Kansas for the Mid-US, maybe Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri and Iowa!!!
Best part, I'm sure GM would love to at least sponsor it to add to the Buzz!! :party:
BOB..What do you think of his idea?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It might be a good idea to hookup with the fiero guys. After all some may say this is Pintiacs crack at a new Fiero.

They may welcome us.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
This sounds Familiar...

robrecht said:
I think there should be women dancing naked in the woods at midnight. :devil:
Do I detect some Scandavian heritage here?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SlipSlider said:
It might be a good idea to hookup with the fiero guys. After all some may say this is Pointiacs crack at a new Fiero.

They may welcome us.

I wish all the Fiero guys were open to the Solstice like the contingent we have on this forum (we have a decent amount here now!). However, there seems to be a good amount of negative feelings towards the Solstice over on the Fiero forum too. Not everyone of course, but some of them are upset that its not a mid-engine car like the Fiero, or its not plastic, or whatever their reasoning is.

That said, I think most Fiero enthusiats would be enthusiastic about another affordable Pontiac sports car. It seems most enthusiasts can appreciate any quality sports car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Florida for the Winter Spring.. it is great driving weather... :cool: Orlando... I'm going to Disney World! Hey, wait a minute... I must be dreaming!! if I have to drive anywhere, what do I pack... or should I say, where do I pack? 1.4 CF of trunk space will be enough for a pair of jeans and a few T's and perhaps not a second pair of shoes. This is SERIOUS cuz with what my wife :cuss: packs she will have to ship clothing ahead... :devil: but then again, perhaps she wont go... :yesnod:

I think we'd better make em regional meets.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts