Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if my car is on display this weekend at the dealer and someone offers me $30,000 for it. Could this if fact happen? I think I would be a fool if I turned it down. Would the car have to be titled to me first? Could another dealer, let's say, a high end dealer make me an offer on the Black Beauty?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If it is one of the first 1000, it has to be sold to you first. That means you will probably have the added expense of tax that the new buyer will then have to pay again. While I may entertain the idea of selling mine for the right price, $30k wouldn't cut it. Assuming you have some options on it, you would only be looking at a couple of grand profit after figuring in the tax. To me, being the first in the area to have one is easily worth that. Now maybe an extra ten grand or so in my pocket would change my mind.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SlySol said:
If it is one of the first 1000, it has to be sold to you first. That means you will probably have the added expense of tax that the new buyer will then have to pay again.
Whether the new buyer has to pay it again depends on what state you live in. In Arizona you don't have to pay sales tax on a private transaction.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Editguy said:
Whether the new buyer has to pay it again depends on what state you live in. In Arizona you don't have to pay sales tax on a private transaction.
Yep, that's true ... partly why I covered my ass with probably. There are a couple of other exceptions that come to mind also. Somebody mentioned that one state would refund the tax if it was resold within a certain time frame (30 days or so). Also, some individuals who have a license to resell cars may be able to get around it. Most private sales aren't taxed in any enforcible manner but unfortunately, Florida collects the tax on cars as soon as you go to register it. From what I've heard, most states seem to do it that way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
jandouglass said:
What if my car is on display this weekend at the dealer and someone offers me $30,000 for it. Could this if fact happen? I think I would be a fool if I turned it down. Would the car have to be titled to me first? Could another dealer, let's say, a high end dealer make me an offer on the Black Beauty?
Well, the person offering you $30,000 would be a bigger fool. But I doubt the dealer would play ball with you and help in any way to close the transaction. He's also not likely to even pass the information on when the Goober tells him he'll pay $30,000 for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
danlbrau said:
Well, the person offering you $30,000 would be a bigger fool.
Why would the person paying $30k be a fool? Assuming the car is loaded $5k is not much of a premium to pay to have it now. Every one of us buying a new car is paying about a $5k premium to have it now, if it's like every other car we could wait a year and buy a used one under warranty in perfect condition for $5k less.

·
Registered
288 Posts
stang said:
This car is getting less and less rare every day. I just don't see a point in paying a premium on a mass produced car. :nonod:
Well.... #1, if you wanted to buy a Sosltice tomorrow, you would most likely be waiting 6 months or more to get one.

And #2, Ford will produce 192,000 Ford Mustangs this year alone. It will take almost 10 years for there to be that many Solstices on the road, so it's always going to be a relatively rare car when compared to other mass produced cars.

Flagg

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Flagg said:
Well.... #1, if you wanted to buy a Sosltice tomorrow, you would most likely be waiting 6 months or more to get one.

And #2, Ford will produce 192,000 Ford Mustangs this year alone. It will take almost 10 years for there to be that many Solstices on the road, so it's always going to be a relatively rare car when compared to other mass produced cars.

Flagg
That gets me thinking. I wonder if GM will find a way to increase Solstice production within the next few years. They say they are planning a coupe and if they can hold the price down I could see the market for a roadster and coupe expand. I would love to see 192,000 Solsti produced. As a commuter car, the Solstice is great. It fits you and a briefcase. Plus, you'll never have to be the one to drive at lunch.

·
Registered
288 Posts
stang said:
That gets me thinking. I wonder if GM will find a way to increase Solstice production within the next few years. They say they are planning a coupe and if they can hold the price down I could see the market for a roadster and coupe expand. I would love to see 192,000 Solsti produced. As a commuter car, the Solstice is great. It fits you and a briefcase. Plus, you'll never have to be the one to drive at lunch.
Well, being a 2 seater, the Solstice will never have the universal appeal that the Mustang has, so I couldn't imagine there being THAT much demand. But then again, you never know!! What's ironic is that even at that production level, even USED 2005 GT mustangs are currentlyWHOLESALING above original sticker price, so with substantially lower supply, it seems a given that the Solstice market will be tight for awhile.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=20584
Bill Summers Ford in North Platte, Neb., bid more than sticker price for two used Mustang GTs in one week. And the dealership, which has taken delivery of only one 2005 Mustang so far, still didn't win the auctions.

"I got so angry I walked away," said used-car manager Matt Smith after bidding on a red GT with 5,307 miles at a March 24 Manheim auction in Denver. The car, which had an original sticker price of around $27,000, according to dealers, ended up selling wholesale for $29,900.

Paying over sticker for a used car sounds crazy. But Smith said customers are so eager for Mustangs that dealers can recoup their money. "On a daily basis, we have someone calling and looking for a GT," he said.

Unfortunately, the process that GM used to produce the Solstice is a double edged sword. It allowed them to produce a limited production vehicle like the SOL profitably, but it does not easily allow them to substantially increase production numbers. They simply cannot produce more than 20,000 - 30,000 cars per year in the existing production facility. Unless GM forsees that demand will remain substantially higher for an extended period of time they will not expand the line. Personally, I predict that demand will remain high, so I assume that eventually they will have to expand production accordingly.

Flagg

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about the low production, I love that I can have a car thats somewhat exclusive, but with higher production we could get more aftermarket support.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I still believe that, unless GM deliberately holds the numbers down, this car would sell more than the 20,000 a year that GM intends to produce. I think it will take quite a while for the buzz to wear off, simply because it's such a beautiful car.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't think I'd give up my car for anything under 10k above my cost.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think they could easily sell 30,000 during this model year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Editguy said:
I think they could easily sell 30,000 during this model year.
Yeah this model year, but not likely on average over the next 5. Why spend $$ on additional tooling for a first year blip. If they sell an average of 30k kappas convertibles per year over the life of this generation then congrats to them on a fantastic job!

·
Registered
504 Posts
They say everything has its price,but if you ask whats my price for Litha.You couldn't afford it,guaranteed,trust me.... :nonod: :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts