Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been digging through the wiring diagrams for the vehicle and I came across this schematic. Lets see who can find the problem with it.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

It's kind of hidden a little and I am not able to find what is actually correct in any of the schematics I have. Maybe someone has a schematic that shows it correctly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What system are you pulling schematics from? The GM ones I look at don't have the notes about where splices are located, not sure where that info comes from. I've found errors in the GM stuff, but I can usually loop around and find the right info in other diagrams.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Not sure I see anything 'wrong'. However, the two versions of the schematics that I have does show a different multi-function switch wiring...

Schematic Rectangle Slope Parallel Font

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Material property

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
different multi function switches may be due to different models/options and somebody didnt specify with model they go with or shoe both in a diagram. Or there was a revision that didnt make it to the diagrams. been there delt with that long ago.Ive rewired many birds nest wacked up/burnt up car harnesses ,usualy with a good diagram . it wasn't hard at all back then, nowadays...I would buy new harness.( I did but a new harness for my coupe just encase there was a issue. I cant see squat or remember things like that.any more so that seemd to be the right way to go ) many times diagrams are just copies of other ones, so if there is something rong on the first one the coppies may also be rong. thats where thinking has to take over...or not.rember switches may have different functions that may not be clearly seen.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ground for the lamp in the steering wheel control is wrong. It doesn't pass through the clock spring and it's grounded behind the passenger seat..

No schematic I have seen yet shows the clock spring as being in the ground circuit.

@TomatoSoup

I thought you would have caught that one.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Material property

There are lots of cases in the vehicle where wire color changes or the diameter of the wire changes when there is an inline clip involved. If you have the monsoon audio system the wire diameters are larger then the base audio system but only for the IP harness not the door harnesses. The door harnesses are 0.8mm in sectional area and with the monsoon system the door speaker wires are 1.0 mm in sectional area. The base audio system is 0.8mm in sectional area for the front speakers in the IP harness and also in the door harness.

As you can see in the image above the interior lighting wire color changes from Gray/Black to Gray once it passes through the clock spring. The ground for the LEDs in the steering wheel controls is not shown as passing through the clock spring and is grounded behind the drivers seat. How how did that wire manage to get down the steering column without passing through the clock spring.

This is where it gets really interesting. I have the pinouts and wire information for each and every clip in the vehicle as well. The X1 clip and the X2 clip are the designations for the clips on either side of the clock spring. Neither one has a ground wire that is black/white, only a black wire is shown.

I pulled the schematics for the IPC, Horn, Interior lights, Radio, Airbags and the Ground Distribution. Finally a schematic that shows what is going on. Only one of them shows the splice point in the steering wheel as there must be one because the horn, left SWC and right SWC all need to be grounded. But even the one with the splice point doesn't show the same wire colors as what is seen in the pinout for the clips that plugs into the clock spring.

Now if memory serves the splice point is actually not a splice point at all. It is a ground point where the wires are screwed down. This is done because of how the horn switch is made. I believe the wire that runs from the screw to the clock spring clip is in fact black while the rest are black/white. NO schematic shows this.

Here are the pinouts for the steering wheel controls and the clock spring.

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

This is the IPC diagram. Here they really messedup as no clock spring is shown at all even for the signal wire going from the SWC to the IPC

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

This is the cruise control diagram. At least this one shows the ground going through the clock spring but pay attetion to how the attachment for the SWC is made. At the horn.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Engineering

Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

Here it shows all the grounds but also a junction/splice. No information is given for that splice. J235

See how the splice is off the second wire that is attached to the horn? That second wire is a terminal ring that has both SWC grounds attached to it. there is another terminal ring on the wire that going to the clock spring. These are screwed down to the backing plate for the horn. I think the piece of wire that runs between the backing plate for the horn and the clock spring is in fact black.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Yep, you got me :). but in my defense (and GM's) I think that's why it's shown as a dashed line. In my schematics, the backlight LEDs show a solid line ground through the clockspring. Pretty much everything else shows a dashed line direct to ground.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
Yep, you got me :). but in my defense (and GM's) I think that's why it's shown as a dashed line. In my schematics, the backlight LEDs show a solid line ground through the clockspring. Pretty much everything else shows a dashed line direct to ground.
It is pretty commpn for the supply-side wiring to be shown in correct and complete detail on the applicable power drawing, and for the grounding drawing to have complete and correct detail of the ground-side wiring. Just as is done here.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was going to posit that maybe ground travelled through the steering wheel and steering column mass, to the ground attachment point behind the seat..? Meaning it doesn't use a wire and uses the metal mass of the steering wheel and shaft instead.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is pretty commpn for the supply-side wiring to be shown in correct and complete detail on the applicable power drawing, and for the grounding drawing to have complete and correct detail of the ground-side wiring. Just as is done here.

if that is the case then why is the ground depicted in the horn schematic with the clock spring. And also in the cruise control diagram?? If it followed that logic the clock spring for the ground would not be visible in those schematics and it would only be visible in the ground distribution schematic.

I think that someone over at GM screwed up and forgot to add the clock spring and also the correct wiring colors.

I have come across several places already where the wire color is incorrect and also places where one place says the wire diameter is x and another says that the same wire is y. As an example. The driver door, the grounds. the window switched have a 2.0mm ground and there is a junction in the door to tie in the grounds for the mirrors and the door locks. The inline clip that connected the door harness to the IP harness says the ground is 0.35mm... That's kinda a bit in the small side for supplying ground to the drivers door when the power feed is 2mm. The power feed in the inline clip is the correct size. DC volts the reutrn MUST be the same size as the supply no exceptions.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to posit that maybe ground travelled through the steering wheel and steering column mass, to the ground attachment point behind the seat..? Meaning it doesn't use a wire and uses the metal mass of the steering wheel and shaft instead.

If it moves it cannot be used as a ground. doors, trunk lids, steering wheels cannot be used as a ground. The ground MUST be made to the same chunk of metal the battery is attached to.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much everything else shows a dashed line direct to ground.

The dashed lines represent multiple things being tied to the junction point that is shown at the start of the dashes. In almost all of the grounds there is a junction point before the actual ground connection. some have dashes and some do not. the ones that do not do not have other wires connected. The junction point on those is there to indicate the terminal ring connection.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
many cars use the steering shaft as a ground. when they had a rag joint they usualy had a jumper wire across it. I dont have a clue if gm does it or not.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That kind of a thing may have been done before airbags and when there was only a horn that could have an issue. The horn also probably didn't have a relay so there was a decent amount of current draw which would help make the connection. If it was a crappy connection the horn would sound like it was dying.

It has been a long time since any manufacturer used the rotating assembly of a steering column as a ground.

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
26 Posts
The main problem I see for me with this, is that it is so far over my head in technical skill, it might as well be Greek. I do admire the knowledge in those who know and understand it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was concerned that it appeared the air bag was connected to the switch. Then I realized it was the clock spring.
Gotta love the Labels on some of these diagrams!
I do not believe any grounds actually go through the clock spring.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
I was concerned that it appeared the air bag was connected to the switch. Then I realized it was the clock spring.
Gotta love the Labels on some of these diagrams!
I do not believe any grounds actually go through the clock spring.
The only ground in the steering wheel is (I believe) for the switch backlights but it certainly does go through the clickspring.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not greek. Your issue is you are attempting to "read" it and you are seeing it as something more then it actually is...

It's as simple as follow the colored lines. from one end to the other. Don't over think the diagrams. and in most causes you don't even really need to look at them.

at each end of the colored lines there is a number, letter or a letter with a number. This is the designation for the pin in the clip where the wire terminates. If you looked really carefully at one of the clips the first pin is going to be marked with 1, A , A1 or something similar. There is another number that is sometimes at one end of a line or at both. if they are at both the number will be the same. That is the circuit number. It is the number that GM has given to that circuit. For the interior lights GM has given that circuit the number 8. so anything marked with an 8 is going to be attached to each other somewhere in the vehicle.

Just follow the lines.... That's all you need to do.That will allow you to use the schematics. Vocabulary used in the schematics can easily be google searched. Clockspring, what's a clockspring??!?!? a quich google search for "clockspring definition" reveals this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clockspring

Now you know what a clockspring is. LOL.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the horn operates with a ground trigger and the horn switch in the steering wheel is connected to ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts