Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have asked me about my opinion on different brands of detailing supplies. Before I went pro and opened my business, I used many of the same products you guys use. Zymol, Mothers, Meguiars and, yes, even Turtle Wax. Once I started using professional grade supplies, I discovered that there was a HUGE difference in the quality, application and durability. I tell people it's kind of like eating at Burger King when you use over the counter stuff, it works fine, it fills you up, but once you go downtown and have a steak at the Chop House, you're spoiled. That's the way it is with professional grade. I even went so far as to ask these chemical companies to make these products available to the public and I was amazed at how the responses were all the same between these suppilers. They only want to pack in 50 gallon drums or the smallest 5 gallon sizes. They also don't want to deal with customers calling in and asking questions. Meguiars is the only company that has a toll free number for consumers and it's a financial loser for them. These chemical companies know this. Have you ever tried to call the number for Meguiars? They used to have technical people answering the phones, but now they have inexperienced people there to keep costs down. That is the main reason I started selling professional grade products (again a reminder I can't talk about them yet until I become a sponsor).
Here is some inside information to educate you a little.
Meguiars has a brown bottle and a red bottle , you see the red bottle sell at discount stores mostly and the brown bottle at automotive stores. The red bottle is watered down, mostly ineffective; the brown bottle is higher quality.
Zymol brings up lots of conversation in the detailing clinics I host, I love to talk about their estate glazes. I start out by asking the audience how much they spend on waxes or sealants. I started out by asking who spends $75 for an 8 oz bottle. Usually one or no hands go up. Then I ask who spends $50, a few more hands come up, but very few. Then $25, more hands, and the magic number is around $10 when I see the most. Then I bring out the copies from Zymols web site. Their entry level glaze is $75, next step up is $133, then $384 then $796 and finally $1299!!! FOR AN 8 OZ BOTTLE OF WAX!!!! I tell them that not just Jay Leno and David Letterman buy this stuff, but average people like them looking for the best products to apply on their car. Fact: the best or most expensive car wax will last 30 days on a driver car, whether you spend $1200 on Zymol or $1.99 on Turtle Wax. Unfortunately it;s eneducated people throwing their money around as Zymol stock goes up. Chemicals are NOT expensive. bottom liine. I have been in the business to save people money since I opened my doors. The best thing I ever did was to start detailing clinics, which are now spreading across the nation. I can't (and won't) tell people what to use on their car, I just give people (better) options. What really drives me crazy is that many people either don't know about synthetic paint sealants or are afraid to use them. Truth is most sealants are eaiser to apply than wax, and cheaper as well. Stay tuned for more.............Gary :agree:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Your articles are worth the price of admission alone! Keep 'em coming! I know nothing about car care products, I'll just sit back and listen.
:lurk:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
the best or most expensive car wax will last 30 days on a driver car, whether you spend $1200 on Zymol or $1.99 on Turtle Wax./
What are you saying exactly?. So if the car still beeds(spelling) after 30 days, what is producing this effect?.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The technology today is going toward "sheeting action" rather then "beading action" ,reason is this. When water beads, and dries (especially in the sun) it can leave water spots. Water spots left on the finish for a prolonged period of time will "etch" the clearcoat. So to anwser your question, just because your finish "beads" does not mean your finish is protected, just the same as just because is doesn't bead, does not mean it isn't protected. I work with chemists everyday. The bottom line is to apply a synthetic to get the best product applied and do it on a regular basis. Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts