Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a slight question in regards to applying touch up paint using a brush. I touched up several points at the end of the door where the previous owner appears to have bang the door with something. At any rate, I know this brush up paint doesn't exactly level. Is it okay to sand the base coat before applying clear coat? I don't want it to look funny. Not sure if this would affect a metallic color either (Magnetic).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Lightly sand with 1000/1500 grit wet (with hard backer). When it's level, buff with compound. If its small you may not need clear coat to blend.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
lol - again I'm with Hubert on this one. Then again, I'm with Sting also.

I've done plenty of repairs with 1500 grit paper and buffing. You have to be very patient. As for buffing, be sure to use the least aggressive product that works. 3M Finesse It II works well, but I believe you have to buy a full quart of it. Meguiar's makes many good products that work well also.

As Sting mentioned, the Dr. Color chip product has a solid reputation. I'm about to purchase some myself to clean up the rash on the rear wheel wells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts